The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Knockum Hill in Herndon, Ky

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
Knockum Hill in Herndon, Ky Mon, 08/28/06 7:46 PM (permalink)

Louis mentioned this place a few days ago and I picked up on his description of a massive pork chop I arranged to meet up with him on Saturday at Knockum Hill. The outside of the building is very inviting.

When we got inside, the menu was brief, to the point and very inexpensive. Note the $0.75 anything you want to drink. What catches your eye is that their pork chop is priced higher than the ribs.

I had already been tipped as to the chop. I made an entire day trip for this chop. I was not disappointed. I have had many one pound pork chops in Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa, but this behemoth is in a category by itself, unless you've been to the Big Texan, in Amarillo, and ordered (or seen) the 72 oz. monster.

It was cooked perfectly. There was a half-inch smoke ring, but not the least sign of drying out, which I totally expected. I'll remember this plate for a long long time.

Now for the downside. The sides were not up to par. The baked beans, I believe, came out of a can, without much imagination devoted to them afterwards. Louis liked the burgoo, but it had so many lima beans, I couldn't taste anything else.
I sampled the pulled pork, but wasn't impressed. The sauce was OK, but not inspired. Fortunately, I had a bottle of Trolinger's bbq sauce in my saddlebags, that saved the sandwich.
All in all, it's a great place, but a one trick pony.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com