The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Sushi grade seafood in Fairfield County, CT

sofurry

• Total Posts: 18
Sushi grade seafood in Fairfield County, CT Tue, 09/12/06 4:51 PM (permalink)
I just moved to Fairfield and am having a hard time finding a fish store that sells sushi-grade seafood. Anyone have any suggestions? An Asian market that also sells sushi supplies would be ideal but I'll settle for just the fish, thanks.

Bulldozer Rectangle

• Total Posts: 102
    RE: Sushi grade seafood in Fairfield County, CT Wed, 09/13/06 6:02 PM (permalink)
    I am relieved that you did not just decide to buy the frozen atlantic salmon and eat it raw.

The problem I've always had is that most fish stores just whip out the same knife; you know, the one that has been chopping frozen catfish and tilapia and other questionable frozen colored fish. Yuck!

Down here in Houston we have a Japanese grocery store, and that's the only place where I'll buy fish to eat raw. You didn't say whether you were in the Bridgeport, Danbury, or Greenwich part of Fairfield county.

Google Maps returned this: Harajyuku Japanese Grocery Str
    238 E Putnam Ave, Cos Cob, CT

sofurry

• Total Posts: 18
      RE: Sushi grade seafood in Fairfield County, CT Thu, 09/14/06 4:32 PM (permalink)
      yeah, I noticed that one, it's about 40 minutes away from me in Fairfield. I think I saw one in Orange CT when I was driving there not too long ago but I couldn't tell if it was still open. Thanks for the reply though. For the record, I'm pretty sure that all salmon sushi must be flash frozen in order to kill the worms.

vegas

• Total Posts: 82
        RE: Sushi grade seafood in Fairfield County, CT Thu, 09/14/06 4:45 PM (permalink)

Paganos Seafood in Norwalk supplies many of the restaurants in Fairfield County

xannie_01

• Total Posts: 1481
          RE: Sushi grade seafood in Fairfield County, CT Thu, 09/14/06 4:45 PM (permalink)
          worms????????????????????

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
            RE: Sushi grade seafood in Fairfield County, CT Thu, 09/14/06 5:05 PM (permalink)

Two places may fit the bill. The first one is a Asian grocery in New Haven called J-Mart. It is on the first exit, off to the right and next to a soon to be demolished monstrosity. You'll know what I am talking about when you see it. They have fresh fish in tanks for you to make a choice from. But if you are looking for tuna or salmon, it's not there.

The second place is simply called Asian Market. It is in Norwalk on New Canaan Ave. They don't have fresh fish but they used to make the sushi for Stew Leonard's before Stew created his own booth inside the place and did it in house. That said, I do buy my Unagi/BBQ eel there.
            What I do like is the variety of ingredients that they have for whatever you want to cook. For instance, they have various ingredients for Thai cooking that I cannot find elsewhere.

But what is great about the place is that on Friday they bring in all this food from Chinatown in lower Manhattan. Call them up and order the roast duck or the steamed or baked BBQ pork rolls. They have other things available too. They also have a popular and inexpensive plate lunch. Check 'em out.

Reading this post, I think that I found the answer. Stew Leonard's has a pretty extensive fresh fish section and you might find the right stuff.

mark

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com