The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Homebrewers - make yourselves known!

roadrash

• Total Posts: 231
Homebrewers - make yourselves known! Mon, 06/12/06 7:19 PM (permalink)
Anyone else here brew your own beer? I've been homebrewing for 11 years and would say that the only thing better than great food is great beer you made yourself. Who's with me?

Sundancer7

RE: Homebrewers - make yourselves known! Mon, 06/12/06 7:45 PM (permalink)
    I tried it several years ago and it stunk so much, I had to pour it. I guess I was not so good?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

roadrash

RE: Homebrewers - make yourselves known! Mon, 06/12/06 8:43 PM (permalink)
      I'm sorry to hear your experience with homebrewing wasn't a successful one.

My first batch was awful - just awful. Totally undrinkable. I just reacted differently to my first batch, I guess - it made me really determined to find out everything I did wrong and correct my mistakes.

I'm not gonna tell you to get back into homebrewing, as I'm not an evangelist. I will tell you, however, that if you're interested in trying again and are interested in some advice, I'll be more than happy to help.

Sundancer7

RE: Homebrewers - make yourselves known! Mon, 06/12/06 8:52 PM (permalink)
        Regardless, I am going to leave it up to Poverty Pete. It did not work to me and at this point, I am going to buy from a company that knows how to make it . I do not.

Paul E. Smith
        Knoxville, TN

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Homebrewers - make yourselves known! Mon, 06/12/06 10:42 PM (permalink)
          I used to do both beer and wine. Been awhile, but been itching to get back into the beer again.. (I hate the wait for wine)..

JBarry713

• Total Posts: 243
            RE: Homebrewers - make yourselves known! Tue, 06/13/06 10:45 AM (permalink)
            I've been homebrewing for 5 years. I love the products of a lot of craft breweries (Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Brooklyn, etc.), but there is something about homebrewing good beer that makes it more satisfying.

Copperhedzkettle

• Total Posts: 293
              RE: Homebrewers - make yourselves known! Tue, 06/13/06 4:01 PM (permalink)

I must admit I have never attempted it. However my granddaddy made Muscadine wine on a pretty much regular basis during the season. He was also the only person I know that had Black Label beer delivered to his house by a distributer. I can still remember the handtrucks going thump, thump, thump down them narrow-assed stairs to the basement, ten cases at a time. You remember the returnable bottles of Black Label? That was them! The commercial (back then) was "Mabel! Black Label Beer." (With gorgeous blonde)

I drank his muscadine wine from about the age of 8 or so. He also made Peach Brandy, I think thats what it was, heck that was a LOoooooooooooog time ago. I liked the Black label and muscadine, but the peach brandy was RANK!

Can't you make booze with potatoes?
              Jess askin....
              Copper

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
                RE: Homebrewers - make yourselves known! Tue, 06/13/06 4:37 PM (permalink)
                My father made Scuppernong (what we call muscadines down here). He was so proud of himself, bought a kit, it sat over in our den for what seemed like months. Finally the moment of truth arrived. He bottled the stuff up and we waited a few weeks more for it to settle. When the moment came and we tried it ..... We all thought we had been poisoned !!! ( We guess it went straight to Vinegar).

We were afraid to pour it down the drain in fear for what it might do to the water supply, and also too afraid to pour it out in the woods in fear that many forest critters might die !

I think we did eventually pour it out, but we went over to another county to do it.

BTW, I believe the Russians make Vodka from potatoes.

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Homebrewers - make yourselves known! Tue, 06/13/06 4:37 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Copperhedzkettle

Can't you make booze with potatoes?
                  Jess askin....
                  Copper

ummmm... Vodka? aka Spud Juice...

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6224
                    RE: Homebrewers - make yourselves known! Tue, 06/13/06 5:30 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Copperhedzkettle

You remember the returnable bottles of Black Label? That was them! The commercial (back then) was "Mabel! Black Label Beer." (With gorgeous blonde)
                    Copper

Our favorite saying was, "Off the table Mabel the quarter's for the Label". Of course you can tell by the price it was a saying we laughed and giggled at in high school some 45 years ago.

roadrash

RE: Homebrewers - make yourselves known! Wed, 06/14/06 12:30 PM (permalink)
                      Not just the Russkies, but everyone who makes vodka makes it from potatoes - it's the definition of the beverage, actually.

sop that

• Total Posts: 155
                        RE: Homebrewers - make yourselves known! Thu, 06/15/06 1:34 AM (permalink)
                        Some Vodka is made from potatoes, but most of it is not, check out this link or others
                        http://www.martiniboys.com/stew/Toronto/articles/Vodka:-It%E2%80%99s-come-a-long-way-in-600-years.-20.html

Absolut -- Swedish; distilled from wheat
                        Belvedere -- Polish; distilled from rye
                        Cristall -- Russia; distilled from wheat
                        Grey Goose -- French; distilled from wheat, rye, and barley
                        Stolichnaya -- Russian; distilled from wheat

A Chemist would tell you that vodka is ethanol and water, that is it. It does not matter how the ethanol was created.

Kaileen

• Total Posts: 61
                          RE: Homebrewers - make yourselves known! Thu, 06/15/06 9:20 PM (permalink)
                          I've wanted to try it ever since Alton Brown did it on Good Eats. Only one problem, however: I'd have to find someone to give it to.

I don't drink alcohol.

bernardch

• Total Posts: 1
                            RE: Homebrewers - make yourselves known! Tue, 06/20/06 9:44 PM (permalink)

Been Homebrewing since 1996. Brewing somewhere around batch 150 or so this weekend.

Also a National level beer judge in the Beer Judge Certification Program (www.bjcp.org)

Sundancer7 - If you want to attempt homebrewing again, hook up with the Tennesee Valley Homebrewers homebrew club (www.knoxhomebrewers.com). Friends with some of them during my time in Nashville. Many award wining brewers in that club.

Chuck
                            Medina, OH

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Homebrewers - make yourselves known! Wed, 06/21/06 3:32 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by sop that

A Chemist would tell you that vodka is ethanol and water, that is it. It does not matter how the ethanol was created.

Guess that makes me enviromentally freindly (powered by ethanol and h2o)... That is until I hit the Cantina for one of their burritos..

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com