The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Tomato Sandwich

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49
Author Message
UncleVic

  • Total Posts: 6025
  • Joined: 10/14/2003
  • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
  • Roadfood Insider
RE: Tomato Sandwich Tue, 08/29/06 5:41 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron


I read recently that chilling tomatoes turns off some enzymes that are critical to flavor. Hence, chilled tomatoes won't taste nearly as good as those at room temp. I haven't tested this theory yet because I haven't found any good ripe tomatoes around my parts so far this summer.


Once ya stick them in the fridge, they'll taste like the ones you get in the middle of the winter... Tasteless.
If you want to extend your season indoors for a few weeks, pick a bunch of green ones. Place a few in a paper bag (to trap the gasses) and they'll quickly ripen.

 
#31
    Donna Douglass

    • Total Posts: 508
    • Joined: 8/22/2000
    • Location: Columbus, OH
    RE: Tomato Sandwich Tue, 08/29/06 5:58 PM (permalink)
    Home grown tomatoes are good any way one wants to eat them. I usually just slice a couple for our dinner in place of salad or other vegetable. But love tomato sandwiches, done a myriad of ways, broiled tomatoes, fresh tomato sauce for pasta, etc. Just wish it were possible to have great tasting tomatoes year 'round. They are such a treat.

    Donna
     
    #32
      rebeltruce

      • Total Posts: 698
      • Joined: 9/8/2006
      • Location: Culpeper, VA
      RE: Tomato Sandwich Mon, 09/11/06 4:28 PM (permalink)
      White bread, thick slice of tomato, salt, pepper...ton of mayo (Hellman's of course)...occasionally a nice thin slice of Vidalia onion.

      Time to head to the farmer's market!
       
      #33
        Big_g

        RE: Tomato Sandwich Tue, 09/12/06 11:54 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by rebeltruce

        White bread, thick slice of tomato, salt, pepper...ton of mayo (Hellman's of course)...occasionally a nice thin slice of Vidalia onion.

        Time to head to the farmer's market!


        Make mine with some fine sweet 1015 onions....OUTSTANDING.
         
        #34
          roossy90

          • Total Posts: 6695
          • Joined: 8/15/2005
          • Location: columbus, oh
          RE: Tomato Sandwich Tue, 09/12/06 8:28 PM (permalink)
          Whats a 1015 onion??
          I am sure when you tell me, I will feel stupid, but its ok.
          I'm used to it..
           
          #35
            enginecapt

            • Total Posts: 3486
            • Joined: 6/4/2004
            • Location: Fontana, CA
            RE: Tomato Sandwich Tue, 09/12/06 8:57 PM (permalink)
            It's a sweet onion from Texas. They're bred for seeding on Oct 15.
             
            #36
              roossy90

              • Total Posts: 6695
              • Joined: 8/15/2005
              • Location: columbus, oh
              RE: Tomato Sandwich Tue, 09/12/06 11:30 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by enginecapt

              It's a sweet onion from Texas. They're bred for seeding on Oct 15.

              Thanks..
              Now I dont feel stupid...
               
              #37
                AndreaB

                • Total Posts: 1303
                • Joined: 12/6/2004
                • Location: Versailles, KY
                RE: Tomato Sandwich Wed, 09/13/06 8:48 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by UncleVic

                Once ya stick them in the fridge, they'll taste like the ones you get in the middle of the winter... Tasteless.
                If you want to extend your season indoors for a few weeks, pick a bunch of green ones. Place a few in a paper bag (to trap the gasses) and they'll quickly ripen.


                Thanks for the advice, UncleVic --- I have an abundance of green tomatoes and I sure don't want them to go to waste.

                Andrea
                 
                #38
                  ashd8516

                  • Total Posts: 27
                  • Joined: 9/30/2006
                  • Location: suburb of Toledo, OH
                  RE: Tomato Sandwich Sat, 09/30/06 1:31 AM (permalink)
                  On Wonder bread with lots of Miracle Whip...absolutely fabulous. Does anyone remember the movie Harriet the Spy? Her favorite sandwich was tomato with mayo.
                   
                  #39
                    Fieldthistle

                    • Total Posts: 1948
                    • Joined: 7/30/2005
                    • Location: Hinton, VA
                    RE: Tomato Sandwich Sat, 09/30/06 2:12 AM (permalink)
                    Hello All,
                    Ashd8516, welcome to Roadfood.
                    I have a tomato sandwich at least once a day. I am finding I like a more grainy bread as I get older.
                    And more salt. I know that is bad, but tomato and salt are so sweet.
                    Take Care,
                    Fieldthistle
                     
                    #40
                      AndreaB

                      • Total Posts: 1303
                      • Joined: 12/6/2004
                      • Location: Versailles, KY
                      RE: Tomato Sandwich Sat, 09/30/06 3:50 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by ashd8516

                      On Wonder bread with lots of Miracle Whip...absolutely fabulous. Does anyone remember the movie Harriet the Spy? Her favorite sandwich was tomato with mayo.



                      Ha ha I haven't seen the movie, but I remember the books from childhood! They would be fun to read again. And yes, she did love tomato sandwiches!

                      Andrea

                       
                      #41
                        Buckshot

                        • Total Posts: 89
                        • Joined: 2/17/2004
                        • Location: Waco, Tx & Morristown, TN
                        RE: Tomato Sandwich Mon, 10/2/06 5:06 PM (permalink)
                        Fresh white bread, thick sliced red ripe tomato, lots of JFG mayo, salt and pepper!!! Boy howdy, that's a good sandwich!

                        (Tomato must be room temperature, never refrigerated!!!)

                        Buckshot
                         
                        #42
                          russ2304

                          • Total Posts: 261
                          • Joined: 7/15/2006
                          • Location: Belmar, NJ
                          RE: Tomato Sandwich Tue, 10/3/06 11:25 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Buckshot

                          Fresh white bread, thick sliced red ripe tomato, lots of JFG mayo, salt and pepper!!! Boy howdy, that's a good sandwich!

                          (Tomato must be room temperature, never refrigerated!!!)

                          Buckshot
                          Hey Buckshot ------------What is JFG mayo? Can't be better than Hellmans or Best. Use one of them and then you can say "Boy,howdy,that's a GREAT sandwich.

                          Russ
                           
                          #43
                            ann peeples

                            • Total Posts: 8317
                            • Joined: 5/21/2006
                            • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                            RE: Tomato Sandwich Tue, 10/3/06 11:27 AM (permalink)
                            LOVED Harriet the spy...she also liked egg creams....
                             
                            #44
                              Buckshot

                              • Total Posts: 89
                              • Joined: 2/17/2004
                              • Location: Waco, Tx & Morristown, TN
                              RE: Tomato Sandwich Tue, 10/3/06 1:48 PM (permalink)
                              russ2304,

                              JFG mayo is from JFG Coffee Company, which originated in 1882 in Knoxville, TN. I grew up in East Tennessee eating JFG peanut butter, mayo and later drinking JFG coffee. I've tried every mayo known to man, but my favorite is still JFG. My mom sends me four quart jars of mayo every so often since I now live in Texas. JFG products were regional, and they are still available in East Tennessee. JFG stands for J. Frank Goodson, the company founder. Yep, it's better than Hellmans.

                              Buckshot
                               
                              #45
                                Ciaoman

                                • Total Posts: 375
                                • Joined: 5/2/2006
                                • Location: Killingworth, CT
                                RE: Tomato Sandwich Tue, 10/3/06 2:05 PM (permalink)
                                Totally agree with not putting tomatoes in the fridge--its like eating ice cold cheese...no flavor.

                                Good bread (e.g., Pepperidge Farm's Dark German Wheat), thick slices of tomato, fresh pepper, salt and KRAFT mayo. (I don't care for Hellman's texture or flavor.)
                                 
                                #46
                                  desertdog

                                  • Total Posts: 1946
                                  • Joined: 5/24/2006
                                  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
                                  RE: Tomato Sandwich Tue, 10/3/06 8:44 PM (permalink)
                                  room temp beefsteaks on lightly buttered, fresh off the grill chibatta toast and a sprinkle of salt.

                                  nothing more, nothing less.
                                   
                                  #47
                                    Sundancer7

                                    RE: Tomato Sandwich Wed, 10/4/06 5:23 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Buckshot

                                    russ2304,

                                    JFG mayo is from JFG Coffee Company, which originated in 1882 in Knoxville, TN. I grew up in East Tennessee eating JFG peanut butter, mayo and later drinking JFG coffee. I've tried every mayo known to man, but my favorite is still JFG. My mom sends me four quart jars of mayo every so often since I now live in Texas. JFG products were regional, and they are still available in East Tennessee. JFG stands for J. Frank Goodson, the company founder. Yep, it's better than Hellmans.

                                    Buckshot


                                    I totally agree: I am a native of Knoxville and I have enjoyed the aroma of coffee roasting in downtown Knoxvillle for better than 60 years.

                                    Their quality of taste is super. Most folks our of Knoxville will not recoginize the brand.

                                    Paul E. Smith
                                    Knoxville, TN
                                     
                                    #48
                                      shortchef

                                      • Total Posts: 624
                                      • Joined: 1/28/2004
                                      • Location: Nokomis, FL
                                      RE: Tomato Sandwich Wed, 10/4/06 7:53 AM (permalink)
                                      And the other truly acceptable mayonnaise is Duke's. Last week when we went to NC I picked up 3 quart jars at a Food Lion in Hatteras. Living in the midwest is great except for the lack of fresh seafood and Duke's mayo. But once a year I stock up, so we're fine.
                                       
                                      #49
                                        Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                        Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49

                                        Jump to:

                                        Current active users

                                        There are 0 members and 2 guests.

                                        Icon Legend and Permission

                                        • New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

                                        2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com