Childhood Kitchen Duties

Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
2003/06/27 22:59:44 (permalink)

Childhood Kitchen Duties

We have talked about the things that we learned from our Mothers in the Kitchen...But What did you HAVE to do in the way of chores in that busy place.
I had certain chores, some of which expanded as I grew up (older). Some were a daily task shared with my sister..others were more specialized.
Sister and I alternated on the setting and clearing of the table, and washing and drying the dishes.
I did not have to go to the market with my mother, but did frequently, and I was the one who hauled in the groceries when we got home (most of the time).
I rinsed out the glass milk bottles, put them in the metal carrier and made sure they were on the front porch the night before the milkman came by.
I colored the margarine...This was in the days when it was in a flexible one lb plastic bag, with a colored dye button on the front-middle. I has to 'pop' the button by using pressure on the button while it was in the bag, then knead the margarine until the yellow color was evenly distributed.
I made the birthday cakes in the family from the time I was 10 or so...but Mother decorated them...I was too sloppy for that special task.
In those days we had an incinerator in the back yard..we burned all our 'burnable' trash, but cans and garbage had to go out on the curb once a week for the collectors to take away. My tasks to sort and burn.. No wonder I like using a grill..It is an example of the Laws of Natural Progression <G>

8 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1