The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Soda/Ice Tea refills

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 44 of 44
Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
RE: Soda/Ice Tea refills Sat, 06/10/06 12:44 PM (permalink)
I usually buy a "medium" sized drink.

P

• Total Posts: 6
    RE: Soda/Ice Tea refills Sun, 06/11/06 12:45 PM (permalink)
    I have delt with everyone's favorite in terms of this... the college student, and when you are next to a major university, it is free drink refills or death for your business. I keep it simple however, one size drink (21oz cup) at a fixed price. I find that the average customer may get one drink and a refill on the way out, except on a hot summer day in AZ when they may get two drinks in house. So when I figured pricing I went with what the soda cost for 2.5x and of course the cup, lid and straw cost. Seems to work out best. I found it is simpler to manage with one size drink, since someone cannot order a small and fill it a million times etc... Just makes life simpler for running a business in many ways.

As for Ice tea, unsweetened is what is common here and that always gets free refills, even the homemade stuff, but for sweet tea (homemade) I could see limiting it.

One other idea people have used around my area with sucess is offering the free refills on the medium and/or large drinks only, prevents people from ordering the small and filling a million times. There is also one place that dicounted their drink and charges an additional 50 cents for unlimited refills, of course their drinks are like 30 cents less than I charge, and almost everyone pays to get the refills. I would like the extra $$ per drink, but I find that tactic unethical since they are not discounting the cost of one drink what they are charging for the refills.

I think the point from many of these posts is that people expect it at some level, so offer what you can afford with free refills, even with reasonable limits, but you need to look at what other business in your area are doing, you are competing with them, not someone 2 states away.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
      RE: Soda/Ice Tea refills Sun, 06/11/06 2:23 PM (permalink)
      I don't drink soda in restaurants, can't remember the last time I had one even at home. Do remember the Nikko Hotel in Osaka, Japan had a sign up that stated "Let's Beer" outside the bar in the lobby. Never considered beer to be a verb until that afternoon.

You could go to the restroom but no where else and the beer mug was bottomless. One afternoon to remember.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
        RE: Soda/Ice Tea refills Mon, 06/12/06 1:34 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by V960

I don't drink soda in restaurants, can't remember the last time I had one even at home. Do remember the Nikko Hotel in Osaka, Japan had a sign up that stated "Let's Beer" outside the bar in the lobby. Never considered beer to be a verb until that afternoon.

You could go to the restroom but no where else and the beer mug was bottomless. One afternoon to remember.

In college, one particualr bar had a similar thing. Door opened at 5pm. Cover charge was around $2 or $3 bucks. Once in, the beer was free until either someone left the bar, or went to the batheroom. Invariably, it was girl, as she was doused in beer when she came out of the powder room.
        It's not that the guys could really hold it longer, it's that they didn't necessarily need to use the john to go pee (bottles, cups, what ever!)

joanie41

• Total Posts: 401
          RE: Soda/Ice Tea refills Tue, 06/13/06 4:24 PM (permalink)
          Which bar was this, Scorereader? (trying to figure out if any of the places from my Potsdam tenure are still there...probably not...)

Scorereader

RE: Soda/Ice Tea refills Tue, 06/13/06 5:50 PM (permalink)
            McDuffs, which used to be called....Morgans, I think.

This wasn't an every week thing, it was a once per semester or maybe even year occasion.

joanie41

• Total Posts: 401
              RE: Soda/Ice Tea refills Tue, 06/13/06 8:27 PM (permalink)
              OK. I vaguely remember Morgan's. The bars were REALLY icky when I was there, because the drinking age was 18 there for awhile, and the bars catered to the young'uns. Lots of drink specials and VERY cheap booze!

wvmarshallmasonwv

• Total Posts: 2
                RE: Soda/Ice Tea refills Thu, 06/15/06 11:55 PM (permalink)
                Am just back from a visit to Spain. No free refills and €1.75 for a glass of Pepsi which is about $2.25. I wanted two glasses so I paid for two glasses. There are no refills at most C-Stores, sports or concerts. Charge what you will.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                  RE: Soda/Ice Tea refills Sun, 06/18/06 4:10 PM (permalink)
                  I say that you must consider your location. I live in AZ. and we have an over abundunce if lemons. However you must still pay for the sugar. One refill for free and a reduced priced refill after that.
                  Iced tea and coffee, free refills. Thsts just my take.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                    RE: Soda/Ice Tea refills Sun, 06/18/06 6:27 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by boyardee65

I live in AZ. and we have an over abundunce if lemons.

So please explain why they cost $0.50 or more EACH in the supermarket. They are a lot cheaper in San Francisco (3 for $1) in spite of the fact that I have a lemon tree full of fruit in Tucson.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                      RE: Soda/Ice Tea refills Sun, 06/18/06 9:06 PM (permalink)
                      I have lemon and orange farmers here in Wickenburg AZ that usually have over or undersized fruit that they can't sell. They usually don't charge for these "rejects" as they are happy to get rid of them off thier grounds. Anyway, I think that you should get unsweetened drink refills for free.

Bye, David O.

ctrueder

• Total Posts: 104
                        RE: Soda/Ice Tea refills Mon, 06/19/06 10:38 AM (permalink)
                        I think iced tea refills should ALWAYS be at no charge. I don't drink soda or lemonade . . . but I will comment on lemonade in particular. Here in the Baltimore area, lemons have cost (at a MINIMUM) 79 cents each all winter and spring . . . and THAT is usually thick-skinned lemons with very little juice. I don't see how an establishment could afford to give free refills on lemonade unless that establishment is charging an exorbitant price in the first place (and, yes, I know restaurants probably don't pay that much for a lemon).[|)]

Scorereader

RE: Soda/Ice Tea refills Tue, 06/20/06 12:04 PM (permalink)
                          I would guess, that free lemonade, would be something like Minute Maid Lemonade, from the same fountain as the coke. Not the fresh squeezed kind.

DinerLovr

• Total Posts: 9
                            RE: Soda/Ice Tea refills Mon, 06/26/06 12:25 AM (permalink)
                            To answer your question....

Refills on Soda, Iced Tea, Coffee? Sure! As long as they're eating.

If not, then two refils.

Charge $1.25 for a 16oz soda & ice. Cost should be around $0.10. 3 refills = $.30... profit = $0.95! Your cost on Iced Tea should be ever cheaper!

Serve several hunderd of those a day and you're talking bucks!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                              Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 44 of 44

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com