The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Frozen grapes

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
Frozen grapes Tue, 06/6/06 7:51 PM (permalink)
My teenage daughter loves to put grapes in the freezer and then pop a few in her mouth. They really are delicious. Before ruining any produce (funny, they call it "produce" when it's semi-natural rather than all produced, as least as much as packaged foods) anyhoo, can anyone recommend any other frozen fruit?

MandalayVA

• Total Posts: 367
    RE: Frozen grapes Tue, 06/6/06 8:47 PM (permalink)
    I've always had pretty good luck freezing blueberries and blackberries for snacking. I love frozen grapes too.

DLnWPBrown

• Total Posts: 832
      RE: Frozen grapes Tue, 06/6/06 8:48 PM (permalink)
      Try strawberries and blueberries..... tried bananas thinking it a natural and we didn't like it. Pretty much any berry works good like that.

Dennis in Cary

Rapunzll

• Total Posts: 314
        RE: Frozen grapes Tue, 06/6/06 9:23 PM (permalink)
        I haven't frozen any fruit, but have you guys tried those globe grapes? They have seeds, but they are so good they're worth the trouble!

startrooper00

• Total Posts: 110
          RE: Frozen grapes Wed, 06/7/06 12:39 AM (permalink)
          I work in the produce department at Kroger and the globe grapes are usually the best to buy.

I love to freeze strawberries, grapes and blueberries... They always seem to hold up very well and are a great snack...

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
            RE: Frozen grapes Wed, 06/7/06 7:11 AM (permalink)
            I have heard of a very rare wine made from frozen grapes. Rare meaning conditions have to be optimum it only happens about every 8 to 10 years. Grapes ready for picking/heavey frost or freeze/then the race is on to process before they are unusable. I think it's called ice wine, it happend this past year in the wine growing region of Canada. I'm a jug wine consumer {Fortisimo} so I would't know be much of a judge of a fine wine, at 12 bucks a jug I'm never dissapointed. Chow Jim

Beer&Snausages

• Total Posts: 418
              RE: Frozen grapes Wed, 06/7/06 8:25 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Jimeats

I have heard of a very rare wine made from frozen grapes. Rare meaning conditions have to be optimum it only happens about every 8 to 10 years. Grapes ready for picking/heavey frost or freeze/then the race is on to process before they are unusable. I think it's called ice wine, it happend this past year in the wine growing region of Canada.

From http://www.ontariograpes.com/icewine.html

Icewine or Eiswein in Germany, is a late-harvest wine made from grapes pressed while frozen. Only three varieties of vinifera grape and Vidal may be used but usually it is made from Vidal and Riesling grapes.

To make Icewine, the grapes are left on the vine until after the first frost hits. These grapes are harvested after being frozen in the vineyard and then, while still frozen, they are pressed. They must be picked early - before 10 a.m. During both of these processes the temperature cannot exceed -8 degrees C. At this temperature (-8 degrees C) the berries will freeze as hard as marbles. While the grape is still in its frozen state, it is pressed and the water is driven out as shards of ice. This leaves a highly concentrated juice, very high in acids, sugars and aromatics.

In Ontario and in Germany, icewine is defined as naturally frozen. This means that here as in Germany, no other method of making icewine is allowed other than the natural method. No artificial freezing method constitutes icewine by definition or label.

Beer&Snausages

• Total Posts: 418
                RE: Frozen grapes Wed, 06/7/06 8:28 AM (permalink)
                quote:

I have heard of a very rare wine made from frozen grapes. Rare meaning conditions have to be optimum it only happens about every 8 to 10 years. Grapes ready for picking/heavey frost or freeze/then the race is on to process before they are unusable. I think it's called ice wine, it happend this past year in the wine growing region of Canada. I'm a jug wine consumer {Fortisimo} so I would't know be much of a judge of a fine wine, at 12 bucks a jug I'm never dissapointed. Chow Jim

Speaking of frozen grapes and boxed wine. To my In-lwas, who live in Florida, this is a staple of cocktail hour. As the heat & humidity seems to zap the coolness Tfrom any beverage they take out on the deck they have a container of frozen grapes in the freezer, a box of wine in the fridge and whenever the wine starts to warm up off they trot to the freezer to grab a couple more grapes to cool off the wine again.

joanie41

• Total Posts: 401
                  RE: Frozen grapes Wed, 06/7/06 12:13 PM (permalink)
                  Freezing bananas works well if you like making fruit "smoothies". Make sure to peel the banana first; I typically use fruit that is a little overripe. I used to keep a ziplock bag in the freezer with pieces of frozen banana, which I would then put into the blender with orange juice or whatever. Really yummy, and pretty nutritious!

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                    RE: Frozen grapes Wed, 06/7/06 12:18 PM (permalink)
                    I like to freeze peaches and pears. Freezing them dosen't seem to hurt the flavor and they are very refreshing on a hot summer day.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15066
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Frozen grapes Wed, 06/7/06 12:38 PM (permalink)

I get frozen Berries and frozen Mixed Fruit (mainly Peaches, Pineapple and Melon chunks) in 3 and 5 lb bags at Costco. Semi-thawed they make wonderful snacks.

Sundancer7

RE: Frozen grapes Wed, 06/7/06 4:22 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I get frozen Berries and frozen Mixed Fruit (mainly Peaches, Pineapple and Melon chunks) in 3 and 5 lb bags at Costco. Semi-thawed they make wonderful snacks.

Works great in your rum also.

Add a little Mayfield's vanilla and stick the fruit in the blender with some stiff rum and hang on.

Paul E. Smith
                        Knoxville, TN

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                          RE: Frozen grapes Wed, 06/7/06 6:01 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by NYNM

My teenage daughter loves to put grapes in the freezer and then pop a few in her mouth. They really are delicious. Before ruining any produce (funny, they call it "produce" when it's semi-natural rather than all produced, as least as much as packaged foods) anyhoo, can anyone recommend any other frozen fruit?

I used to do that with my iced tea.....
                          I love frozen fruit on a hot day.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                            RE: Frozen grapes Fri, 06/30/06 11:19 AM (permalink)
                            Freeze chunks of watermelon and chunks of pineapple too. DELICIOUS!!!! You will be amazed.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                              RE: Frozen grapes Sat, 07/1/06 10:15 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Beer&Snausages

quote:

I have heard of a very rare wine made from frozen grapes. Rare meaning conditions have to be optimum it only happens about every 8 to 10 years. Grapes ready for picking/heavey frost or freeze/then the race is on to process before they are unusable. I think it's called ice wine, it happend this past year in the wine growing region of Canada.

From http://www.ontariograpes.com/icewine.html

Icewine or Eiswein in Germany, is a late-harvest wine made from grapes pressed while frozen. Only three varieties of vinifera grape and Vidal may be used but usually it is made from Vidal and Riesling grapes.

To make Icewine, the grapes are left on the vine until after the first frost hits. These grapes are harvested after being frozen in the vineyard and then, while still frozen, they are pressed. They must be picked early - before 10 a.m. During both of these processes the temperature cannot exceed -8 degrees C. At this temperature (-8 degrees C) the berries will freeze as hard as marbles. While the grape is still in its frozen state, it is pressed and the water is driven out as shards of ice. This leaves a highly concentrated juice, very high in acids, sugars and aromatics.

In Ontario and in Germany, icewine is defined as naturally frozen. This means that here as in Germany, no other method of making icewine is allowed other than the natural method. No artificial freezing method constitutes icewine by definition or label.

Thanks, and I thought my personel hard drive was gone. Guess I've got a few megabytes left. Chow Jim

stephiegirl

• Total Posts: 132
                                RE: Frozen grapes Mon, 07/3/06 11:37 AM (permalink)
                                If you can get them in your area sweet cherries are the best when frozen, makes a great snack.

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                                  RE: Frozen grapes Thu, 09/21/06 4:43 PM (permalink)
                                  I like to take cans of peaches ,pears,fruit cocktail and pineapple and put them in the freezer for a while,then eat them when the juice is nice and slushy.haven't tried frozen grapes yet.

offlady

• Total Posts: 343
                                    RE: Frozen grapes Sun, 09/24/06 12:21 AM (permalink)
                                    I used to buy grapes for the kids and whatever they didn't eat would go in the freezer for frozen snacks. Now, when I buy grapes, I just freeze the whole bunch--my kids prefer it that way.

My uncle would cut fresh mango up and freeze them, then make frozen mango daquries--they are to-die-for!

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                      RE: Frozen grapes Sun, 09/24/06 1:23 PM (permalink)
                                      Lots of great ideas here, thanks yall! Frozen pickles are good also. Neat treet on a hot summer day.
                                      Joe

NYNM

RE: Frozen grapes Mon, 09/25/06 10:40 PM (permalink)
                                        Well, I would not say this is frozen "food" but a salesperson in a new boutique near me suggested putting their "skin cream" in the freezer. They make a product they call "sorbet" which is a rich semi-fluffy thing is nice scents. I tried it with their "lemon-basil" (a skin cream, not a salad dressing!) and it was fabulous!!! It was defintely icy texture but melted easily on my skin, really cooled me off and left a great scent. I'm going back tomorrow to try some new scents.

NYNM

RE: Frozen grapes Wed, 09/27/06 1:49 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by NYNM

Well, I would not say this is frozen "food" but a salesperson in a new boutique near me suggested putting their "skin cream" in the freezer. They make a product they call "sorbet" which is a rich semi-fluffy thing is nice scents. I tried it with their "lemon-basil" (a skin cream, not a salad dressing!) and it was fabulous!!! It was defintely icy texture but melted easily on my skin, really cooled me off and left a great scent. I'm going back tomorrow to try some new scents.

Just bought some more. I chose Orange-ginger,but the also had coconut-vanilla, lavendar-apple and "tropical" (pineapple-mango). What is this, skin cream or sherbert????

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com