The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Weather Woes..

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
Weather Woes.. Mon, 06/26/06 12:28 AM (permalink)
We in the Northeast are having terrible weather, raining since Friday with showers expected for almost another week. I'm just bummed because my 13 yr. old daughter left on Thursday for a 10 day Outward Bound program trip.....to do sea kayaking in Boston Harbor!
They were supposed to sail all over, have cookouts, sleep on beaches on the islands, etc. All I'm imagining is a soggy, soaky, muddy, cranky teenager. Is there any hope for her?

acornlover

RE: Weather Woes.. Mon, 06/26/06 6:06 AM (permalink)
    I am sick of this weather too, we canceled a trip to Maine and sat around at home, my husband made bread and now I cannot find anything in my kitchen You should see the flour everywhere!
    Being wet and soggy is part of the Outward Bound experience, I went on one of those trips to Acadia National Park in March during a Nor'easter and was miserable, but proud of my self afterwards. It is a growing experience. I hope she does ok!! Today is not supposed to be too bad...

KB

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
      RE: Weather Woes.. Mon, 06/26/06 9:46 AM (permalink)
      I had a hard time travelling home last night from Vienna, VA to DC. Roads were flooding out all along the way. I kept detouring myself until I finally got home.
      Many cars were stalled out in intersections that flash flooded, or, since it was dark, had misjudged the depth of the "river" going a cross the road.
      Last night's storm just stalled over I-95 for an hour or two leaving about 4-5" of rain in DC from 9-11:00. The rain stopped about 2am. We're expecting more rain (hopfully a bit lighter) this afternoon.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
        RE: Weather Woes.. Mon, 06/26/06 10:55 AM (permalink)
        Well, it's sunny here in Florida, but now *I* am being affected by this crappy weather, so there *is* a probelm! Three of my co-workers are stranded (two in DC, one in NY) from the flooding, one is on vacation, and one called in sick. In as small an office as the one in which I work -- this is mayhem. There are two of us here plus my boss and support staff.

Might as well be armegeddon.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
          RE: Weather Woes.. Mon, 06/26/06 12:53 PM (permalink)
          We spent most of June in the high 90's (unusual for Colorado) and finally the heat wave has broken. We could sure use some real rain though.

WVHillbilly

• Total Posts: 406
            RE: Weather Woes.. Mon, 06/26/06 1:39 PM (permalink)
            It's been raining here for a week. I'm sitting here watching a five acre field of hay slowly being beaten into the ground. Hard to tell what kind of shape it'll be in when it dries out. Well, at least I didn't cut it a few days ago when we had a day of semi sunshine. A couple of my neighbors did and they now have rotten hay on the ground. I've also got 15 acres worth of prime stuff up in the barn, but the depletion of 5 acres will severely restrict my ability to feed cattle this winter. My neightbors who cut will really be hurting.

Oh, so sorry about your daughter having to deal with the rain, acorns dirty kitchen and Steve's "mayhem."

Sundancer7

RE: Weather Woes.. Mon, 06/26/06 1:52 PM (permalink)
              WVHillbilly: surely your neighbors have a flipper and they will be able to salvage the hay? The hay that is still up ought to have some good protein with plenty of seed?

Knoxville finally got some rain. We had 3.1 inches yesterday and so far today we have had 1.1 inches according to my rain gauge. I have kept my place green because my irrigation system pumps out of the Tennessee River but obviously not eveyone is so fortunate. The weather is suppose to be through here tomorrow and maybe sooner.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

WVHillbilly

RE: Weather Woes.. Mon, 06/26/06 3:09 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Sundancer7

WVHillbilly: surely your neighbors have a flipper and they will be able to salvage the hay? The hay that is still up ought to have some good protein with plenty of seed?

Knoxville finally got some rain. We had 3.1 inches yesterday and so far today we have had 1.1 inches according to my rain gauge. I have kept my place green because my irrigation system pumps out of the Tennessee River but obviously not eveyone is so fortunate. The weather is suppose to be through here tomorrow and maybe sooner.

Paul E. Smith
                Knoxville, TN

After cut hay has been rained on steadily for a couple days it's pretty much worthless. Kicking it does no good in restoring the nutrients that have been leached out. Nothing but filler even if you can get the cattle to eat it.
                My hay will still have value as I have not yet cut, but it is being beaten down and the tops are deteriorating badly. Once hay begins to seed it's nutrient value begins decreasing rapidly.
                Stick with phlebotomy.

octopus

• Total Posts: 264
                  RE: Weather Woes.. Mon, 06/26/06 3:12 PM (permalink)
                  I think In Upstate NY we have only had 2 complete non rain weekends since April. won't need to worry about gas prices we can just row to work.

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
                    RE: Weather Woes.. Mon, 06/26/06 3:18 PM (permalink)
                    i'm in albuquerque..what's rain?
                    lots of dry lightning though.
                    a gallon of water is getting to be as high as the cost of gas.

acornlover

RE: Weather Woes.. Mon, 06/26/06 5:04 PM (permalink)
                      We cut our hay before the rain started and in a major push managed to get it in the barn before the deluge, then sent my son over to help at a friend's horse farm to get theirs in too, it was a pretty busy week

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6202
                        RE: Weather Woes.. Tue, 06/27/06 1:32 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by NYNM

We in the Northeast are having terrible weather, raining since Friday with showers expected for almost another week. I'm just bummed because my 13 yr. old daughter left on Thursday for a 10 day Outward Bound program trip.....to do sea kayaking in Boston Harbor!
                        They were supposed to sail all over, have cookouts, sleep on beaches on the islands, etc. All I'm imagining is a soggy, soaky, muddy, cranky teenager. Is there any hope for her?

Mom,don't worry. Outward Bound starts at Thompson Island, you could swim to the South Boston Yacht Club from there. Sea kayaking in Boston Harbor is like swimming in a big pool. Lots of islands, lots of boats, lots of kayakers. And hey, if it rains, no big deal........they're kids and they love it. They'll hunker up onto a beach around Long Island and spend the night, not too far from Quincy and not too far from Dorcester Bay. Probably the farthest they'll go is George's Island (to see the fort) or maybe Boston Light.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                          RE: Weather Woes.. Tue, 06/27/06 1:50 AM (permalink)
                          Imagine. Living in an area where it rains all the time. I don'i know how anyone can stand it.

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
                            RE: Weather Woes.. Tue, 06/27/06 6:57 AM (permalink)
                            Hello All,
                            My small garden has enjoyed the rain as well as my dying grass. In the Shenandoah Valley,
                            we were at the beginning of a drought, so we welcome it.
                            WVHillbilly, if your neighbors need hay, have them come over to Hinton, where we have
                            a hay auction, weekly, I believe. It started out as the Rushville Hay Auction, but they
                            moved it to Hinton, where I live.
                            Take Care,
                            Fieldthistle

The Travelin Man

RE: Weather Woes.. Tue, 06/27/06 8:39 AM (permalink)
                              Rain in DC - Or, the Wrath of God?

Anyone remember back so far as the aftermath of Hurricane Kartrina? Rev. Billy Graham's son said Katrina was God's way of sending a message to a city of sin like New Orleans.
                              quote:
                              At a speech in Virginia, he said, "This is one wicked city, OK? It's known for Mardi Gras, for Satan worship. It's known for sex perversion. It's known for every type of drugs and alcohol and the orgies and all of these things that go on down there in New Orleans. Reverend Graham continued, "There's been a black spiritual cloud over New Orleans for years."

Hmmmm.....

Where are all these knuckleheads preaching the end of civilization for the sin going on in Washington, DC? Reports are that some wacko just outside the city was building an ark!

With all due respect to Scorereader, I realize that this is the type of political post that could be construed as destructive. Therefore, I hope that it is taken in the sincere humor in which it was meant!

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                                RE: Weather Woes.. Tue, 06/27/06 9:31 AM (permalink)
                                Here in Boston it's been reported that we had over 26ins. in the past month. Clam flats are still closed, sunny today but it looks like a one day event, rain tommorow. Chow Jim

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                  RE: Weather Woes.. Tue, 06/27/06 9:39 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by stevekoe

Where are all these knuckleheads preaching the end of civilization for the sin going on in Washington, DC?

They're pumping out their basements.

The Travelin Man

RE: Weather Woes.. Tue, 06/27/06 10:40 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Scorereader

They're pumping out their basements.

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
                                      RE: Weather Woes.. Tue, 06/27/06 10:51 AM (permalink)
                                      i humbly regret making a smart remark about rain.last night we were hit by lightning, rain falling an inch an hour, pea size hail stones and rivers instead of streets.my neighbor's roof blew off.
                                      no more wise cracks for me; it's not nice to tick off Mother Nature.

Fieldthistle

RE: Weather Woes.. Tue, 06/27/06 11:40 AM (permalink)
                                        Hello All,
                                        Xannie 01, I'm sorry to hear about the bad weather and your neighbor's roof.
                                        We've had steady rain for about 4 days now, and it's supposed to rain until Monday.
                                        Hopefully, it won't be too heavy and constant. I have a creek behind my house and
                                        can see it has breached the banks, but it has aways to rise before it would hit my
                                        house.
                                        Based on what I've read of your posts, I'm sure your neighbor is lucky to have you
                                        as a neighbor, that you have offered comfort and aid as much as you are able to.
                                        In times of crisis or misfortune, it is always a blessing to find a kind word, an
                                        offer of help, an offering of food. That is what makes humanity worthwhile and creates
                                        a deep appreciation of others. It gives meaning to the word, Neighbor.
                                        Take Care,
                                        Fieldthistle

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                                          RE: Weather Woes.. Tue, 06/27/06 12:00 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by lleechef

quote:
                                          Originally posted by NYNM

Mom,don't worry. Outward Bound starts at Thompson Island, you could swim to the South Boston Yacht Club from there. Sea kayaking in Boston Harbor is like swimming in a big pool. Lots of islands, lots of boats, lots of kayakers. And hey, if it rains, no big deal........they're kids and they love it. They'll hunker up onto a beach around Long Island and spend the night, not too far from Quincy and not too far from Dorcester Bay. Probably the farthest they'll go is George's Island (to see the fort) or maybe Boston Light.

Hey, thanksfor the reassurance! I called yesterday and they said there was some sun in Boston, and I think also today. But then the forecast returns to, guess what, the R word!!!

WVHillbilly

RE: Weather Woes.. Tue, 06/27/06 1:03 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello All,
                                            My small garden has enjoyed the rain as well as my dying grass. In the Shenandoah Valley,
                                            we were at the beginning of a drought, so we welcome it.
                                            WVHillbilly, if your neighbors need hay, have them come over to Hinton, where we have
                                            a hay auction, weekly, I believe. It started out as the Rushville Hay Auction, but they
                                            moved it to Hinton, where I live.
                                            Take Care,
                                            Fieldthistle

Thistle, A hay auction in Hinton? I never heard of it. What else is going on over there? I'm in Jackson Co.

Fieldthistle

RE: Weather Woes.. Tue, 06/27/06 1:24 PM (permalink)
                                              Hello All,
                                              Yes, WVHillbilly, we have a hay auction. I live in Hinton which is in Rockingham Co., next door
                                              to Pendleton Co., W. Va.. I love West Virginia, especially Franklin and Brandywine.
                                              And we have everything here. A thriving city, plus great smaller towns, and plenty of farmland.
                                              Our biggest fear is too much growth. We do have pretty much everything except strip clubs, which
                                              locals visit in Mathias, W. Va.. lol
                                              We have 2 great universities, some big time industries, (Merck, RR Donnelley, Coors, to name a few)
                                              many ethnic restaurants, from Italian to Ethopian, to Indian, to chains, and many roadfood types.
                                              Maybe I should shut up. We've been discovered by too many. But hey, WVHillbilly, you, and all
                                              roadfooders are welcome anytime. Come and visit some time.
                                              Take Care,
                                              Fieldthistle
                                              p.s. and lately, we have Rain.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                                                RE: Weather Woes.. Tue, 06/27/06 2:44 PM (permalink)
                                                I don't cut my own hay anymore, and sold the baler to make sure that I don't change my mind. We had a hay season like this maybe 20 years ago, and the hay got flipped so many times that it was turning into a rope. This is when you need a Matthews Rotary Scythe,IMO, an otherwise worthless hay tool if there ever was one. (at least here in rocky New England). In a situation like we have now the rotary scythe is AMAZING. Run it high and slow over your windrows, and it will put out a high, fluffy and fast drying windrow. Your hay will also be just about worthless as feed, but you need to get it off the field to let the next crop grow.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6202
                                                  RE: Weather Woes.. Wed, 06/28/06 12:25 AM (permalink)
                                                  We're having our woes up here in AK too. Put our boat in the water 3 weeks ago (3 weeks later than last year) and haven't used it once. Docking fees already paid, parking fees already paid,insurance paid, no deal, the weather won't cooperate. Rain, rain, fog, fog, wind and more wind. I even bought new Power Pro line for my halibut reel. No dice. We're going to try again tomorrow.

NYNM, let us know how your daughter made out on her Outward Bound kayak trip! When I lived in South Boston I would take Outward Bound kids out on my sailboat from South Boston Yacht Club and they LOVED every minute of it! I'd let them work the jib and the main and man the tiller. They were thrilled. Teens, for the most part, are easy to please. Hope she has a great experience!

WVHillbilly

RE: Weather Woes.. Wed, 06/28/06 12:45 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello All,
                                                    Yes, WVHillbilly, we have a hay auction. I live in Hinton which is in Rockingham Co., next door
                                                    to Pendleton Co., W. Va.. I love West Virginia, especially Franklin and Brandywine.
                                                    And we have everything here. A thriving city, plus great smaller towns, and plenty of farmland.
                                                    Our biggest fear is too much growth. We do have pretty much everything except strip clubs, which
                                                    locals visit in Mathias, W. Va.. lol
                                                    We have 2 great universities, some big time industries, (Merck, RR Donnelley, Coors, to name a few)
                                                    many ethnic restaurants, from Italian to Ethopian, to Indian, to chains, and many roadfood types.
                                                    Maybe I should shut up. We've been discovered by too many. But hey, WVHillbilly, you, and all
                                                    roadfooders are welcome anytime. Come and visit some time.
                                                    Take Care,
                                                    Fieldthistle
                                                    p.s. and lately, we have Rain.

Ah, Hinton, VA or MD? I thought you meant Hinton, WV over in Fayette Co.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com