The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bubble Gum that looked like chewing tobacco

FlipAngie

• Total Posts: 3
Bubble Gum that looked like chewing tobacco Thu, 08/17/06 2:24 PM (permalink)

Does anyone remember bubble gum that came in a what looked like a pouch of chewing tobacco? It had baseball players on the front. I guess it was so that kids could have their very own chew just like famous baseball players. My brother and I loved it. I'm sure it's gone now just like candy cigarettes.

Coastal Southern

• Total Posts: 64
    RE: Bubble Gum that looked like chewing tobacco Thu, 08/17/06 2:35 PM (permalink)
    Are you kidding?

Big League Chew. Every little leaguer had a pack in his back pocket.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
      RE: Bubble Gum that looked like chewing tobacco Thu, 08/17/06 2:49 PM (permalink)
      We still have it here, original flavor and grape. Hey, I know, I have a 10 year old All Star!

stephiegirl

• Total Posts: 132
        RE: Bubble Gum that looked like chewing tobacco Fri, 08/18/06 10:04 AM (permalink)
        We still have it in our area too. Kids love that stuff because there is nothing better than feeling like a grown up. We still wish we were kids, go figure.

FlipAngie

• Total Posts: 3
          RE: Bubble Gum that looked like chewing tobacco Fri, 08/18/06 6:11 PM (permalink)

Ok I guess I should have checked to see if it was still around. I just thought that they would say it encourages kids to chew tobacco.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: Bubble Gum that looked like chewing tobacco Sat, 08/19/06 12:33 AM (permalink)
            I like the grape better than the regular, we used to stuff our cheeks full of the stuff during a game. We thought we were so COOL.

They used to have a strawberry version too, but I havent seen that flavor in years.

shilohautumn

• Total Posts: 5
              RE: Bubble Gum that looked like chewing tobacco Thu, 08/24/06 12:08 AM (permalink)
              Big League Chew is a Wrigley's bubblegum brand and is available in several flavors: grape, cotton candy, sour cherry, strawberry, watermelon, sour apple and ORIGINAL bubble gum. It was created by a couple of baseball players as an alternative to chewing tobacco, and has been sold since 1980, I believe.

http://www.bigleaguechew.com

http://www.whatcandy.com

DavidEMartin

• Total Posts: 173
                RE: Bubble Gum that looked like chewing tobacco Fri, 08/25/06 10:38 AM (permalink)
                Flip, I don't agree with that a kiddy snack resembling an adult vice leads them to consume "the real thing" later on. As a kid I loved bubblegum cigars and chocolate cigarettes but I'm staunchly anti-tobacco and never used the damnable stuff. Frankly, I'd be more worried about Big League Chew teaching kids to spit out large saliva-drenched masses.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                  RE: Bubble Gum that looked like chewing tobacco Fri, 08/25/06 10:42 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by shilohautumn

Big League Chew is a Wrigley's bubblegum brand and is available in several flavors: grape, cotton candy, sour cherry, strawberry, watermelon, sour apple and ORIGINAL bubble gum. It was created by a couple of baseball players as an alternative to chewing tobacco, and has been sold since 1980, I believe.

http://www.bigleaguechew.com

http://www.whatcandy.com

Sour cherry? Sour apple? That's enough to make me want to indulge!

HungryMike

• Total Posts: 27
                    RE: Bubble Gum that looked like chewing tobacco Fri, 08/25/06 6:03 PM (permalink)
                    I used to love Bubble Gum Cigars. Let's see 3 flavors: Pink OWLS, Yellow Dragons I think and Green somethings they were great.

PS: Snuff helped me get off CIGS and then candy Snuff( Oregon Mint CO) got me off Tobacco Snuff so there is a place for fake candy tobacco but for grownups not kids

arianej

• Total Posts: 205
                      RE: Bubble Gum that looked like chewing tobacco Sat, 08/26/06 6:33 PM (permalink)
                      LOL! I remember Big League Chew, too. Some places do still carry it around here, although not as many as back when I was a kid. I used to love that and candy cigarettes when I was little.

And I'm not a smoker now, so I guess it didn't do me any harm. ;D

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                        RE: Bubble Gum that looked like chewing tobacco Tue, 08/29/06 12:26 AM (permalink)
                        Jim Bouton, of Ball Four Fame, was the inventor of Big League Chew.

GordonW

• Total Posts: 924
                          RE: Bubble Gum that looked like chewing tobacco Tue, 08/29/06 7:50 PM (permalink)
                          I was in a local hardware store today and noticed beef jerkey being marketed to look like chewing tobacco and snuff. I suppose they are trying to hook in the older kids.

HungryMike

• Total Posts: 27
                            RE: Bubble Gum that looked like chewing tobacco Tue, 08/29/06 10:00 PM (permalink)
                            Anyone remember the old Walt Garrison Skoal commericals: "Ah Like the wintergreen taste of SKOAL but there's Coepnhagen for a straight tobacco taste and Happy Days for you youngsters jus' startin out"

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com