The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Chips and son do Seattle for father's day.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
Chips and son do Seattle for father's day. Mon, 06/19/06 10:39 AM (permalink)
Son Sam and I had a most excellent(and unexpectedly expensive) father's day weekend in the Emerald city. We drove up Saturday to see the San Fransisco play the Seattle Mariners. We breakfasted at Burgerville, an outstanding local chain that uses local Oregon products. Sam had a Tillamook cheeseburger, I had bacon and eggs. Both quite tasty.
The Mariners beat the Giants 8-1 on Saturday. Mr. Bonds was 1-3 with a double( he was booed mercilessly),Giants first baseman Travis Ishiwara made a tumbling catch of a foul ball while falling into a camera well, and the Mariners Raul Ibanez went 3-4 with a homer and 4 RBI's. Our meal was sushi(the Ichiro roll). I had sake, Sam, root beer. After the game we went to the Experience Music Project and the Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame at the Seattle Center. EMP is located in a Frank Gehry designed building that has rapidly become a prominent Seattle landmark(located across from the Space Needle). It has some great Jimi Hendrix memorabilia and some great interactive exhibits where they guide you through playing musical instruments. There was also an informative exhibit on the history of hip-hop and another on grunge.
The Science Fiction Museum was nerd heaven. The robot from Forbidden Planet,Star Wars exhibits ,a lot of information about the history of Sci-Fi, and much more were exhibitted. It was also Sci-Fi Hall of Fame induction night and George Lucas was one of the inductees but alas we did not see him.
There were some old-fashioned amusement park rides outside the EMP and Sam rode his full quota. We had chowder at Ivar"s and drove back to our Hotel where my clutch failed in the middle of the hotel entry. Some good samaritans pushed us into a parking place.
Father's day we bussed it. Our breakfast was the now standard business hotel continental. We visited the Seattle Aquarium(Sam"s favorite Seattle attraction) and saw the Mariner's win 4-1 behind Jamie Moyer, the crafty 44 year old Seattle vet who gives all us old-timers a boost. Adrian Beltre contributed a rare home and drove in two runs and Mr. Bonds struck out thrice(the last by the ill named Mariner closer J.J. Putz(sic)). An enjoyable day. AAA plus towed us home to Portland and I hope the clutch will be replaced successfully.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
    RE: Chips and son do Seattle for father's day. Mon, 06/19/06 11:36 AM (permalink)
    I'm never happier than when the Giants lose.

Unless the Yankees lose. Then I'm even happier, if that's possible.

Is the EMP backed by Ballmer of Microsoft?

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
      RE: Chips and son do Seattle for father's day. Mon, 06/19/06 12:14 PM (permalink)
      Nice story. You're a good Dad. Mine would have made me fix the clutch in the parking lot, or pushed the car home.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
        RE: Chips and son do Seattle for father's day. Mon, 06/19/06 12:17 PM (permalink)
        As a life-long fan of the New York Giants (don't try to ge me to believe they moved from the Polo Grounds) I can only say that you are misguided, enginecapt. I am limited to saying misguided because I am a nice person.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Chips and son do Seattle for father's day. Mon, 06/19/06 12:19 PM (permalink)
          Mr. Chips, aside from your clutch problem, and the Giants losing, it sounds like a great weekend. Did you eat at the Ivar's near the ferry docks?

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
            RE: Chips and son do Seattle for father's day. Mon, 06/19/06 12:19 PM (permalink)
            Yah, and leave the Yankees out of this too!

It sounds like you had a great time, Mr. Chips and son.
            I wish my dad was still around to do things with!

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
              RE: Chips and son do Seattle for father's day. Mon, 06/19/06 4:37 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

As a life-long fan of the New York Giants (don't try to ge me to believe they moved from the Polo Grounds) I can only say that you are misguided, enginecapt. I am limited to saying misguided because I am a nice person.
              Reality check Michael. New York is now San Francisco and Brooklyn is now Los Angeles. The Polo Grounds, like Ebbets, are now apartments. It's our rivalry now, and it's been that way for some 50 years. What used to be separated by borough boundries is now separated by almost 400 miles of California, and we LOVE hating each other's teams. I've never held ill will toward the NY Giants mainly because I was only two when they ceased to exist. They reside in your history, not mine. (although, while I'm suitably impressed by Thomsen's shot heard 'round the world in 1951, in my world it was trumped by an almost crippled Gibson's walk-off game winner in the first round of the 88 WS)

Come on Michael, only thing limiting you from saying what's really on your mind is the looming possibility of post deletion. Nice has nothing to do with it.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Chips and son do Seattle for father's day. Mon, 06/19/06 5:12 PM (permalink)
                The Giants still play in the Polo Grounds. I have no idea what might have happened to the Dodgers. The last time I heard of them was when Bobby Thompson put one out of the park. Did you say they were somewhere in California?

I do not concern myself with deletions. I am much to nice to have to worry about such things.

mr chips

RE: Chips and son do Seattle for father's day. Mon, 06/19/06 8:30 PM (permalink)
                  To answer a couple of questions:

!. EMP is a Paul Allen project. Mr. Allen owns the Portland Trailblazers, the Seattle Seahawks and was the major funder of the saving of Seattle's Cinerama Movie Theater. He also owned a large collection of Jimi Hendrix memorabilia and this was the genesis of the EMP
                  2. I always eat at Ivar's. it is kitschy but when I was growing up we got Seattle cable and Ivar's always seemed like this exotic place in the far -off distant land of Seattle. I usually eat at the very effecient fast food section because I love the chowder.
                  3 If I had tried to fix the clutch, we would still be in Seattle.

mr chips

RE: Chips and son do Seattle for father's day. Thu, 07/20/06 1:51 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by mr chips

Son Sam and I had a most excellent(and unexpectedly expensive) father's day weekend in the Emerald city. We drove up Saturday to see the San Fransisco play the Seattle Mariners. We breakfasted at Burgerville, an outstanding local chain that uses local Oregon products. Sam had a Tillamook cheeseburger, I had bacon and eggs. Both quite tasty.
                    The Mariners beat the Giants 8-1 on Saturday. Mr. Bonds was 1-3 with a double( he was booed mercilessly),Giants first baseman Travis Ishiwara made a tumbling catch of a foul ball while falling into a camera well, and the Mariners Raul Ibanez went 3-4 with a homer and 4 RBI's. Our meal was sushi(the Ichiro roll). I had sake, Sam, root beer. After the game we went to the Experience Music Project and the Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame at the Seattle Center. EMP is located in a Frank Gehry designed building that has rapidly become a prominent Seattle landmark(located across from the Space Needle). It has some great Jimi Hendrix memorabilia and some great interactive exhibits where they guide you through playing musical instruments. There was also an informative exhibit on the history of hip-hop and another on grunge.
                    The Science Fiction Museum was nerd heaven. The robot from Forbidden Planet,Star Wars exhibits ,a lot of information about the history of Sci-Fi, and much more were exhibitted. It was also Sci-Fi Hall of Fame induction night and George Lucas was one of the inductees but alas we did not see him.
                    There were some old-fashioned amusement park rides outside the EMP and Sam rode his full quota. We had chowder at Ivar"s and drove back to our Hotel where my clutch failed in the middle of the hotel entry. Some good samaritans pushed us into a parking place.
                    Father's day we bussed it. Our breakfast was the now standard business hotel continental. We visited the Seattle Aquarium(Sam"s favorite Seattle attraction) and saw the Mariner's win 4-1 behind Jamie Moyer, the crafty 44 year old Seattle vet who gives all us old-timers a boost. Adrian Beltre contributed a rare home and drove in two runs and Mr. Bonds struck out thrice(the last by the ill named Mariner closer J.J. Putz(sic)). An enjoyable day. AAA plus towed us home to Portland and I hope the clutch will be replaced successfully.
                    Brief update. Clutch replaced succesfully but it was hard to find. Car was out of commission for three weeks. Bus system in Portland is quite good,

fhoran

• Total Posts: 185
                      RE: Chips and son do Seattle for father's day. Thu, 07/27/06 9:31 AM (permalink)
                      Seattle is one of my favorite cities. The EMP is great fun, especially if you are an electric guitar fan. One of my favorite places to eat is across the street from Safeco Field at the Pyramid Ale house. They have a gazillion beers and ale on tap that they brew themselves and an interesting menu. My favorite item is the Sausage Sampler that has three different sausages, garlic mashed potatoes and homemade saurkraut. On the way out the door, you can hear your arteries scream in protest at the beating they have just taken from such cholesterol heaven. I agree with the others, you are a nice Dad. Fred

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com