The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Cape Cod Vacation Report

aleswench

• Total Posts: 686
Cape Cod Vacation Report Tue, 06/27/06 3:15 PM (permalink)
Hi Everyone! We just returned from one glorious week in (or does one say "on"?) Cape Cod. I have some things that I'd like to share for anyone out there who is interested.

We started out last Friday night. We had planned on arriving at Pepe's in New Haven around 8 pm, but that didn't happen. We ended up getting there about 10 pm instead. We rushed to the doors only to be totally disappointed - no clam pies I thought Bob was going to cry! So we "settled" for a regular, plain pie. Which was anything but - it was wonderful. Charred crispy crust, with a slightly sweet sauce and cheese. Yum. We were very happy with our alternative. I assured Bob that we would stop on the way home and try to get the elusive clam pie everyone so raves about. (that didn't happen, either, but more on that later...)On to our overnight stop in Mystic, CT.

We stayed at the Mystic Hilton (Priceline)- and it was very nice. Friendly staff, tastefully decorated room - and the bed was wonderfully comfy. Very nice experience and would recommend it. After a great nights sleep we were off to Abbott's Lobster Pound! Dying to try the hot lobster roll - and we did. And it was good. But not at all like anything we expected. I had envisioned big chunks of white and pink meat in a traditional New England style hot dog roll. Instead, it was mostly claw meat on a sesame hamburger roll, with butter. Still, very good. Looking back at the Roadfood Review, I can see now that this was my fault - the perception of a hot lobster roll - in the pictures it is represented just as it was served. The clam chowder was very good too. Two new roadfood places under our belt - and very happy with both of them.

We headed up to the Cape from there and arrived around 4. We stayed at our timeshare in Dennis, The Edgewater. They remodeled and we were pleasantly surprised. We even had our own hot tub outside on the patio. Nice feature - real nice feature

That night we went to The Sailing Cow in Dennisport.

http://www.sailingcow.com

Very reasonable prices, interesting atmosphere and good service. Good food (most importantly) too - we both had the Lobster Casserole - a few too many breadcrumbs was our only criticism. The stuffed Quohog was delicious too. It's a nice place to have dinner.

Breakfast Sunday morning was at The Wee Packet - one of the strangest names for a restaurant I've ever heard.

http://www.weepacket2.com/welcome1.html

Bob had the corned beef hash (home-made and great)and eggs, and I had fresh blueberry pancakes and just about the best bacon ever! Truly an excellent breakfast. Very, very happy.

Ok..need a break - more later...Sue

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com