The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Ground Round

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
Ground Round Mon, 06/12/06 7:34 AM (permalink)
I wanted to whip up a burger and fries the other night so I stopped at Publix to pick up the meat. I like to use chuck but all they had were huge packages so I grabbed some ground round instead, what a mistake. The burgers were the driest, no taste, things I have ever had, even after being fried with some bacon fat.

John

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
    RE: Ground Round Mon, 06/12/06 8:07 AM (permalink)
    I don't like less than a 20% fat content for burger purposes. Preferably chuck.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
      RE: Ground Round Mon, 06/12/06 1:50 PM (permalink)
      ground round doesn't necessarily mean it is leaner than ground chuck.
      Most important is to check the %fat/%lean. For me, the ratio depends on how I'm going to cook the burger. Over an open flame, like my webber, I go for a higher fat content, because a lot, if not most, of the fat is going to drip down into the briquettes.
      On the other hand, if I pan cook it, I go for higher % of lean, because the fat will stay in the pan. Also, searing it, then reducing the heat, will help keep the juices inside, even with lean meat.

If you cook out all the fat, it's hard to reinfuse the moisture. In a last ditch effort, you can add water to the pan and cover, allowing the meat to regain some of its water content. But, you will, no doubt, over cook the meat and it will end up being a limp piece of wet meat. So, I don't recomment that. But, it does add water to the meat.

When cooking in the oven, it doesn't matter if you sear the hamburger in a pan first or not. Alron Brown did a myth busting special, and the meat that was seared actually had less moisture than the one that hadn't been seared first. So, when oven cooking, it's ok to put the meat in your oven without searing...according to Alton Brown.

phatphil

• Total Posts: 668
        RE: Ground Round Tue, 06/13/06 7:12 PM (permalink)
        i thought you were talking about a restaurant in lincolnwood illinois called the ground round..........peanuts all over the floor kinda place

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
          RE: Ground Round Tue, 06/13/06 7:33 PM (permalink)
          I don't think Ground Round let's you toss the shells on the floor anymore...it's another reason I stopped going.

John A

RE: Ground Round Wed, 06/14/06 1:36 PM (permalink)
            I've seen them in NY, not down here.

John

buckeye1

• Total Posts: 88
              RE: Ground Round Thu, 06/15/06 12:18 AM (permalink)
              I didn't know there were any Ground Rounds left - both west side Cleveland locations closed about three years ago and reopened as Eat-N-Park's.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                RE: Ground Round Thu, 06/15/06 11:16 PM (permalink)
                I like 80% lean for burgers also. If you want to splurge, try ground sirloin. Ground round is for anti-fat fanatics.

You said you went at night. If you go in the daytime, even today most supermarkets will grind whatever you want for you. My Mom has never in her life bought pre-ground meat. She picks out a roast, usually chuck, and they grind it for her at Public in FL. On the few occasions she has sent me to the market, if I can't get it ground to order I have to lie to her because she won't eat it otherwise.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
                  RE: Ground Round Thu, 06/15/06 11:55 PM (permalink)
                  Don't you have that backwards, BT? I find ground sirloin to be much too dry.

Joisey

• Total Posts: 150
                    RE: Ground Round Fri, 06/16/06 8:43 AM (permalink)
                    I have been using ground Angus steak for burgers--tastes amazing-makes fantastic burgers.

WVHillbilly

• Total Posts: 406
                      RE: Ground Round Fri, 06/16/06 9:08 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Joisey

I have been using ground Angus steak for burgers--tastes amazing-makes fantastic burgers.

Sirloin seems to give you moister burgers than ground round. It does have a higher fat content. Round is a very lean cut. I'm with the person above who said for grilling, go with the fattest.
                      Very little water will be reabsorbed into the meat.
                      "ground angus steak?" round steak, chuck steak, fillets? "angus" is a variety of cattle, not a cut of meat.

Pwingsx

RE: Ground Round Fri, 06/16/06 2:41 PM (permalink)
                        Ooops. I made a bad assumption. I thought since round was a cheaper cut, it would tend to be fattier. My bad.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                          RE: Ground Round Sat, 06/17/06 1:27 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Pwingsx

Don't you have that backwards, BT? I find ground sirloin to be much too dry.

Nope. Untrimmed, sirloin has plenty of fat and stores that sell it usually price it above either round or chuck. To be honest, for burgers I prefer chuck, but sirloin would be next. I use round for things like meatballs and meatloaf and chili where I'm going to add so much other flavoring that the taste of the meat itself doesn't matter and the lack of fat is a plus.

Round is normally fairly cheap because unground it is TOUGH, not because it's fatty (it has almost no fat). Makes decent stew meat, though.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
                            RE: Ground Round Sat, 06/17/06 4:28 AM (permalink)
                            Holy Cow! I just made the best wineburger with 80% lean ground chuck!
                            I took 1/2 lb. of 80% lean ground round and 1 tbs. Worchestershire sauce, 1/8 cup good merlot wine, 1/8 tsp. garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Grill on high heat till med. rare. Turn off grill and add good bleu cheese. Let stand 2 min. No need to dress this burger as I am a Purist.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                              RE: Ground Round Sat, 06/17/06 8:54 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by BT

I like 80% lean for burgers also. If you want to splurge, try ground sirloin. Ground round is for anti-fat fanatics.

You said you went at night. If you go in the daytime, even today most supermarkets will grind whatever you want for you. My Mom has never in her life bought pre-ground meat. She picks out a roast, usually chuck, and they grind it for her at Public in FL. On the few occasions she has sent me to the market, if I can't get it ground to order I have to lie to her because she won't eat it otherwise.

My food purveyors will grind my selections for free, also. I always tell them only one time through the grinder, no more. The pre-ground beef, whether it be chuck, round, or sirloin, is mostly likely double ground and sometimes triple ground. The butchers at my market will also be happy to add more suet to the grind if you feel your finished product may just be a bit to lean. I think that this is the best way other than grinding your own.

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                                RE: Ground Round Sat, 06/17/06 10:17 AM (permalink)
                                Mr Adjudicator -- you, sir, are the first gentleman, or lady, I have ever heard
                                since my sainted Mother, who ordered chuck chopped once. As a kid I was taught by her to pick a good looking (marblized) piece of chuck and have Mr Sellick grind it once. Mr Sellick the owner, CEO and chief-cook & bottle-washer of this little butcher shop would first cut off a slice of baloney for me to eat while he worked, then hand me the bag of "chuck, chopped once" with a piece of suet thrown in as a bonus. The cost--in 1938/39 was 25 to 30 cents, depending on the weight of course. "Ah yes, I remember it well."

Pwingsx

RE: Ground Round Sat, 06/17/06 3:13 PM (permalink)
                                  Thanks, BT, I understand now.

Steaks, pre-cut, are always stripped of almost their entire fat caps. Makes me mad.

tuke

• Total Posts: 57
                                    RE: Ground Round Sat, 07/1/06 12:00 AM (permalink)
                                    I also thought all the Ground Rounds were gone, since all the ones in CT have closed their doors. The Ground Round in Branford has been replaced by a BBQ joint called the Cookhouse which is pretty good, albeit it a little expensive.

primeprincess

• Total Posts: 3
                                      RE: Ground Round Wed, 07/12/06 5:20 AM (permalink)
                                      [url]www.heartbrandbeef.com[/url]
                                      The best hamburger you'll ever eat. It's expensive, but worth every cent!!!

John A

RE: Ground Round Wed, 07/12/06 9:10 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by primeprincess

Do you work for them?

John

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                          RE: Ground Round Wed, 07/12/06 10:15 AM (permalink)
                                          quote:

My eyesight is really going, let me get my glasses....

primeprincess

• Total Posts: 3
                                            RE: Ground Round Wed, 07/12/06 12:02 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by John A

quote:

Do you work for them?

John

So Sorry about the large type!! No I don't work for them. Just happen to love their product. I do have a friend that is an investor in the company, but that is as far as it goes. I just want others to know what good stuff is out there. It has some potential important health benfits for those that suffer from diabetes and high cholesterol and I have a long family history of those health problems so I think it's important for people to know about it.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                                              RE: Ground Round Thu, 07/13/06 3:20 PM (permalink)
                                              Primeprincess,
                                              Hate to be the one to break it to you but a Charlois or Red Angus fed properly is just as good as any cattle out of Japan. Maybe we should all take a Duh Huh moment and think of the countries w/ vast land masses able to develop wonderful breeds of cattle. The Japanese cattle thing is simply a marketing ploy.

Argentina (for grass fed and finished), England (maybe this is the exception, but polled shorthorns are great cattle), France for the Charolis (finished on sugar beets this is a steak to die for) and America for the Angus (ok we stole the breed in the mid-eighteen hundreds), IMHO.

Kobe beef is very good but for me has a strange texture and not a full beef taste. I prefer grass finished beef from Argentina (quite prevalent in the steak houses in Amsterdam) or my own grass and beer finished beef. We once had a Polled Shorthorn we fed beer, hay and sweet feed for the last ninety days of its life. Very tender, good taste but not that full bodied beef taste that grass adds.

For standard burgers I prefer to grab a large chuck and hand it to the butcher for him to grind. NO? Another store just down the block after I make a comment to the manager why he has to restock a buggy full of groceries and I'm headed down the street.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                • No New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                • Read Message
                                                • Post New Thread
                                                • Reply to message
                                                • Post New Poll
                                                • Submit Vote
                                                • Post reward post
                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com