The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Beard Papa's Sweets Cafe in SF

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
Beard Papa's Sweets Cafe in SF Mon, 06/12/06 1:03 AM (permalink)
OMG--Creampuffs; 220 calories per but irresistable:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/11/MNGSHJCDDM1.DTL

tacchino

• Total Posts: 560
    RE: Beard Papa's Sweets Cafe in SF Mon, 06/12/06 6:48 AM (permalink)
    "The dessert in question contains custard and whipped cream -- speckled with tiny pieces of vanilla bean -- inside an inner shell of choux pastry and an outer layer of pie crust."

The pictures look good, but "an outer layer of pie crust"? What on earth does that mean? The reporter doesn't sound like he/she has a clue about how puff pastry is made.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
      RE: Beard Papa's Sweets Cafe in SF Mon, 06/12/06 12:55 PM (permalink)
      No, they have it exactly right. These cream puffs have two strata to their shells: the interior is the basic choux, but there is a layer of pie crust covering the whole thing. (And...well...um...cream puffs aren't made from puff pastry, they're made from pate a choux. That's something entirely different.)

There's a Beard Papa's in Boston, and I've had them. They're perfectly serviceable, but they're not really worth a trip to Quincy Market by themselves, and if I'm by Quincy Market to begin with, then I'm going over to the North End for a box of cannoli from Modern!

tacchino

• Total Posts: 560
        RE: Beard Papa's Sweets Cafe in SF Mon, 06/12/06 1:19 PM (permalink)
        Sorry, I meant to say cream puff pastry, as in pate a choux, which I have made a lot....I realize the term was not correct, and puff pastry refers to the "flaky".
        However, I am still unclear s to how they put a pie crust on a cream puff pastry....the basic recipe that I have always used involves mixing the butter, flour, and water, and then beating in the eggs one by one, creating an aerated pate. Dropped by spoonfuls on a baking tray, they then get baked.
        When is the pie crust put on the pate a choux? Wrapping pie dough around spoonfuls of it before being put on the baking sheet? Seems to me it would inhibit the raising of the pate.

Lucky Bishop

• Total Posts: 1049
          RE: Beard Papa's Sweets Cafe in SF Mon, 06/12/06 1:44 PM (permalink)
          Based on glimpses of the employees in the background at Quincy Market, it looked to me like the pie crust -- which is extremely thin, it's basically really just there to provide extra structure to the puff -- is wrapped onto the puff when it's about three-quarters cooked. I may have been misreading what they were doing back there.

plb

RE: Beard Papa's Sweets Cafe in SF Tue, 06/13/06 6:36 PM (permalink)
            Just tried them. Good and light tasting, but really nothing special. It took 9 minutes in the line at 3:00 pm. Most people in front of me were ordering by the dozen.

offlady

• Total Posts: 343
              RE: Beard Papa's Sweets Cafe in SF Tue, 07/4/06 4:23 AM (permalink)
              I tried Beard Papa for the first time while in Honolulu recently, driving out of my way to try them after hearing so much about them. My first impression was that the puff was very good, but after eating the whole puff, I felt they weren't worth going out of my way for them. I've had much better cream puffs in Japan by other bakeries, which I believe is where Beard Papa originated from.

Then again, it's all in the marketing, isn't it? McDonalds doesn't have the best burgers either.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com