The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT!

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 48 of 48
WVHillbilly

• Total Posts: 406
RE: CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT! Sun, 06/18/06 11:20 PM (permalink)
960, Laying at my feet right now is a little black lab type dog about three or four month old that someone threw out up the road from me. When I came along he was pulling himself out of the creek. He was too young and pretty to leave. A search of the surrounding few miles revealed no one who knew the dog or wanted the dog, so now I have four. People seem to think farmers always want another dog or cat so they chuck them out somewhere near a farm.
I'm with you. Empty the clip in their tires.

Pat T Hat

• Total Posts: 968
    RE: CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT! Mon, 06/19/06 12:05 AM (permalink)
    Aren't they just amazing! Kudo's to you and your uncle (you to Mr.Hillbilly), so many(to many) people would just chase it off and have nothing to do with it. It always makes me wonder how someone can have so little compassion. It can't alway's be how they were raised or how tough it was growing up. Some folks are just born with something missing inside.
    By the way, sounding strange ain't a bad thing. It's when your acting while sounding that get's you that all-inclusive government sponsored vacation.
    Now about them steaks. About eight years ago I got hit by a car......?

Copperhedzkettle

• Total Posts: 293
      RE: CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT! Mon, 06/19/06 4:59 PM (permalink)

V960
      " No, actually the straw is a great idea.......

Sorry its been so long getting back to you about the bleach/straw method. I hated to put him in a concrete floor kettle, but it is easier to clean and I was hoping the straw/cedar shavings would help his tootsies. Thanks for the information and support! He is making a miraculous recovery! He has been on 500mg Amoxacillan (three in the morn) (three at night). And I think I can cease with that medication.

The hot spots are healing and the raw meat left by the maggots looks better and better ever day. I aint kiddin when I say those maggots probably saved his life. I believe he is a full-blooded black chow......and as soon as he is photogenic I will post photos!.

V960
      " No pictures but a disturbing comment on people......

NOW I AM ENRAGED!
      What kind of pi$$ poor excuse for a human does this kind of thing?
      Freaking DEMON SEED????????
      Yeah V, wear yer spectacles, and report his/her skanky tail.
      Glad yer uncle is interested!
      Yehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! for the white hats!.

WVhilbilly
      "People seem to think farmers always want another dog or cat so they chuck them out somewhere near a farm.

I guess its cos the idiots figure they wont get run over in the country......hell, just starve to death. Farmers/country folks got a BIG heart. Good for you WVh!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with you. Empty the clip in their tires.

Bwa-hahhahhhahhahhahahahahahahahahahahha

I tote a .380 when out and about the land. I KNOW its a peashooter, but fits in my jeans rather nicely. I keep the Ruger in the Pick-up.
      I'm thinkin iffen this happens to me where I see the AH dumping the animal, I will flash him a bit of breast, then when he pulls over (iffen its a guy) i will strike up a conversation to get him out of the vehicle and then spray the heck out of his peepers with Mace, then kick his stones about six inches into his stomach.

No need to shoot his tires, I wouldn't waste my ammo on the Scum.
      Course, you don't have that option WVh/V960.

Course iffen its a gal you could.........

Bwa-hahahahhaahahahahhaha

Pat T Hat
      "Some folks are just born with something missing inside.

Aint that the truth, serial killers have been known to torture animals as children. They got something missing alright. It called a SOUL

The Copper

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
        RE: CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT! Mon, 06/19/06 6:09 PM (permalink)
        The dog is doing great. Played w/ him in the front yard today and he has a few tender spots basically comes back playing. Wish I hadn't, no not really, called my Uncle.

My Uncle hasn't much time left and this dog will give him a few more months at least. He landed at Normandy after going through North Africa and Italy. Went all the way to Berlin and never got a single ding. I spend four months in Vietnam and am out on a medical after a crash. He is in his mid eighties and can still work me in the ground. Gonna miss Willie when he's gone.

prisonchef

• Total Posts: 296
          RE: CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT! Mon, 06/19/06 6:30 PM (permalink)
          copper,
          glad the dog is coming around nicely. it never ceases to amaze me how cruel people are to animals. i have 2 greyhounds. my big old male moose, raced at 84 lbs and now is a slightly higher 92 lbs, was trained by an all woman kennel. they treated him well and he loves anything and everything. my little redheaded female big corvette is a whole nother story. when we got her she wouldn't come out of the bedroom for 3 days. moose finally coaxed her out by taking all his toys to here. she has more scars then carter's has pills but in view of the racing kennel she came from this is hardly suprising. always swore if i ever met her trainer i would scar him up good. after 2 years of having them we had a guy talking to us at the farmers market where we sell bbq. he saw our greyhound adoption poster and asked how we got the name of "2 greyhounds....smokin!!!!. told him it was cause we had moose and corvette. guy wanted to know moose's racing name which was tmc's midnite run and it was like a lite bulb went off!!!! said his trainer was too soft on dogs and then he let it slip. this sob trained corvette by putting her muzzled in with his dominate female unmuzzled to "let her know who the boss was" this explained the scars!!!! i gritted my teeth and asked since he knew how fast moose was did he remember how fast corvette was on her 1st schooling race(she was 1.5 secs quicker than moose and he about set the record at orange park only missing it by .01 secs). he couldn't quite remeber the details but i refreshed his memory and asked is that why her times fell off by 4 secs on the other two?? neat training technique!!! now i have promised myself that if i ever met who trained her i was going to hurt them. this a..hole advised me he didn't care and he was buying a bbq plate. ok now i had a problem, my wife was advising him to just leave and fast as she remebered how nice i was when i came out of the service back in 70 (she told me later that she was afraid with all my chefs knives i would go rice paddy on him) so i gave him a choice we could take his order and assuming he could beat me like he did corvette it would be free.....or if he didn't i could just keep tormenting him like he did my dog and when i felt he had enough scars i would stop. thankfully his wife drug him away but when he went to the next vendor they refused him service!!!! from what i understand while i was talking to this dude the other vendors were passing out the word and he left with no one selling anything to him.
          on the subject of fighting dogs. this is one of the reasons that when you adopt a greyhound you sign a 3 page contract as these "fighting gentlemen" were getting greyhounds as training meat for their dogs.
          my own feelings are well known concerning pits,bdf, rotties and dobbies. they are good dogs in the purebred state and are stable. unfortunately you have owners who aren't and only buy them because they are cowards and bullies and have the dog do the dirty work. it's kind of like gun ownership. to this day i have never seen a gun walk up and hurt someone. in every case there was a human on the other end.
          but this much i am sure of
          there is a special place reserved in hell for people who mistreat animals!!!!
          sorry if i rambled
          jack
          2 greyhounds....smokin!!!!

V960

RE: CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT! Mon, 06/19/06 9:00 PM (permalink)
            Prisonchef,
            I hope to God you're not trolling me...I'm gullible as the anything. I can imagine people going to the pound for "sparing partners" in this strange sport but buying a Greyhound?

There are still many many breeders of fighting cocks in NC and TN. They pound a piece of rebar into the ground, chain a rooster to it and put a plastic barrel beside it. That is the home of a fighting rooster. You will see fields full of this arrangement. One of the largest is on hwy 10 just outside of Loudon, TN.

Strange world we live in isn't it?

prisonchef

RE: CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT! Mon, 06/19/06 11:27 PM (permalink)
              v960,
              nope no bull on the meat for fighting dogs. the whole greyhound adoption thing was set up in the early 90's to conteract the bad press the breeders had recieved when it was released that over 100k greys were killed by the breeders and the bettors fell off a little. it is a good program paid for by both the breeders and tracks to prevent this occuring again plus the breeders put in place voluntary reductions in the number of dogs breed. they also will not let you export one to asia for obvious reasons. all dogs are spayed or nuetered and come with current vet reports. heck mine even came with 6 months of heart worm medicine. i never understood why fighters would get them but i had a person explain to me that it made the pits faster trying to get a grey. the bad part is greys are fast for about a mile but after that they fall off in speed which makes sense as they were developed by the egyptians as a way to get game in the desert and being animals of prey they go for short spurts kind of like hawks or wolves or any prey animal does.
              funny part is i have no problem with fighting cocks as they come out of the shell wanting to do that and need no training to do it. dogs however i have a real problem with as they have to be taught to fight and for me that is a betrayal of the dogs trust in me since a dog views a human as alpha male and will do anything to please the alpha.
              so while i wish i was b.s.ing about it bad part is to this day i get calls from the adoption people checking up on moose and corvette just like they do all of the adopted ones. if i ever was unable to care for the dogs the contract states that i must return them to the adoption agency.
              you are right. it is a strange world. to this day my seabee dad resents the flips in manila. while the battle of the walled city was being fought they were in the big cock fighting arena in manila betting on the chickens. to this day he hates them. to make it even more strange i never once heard him speak ill of the japenese soliders on gaudacanal but he told me his happiest day of the war was ripping out the plumbing from flip homes to rebuild the harbor. go figure!!!

Copperhedzkettle

RE: CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT! Tue, 06/20/06 12:16 PM (permalink)

V960
                Glad the little one is doing well, he/she will make glorious companionship for your Uncle.

prisonchef
                I went to the dog tracks once about 3 years ago! Never Again. I mean it was exciting and all, but I got very little loving feelings when they trotted the competitors out. I wanted to adopt everyone!

I believe in working dogs.

Sled Dogs
                Cadaver Dogs
                Guard dogs
                Herding Dogs
                Unconditional loving Dogs.

I am aware of meat dogs (Ugh), and the breeds that laboratorys prefer (docile and willing to please), and fighting dogs (CS) but for the Love of Peter, Paul, Mary and Joseph..... My dogs aren't just a dog someone can shoot, steal or mistreat.....they are my family!!!!!!! They would die to protect me, doesn't that mean anything anymore?

I give to the SPCA and Humane Society, but I feel we are loosing the battle. In this world of new cars, big new homes, private schools for the kids, bling-bling, cosmetic sugery, manicure, pedicure......animals are merely throw-aways..

Am I the only one who believes we were put here to care for them.

The Copper

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                  RE: CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT! Tue, 06/20/06 7:04 PM (permalink)
                  How about therapy dogs and drug-sniffing dogs? They rock, too.

I just love dogs. All dogs.

WVHillbilly

• Total Posts: 406
                    RE: CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT! Tue, 06/20/06 7:21 PM (permalink)
                    If you "give to the humane society" you are probably supporting the mass extermination of dogs and cats.

V960

RE: CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT! Tue, 06/20/06 7:31 PM (permalink)
                      Prisonchef,
                      The speed thing does make sense. My Dad would always cross a Quarter horse w/ an Appolosa to give it some bottom or wind. Quarter horse takes off so quickly you'd better be ready or it was a case of dusting yourself off and then catching the horse. They've got it out of the gate but no bottom.

War does strange things to people. My father saw what was done to some of his men by the Japanese and never forgot it. He was stationed at Yokosuka,Japan twice. During the occupation and again for the Korean War. He was a kind and wonderful man but I don't think I would want to be a Japanese in front of his 6'4" frame coming down the street during the occupation time period.

BTW...roosters can be sweet and wonderful. I have two that that are still alive. One is a good fellow, Big Red, he is three years old. Another is a feather footed bantie who is just over a year old. I do however have two scars on my legs (I wear shorts even in winter) from roos no longer w/ us...well they are w/ us but just as canned chicken stock. Tasty little fellas.

V960

RE: CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT! Thu, 06/22/06 7:57 PM (permalink)
                        To keep everyone up to date we moved our little "toss out" to my Uncle's house today. My Uncle is very old school and doesn't have AC. He has more money than God but won't spend it, except on farm equipment. Anyway the dog has been living in an AC'ed house for the past week or so...hope the transition won't be too difficult.

prisonchef

RE: CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT! Thu, 06/22/06 8:52 PM (permalink)
                          copper,
                          greyhounds are working dogs. their job is to race. the akc has done it's best to destroy this breed just like the did with springer spaniels which i owned for 20 years before getting my greys. my happiest moments are when i get to take moose and corvette to the local fenced in dog park (we have to go by 6am or the foo-foo dog owners put them into the large dog area. they are white.this does not bode well for greys) and watch them run. they are poetry in motion. they fly at times since all 4 feet leave the ground on a strech. it is what they are bred for and love doing!!!! i have no problems with the NGA (registry group for racers) nor those that race them as long as they are like moose's trainers. race, 3days off,race,7 days off. i do however have a problem with trainers who don't treat the dogs as the investment that they are!!!!! of course if they were working humans they would be just as bad. as far as i am concerned racing improves the breed and i can trace moose's lineage back to king cobb which as you know was a grey/english bull mix mix that improved the breed beyound words as far as speed went.
                          my only regret is,under my contract, i am not allowed to let moose or corvette course. this involves chasing a white rag tied to a trolly sytem that includes severval right and left hand turns and a finish. they both would love it and it certainly would beat moose rolling dauchsunds that eldery people just want to see "run with the greyhounds" last one he hit he was at 35mph. it sickened me as i begged the lady not to put the dog in the area for large dogs and this was 6.30am!!!! but she in her infinate wisdom knew more than me. this was 2 months ago. my greys have not been for a run since. sunday however they will run. they need it. my work life sucks. i need it!! but i just wish you could see them fly!!!!!!!
                          your friend
                          jack
                          sorry if i rambled

prisonchef

RE: CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT! Thu, 06/22/06 8:59 PM (permalink)
                            copper,
                            i left out the best part about greys.
                            they are universal blood donors to any other breed of dog. found that out from my vet. my two are the only greys he has seen so he did a little homework and saw that. well that and the fact that my 90 pound grey can only get the same amount of ann-e stee-za that a chic-way way can. has something to do with enzymes and motabilism..
                            greys are working dogs
                            they race
                            their blood saves other dogs
                            and yes i love them a lot!!!!!!!!!!!
                            course i miss black bart 2 my last springer. he was pretty but he couldn't do his job which was hunting. but he was a good friend
                            jack

prisonchef

RE: CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT! Thu, 06/22/06 9:01 PM (permalink)
                              v960,
                              thanks!!!!
                              you are the first person who has understood what i was talking about.
                              jack

Copperhedzkettle

RE: CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT! Fri, 06/23/06 2:09 PM (permalink)

prisonchef

I did not mean to imply Greys are not working dogs. Nor therapy and drug sniffing dogs as Pwingsx suggested. Its just when they are used in light of human greed it breaks my heart.

I loved the dog race, just not the humans worried about making a dime and not the health of the dog. Best of luck to you with Moose and Corvette.

Copperoo

V960

RE: CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT! Sun, 06/25/06 2:23 PM (permalink)
                                  It continues....

six AM and there is this super skinny dog on the front porch. Got some springer and beagle in him. Since six this morning he has had a dozen eggs (at intervals so he doesn't explode) and is starting to warm up to people.

My wife has declared that five dogs are enough and this one is going to the pound. She is right. Sad that people will dump their animals near farms and expect that we will care for them.

Copperhedzkettle

RE: CAUTION SEVERE ANIMAL NEGL;ECT! Mon, 06/26/06 3:10 PM (permalink)

V960
                                    I know we all have to draw the line somewhere, but it doesn't make it any easier, I'm sorry you are in this predicament. .
                                    Best to and the Ms.
                                    Copper

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                      Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 48 of 48

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com