Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Ice Cream made by Universities

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 37 of 37
tacchino

• Total Posts: 560
RE: Ice Cream made by Universities Wed, 02/28/07 1:16 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

I was in Ithaca over the weekend and tried the ice cream at The Cornell Dairy Bar. I got one scoop of the Bavarian Raspberry Fudge and one of the Kahlua Fudge and both were outstanding! I was pleasantly surprised they were open, since their website says they are closed on Saturday.

The Cornell Dairy Bar has fantastic ice creams, but trust me, an Ithaca native, the very best ice cream in that town is on Route 13..Purity Ice Cream. The absolute richest, creamiest, tastiest ice cream for miles around. Their egg nog (holiday special) is absolutely to die for!

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
    RE: Ice Cream made by Universities Sun, 03/4/07 11:51 PM (permalink)
    Here are the details on the University of Maryland at College Park ice cream:
    http://www.umd.edu/features/icecream.html

While I haven't been there in about 10 years, their cafe, The Dairy, is still in operation in Turner Hall right on US Route 1 in College Park. The Ice Cream is superb.

Web page of the cafe:
    http://www.dining.umd.edu/where_to_eat/cafes/dairy.cfm

There is a map showing the exact location of The Dairy on UMD's web site.

buffetbuster

RE: Ice Cream made by Universities Mon, 03/5/07 3:33 PM (permalink)
      David_NYC-
      Thanks for the U of Maryland ice cream links. I am going to be in that area in two weeks and was excited to try the place out. Unfortunately, the Dairy doesn't seem to be open on weekends, which is when I will be there. I guess I will have to put it on my list of future things to do.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
        RE: Ice Cream made by Universities Mon, 03/5/07 5:29 PM (permalink)
        quote:

David_NYC-
        Thanks for the U of Maryland ice cream links. I am going to be in that area in two weeks and was excited to try the place out. Unfortunately, the Dairy doesn't seem to be open on weekends, which is when I will be there. I guess I will have to put it on my list of future things to do.

since UMd is closed on weekends, you may want to try:
        Max's Best at 2416 Wisconsin Ave NW in DC (glover park neighborhood). This is my DC favorite Ice Cream joint. Ice cream is made on site in this mom and pop shop.

Nearby Max's is one of my favorite pizza joints: Kavanagh's Pizza Pub at 2400 Wisconsin Ave (formerly Faccia Luna - Kevin, formerly a manager at Faccia Luna, bought the place)

also, Rockland's BBQ,(2418 Wisconsin Ave) a DC tradition

and Old Europe, is a fine German restaurant.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
          RE: Ice Cream made by Universities Tue, 03/6/07 9:53 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by tacchino

quote:

I was in Ithaca over the weekend and tried the ice cream at The Cornell Dairy Bar. I got one scoop of the Bavarian Raspberry Fudge and one of the Kahlua Fudge and both were outstanding! I was pleasantly surprised they were open, since their website says they are closed on Saturday.

The Cornell Dairy Bar has fantastic ice creams, but trust me, an Ithaca native, the very best ice cream in that town is on Route 13..Purity Ice Cream. The absolute richest, creamiest, tastiest ice cream for miles around. Their egg nog (holiday special) is absolutely to die for!

I wish I had known when I was at Cornell last fall for a sheep meeting. The dairy bar is right next to the livestock pavillion, so I did get over there, but I missed out on Purity. If I get up there again, I will try it. It will give me something to raz my Cornell grad
          sister in law about!!!

BTW, I could be wrong, but I think that the Cornell ice cream is made to be an example of a top quality, mass market type product. It is not what is sometimes called "super premium", and it is priced reasonably. For all the other things it is, Cornell is still, at its' heart, a great ag school (some would say the best), and graduates work for or run major food companies all over the world. In the food department, I think that they are unique in having a great ag and food manufacturing focus on the same campus as a world class hotel and restaurant management school.

ctfrasier

• Total Posts: 253
            RE: Ice Cream made by Universities Wed, 03/7/07 4:52 PM (permalink)
            While I have never eaten the ice cream I once worked for the company that made the boxes for the BYU creamery. The boxes were so plain they should've been for the Penn State creamery (football fans should get the humor).

buffetbuster

RE: Ice Cream made by Universities Fri, 03/9/07 2:19 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
              The University Of Georgia here in Athens has a Dairy Science Department. I am almost 100% sure that they continue to make ice cream; they did in years past, when my father was alive and would visit the salesroom once a week and bring some home.
              I'll ask a friend of mine who is in University Food Service and get back to y'all on this one.
              Unscoopingly, Ort. Carlton in Tolerant-Of-Me Athens, Georgia.

Ort-
              Were you able to find out anything about UGA ice cream? If they do still make it, where can I buy it at? I tried to google it, but all I found is an article about the Strawberry Ice Cream Pie at the Georgia Center. I will be going through Athens in April and plan on stopping at UGA and would love to grab a scoop if possible. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 37 of 37

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com