Mom and Pop Italian Rest vs Chain Ones

Author
bbqjimbob
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
2006/08/24 23:09:14 (permalink)

Mom and Pop Italian Rest vs Chain Ones

My wife and I went to a "Mom & Pop" Italian restaurant last night about which we had read many glowing reviews, including how huge the portions were. The critic for the local paper said that they were so big, one dinner would feed 2 people. We'd been wanting to try it for a while now, and broke down and decided to go last night. On the other side of the coin, is Carrabba's, a chain Italian restaurant that has been our favorite for a long time. We figured that as good as the chain was, a local M&P would be better. Unfortunately, we weren't impressed. I had 2 long island ice teas ($10 total), we had calamari for an appetizer, my wife had stuffed flounder, and I had the lambchops. My lambchops were medium well to well done, and I told the owner. She took them back, but since the kitchen was closed, I was out of luck- no dinner for me! The salad was mediocre at best, the rolls like hockey pucks, and when I tasted my wife's stuffed flounder, I was glad I hadn't ordered it! BTW- those reviews about large portions- not true. Carrabba's portions are about 1&1/2 times the size of theirs. In spite of them not charging us for my dinner, our bill was still $43, plus tip! We could have eaten at Carraba's for about the same, minus my beverages, but with my meal included. I've learned an expensive lesson- unfortunately, Mom & Pop restaurants aren't always better than chain restaurants!

41 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1