Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

OMG...help!

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 44 of 44
Willly

• Total Posts: 396
RE: OMG...help! Tue, 09/19/06 3:20 PM (permalink)
We won a chili cookoff using this addition: highly concentrated chicken stock. At my restaurant, we bake off wings, and then deep fry to order for buffalo wings. We used the strained and defatted juice that resulted from baking 20 lbs of wings to add an undercurrent of meatiness to a chili we initially thought was flat and bland...

Ciaoman

• Total Posts: 375
    RE: OMG...help! Tue, 09/19/06 3:33 PM (permalink)
    Lunasatic, you "boil, drain and RINSE" the pork sausage? Do you boil the sausage whole or chopped up? I know everyone's taste is different but sausage that is boiled (whether in water or in anything else) tastes waterlogged and flavorless to me. If the elimination of the sausage fat is your aim, why not just reduce the amount of sausage in your recipe. For example, you can flavor a decent size pan of tomato sauce with just one Italian sausage. Grill it, chop it up and add it to the sauce. You can do the same with just 2-3 strips of bacon or a small amount of Pancetta (pasta al' Amaticiana). Doing this would also save you prep time, I think. Just a suggestion.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
      RE: OMG...help! Tue, 09/19/06 3:42 PM (permalink)
      I can't beleive this has gone so long without someone blaming the beansand to stay on thread, I agree with the cumin, garlic and the salt being last. My chili has one ribbons here at work and my ex would still puts ketchup in it.

firefun3

• Total Posts: 9
        RE: OMG...help! Sun, 10/1/06 4:25 PM (permalink)
        Well...I added salt, garlic, cumin, and some extra pepper...I still wasn't satisfied with the taste, but took the whole pot to work...It was gone in less than an hour!

Apparently it wasn't as bad as I thought...or the people I work with have no taste...hmmm...that gets me thinking...

Thanks everyone for your input!

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
          RE: OMG...help! Sun, 10/1/06 4:43 PM (permalink)
          Sounds like your on your way to becoming a true chili head Fire! I bet that was a good pot a chili. Hey, if they ate it... it was good.
          Joe

Torchman

• Total Posts: 22
            RE: OMG...help! Fri, 10/13/06 5:35 PM (permalink)
            I just went and copied a post I made to a fishing forum I frequent. If you want to "jazz" up your chili, add some of the pepper mixture I make. Its EASY, freezes well...and works in ANY dish you want to kick up..

My "Man Chile" is almost legendary (read as heartburn) at get togethers! It is based on recipe purportedly to be LBJ's favorite....unfortunately I lost the exact recipe years ago. But, hell, its CHILE!!! No two batches are exactley the same ANYWAYS!!! So, lacking an "exact" recipe...I'll just go through it like I was making it...except for the SECRET INGREDIENT that I will share seperately.

First, I do this in a crock pot, so just kinda plan the volumes to fill yours.

Soak/cook a pot of beans in salt water for an hour or so...like half/ 3/4 of a bag depending on how you like it. Remember, this is MAN CHILE, tweak to taste!!!

Start the Crock with a large (32 oz?) plus small can of tomatoe sauce, low simmer. Toss some seasoning in...salt, pepper, seasoning salt, etc. I WOULD NOT do chile powder or cayenne..that is what the "secret ingredient" is for!!

While that is warming, and the beans are simmering on the stove...its time for MEAT!! About 2 lbs, your choice, cut into bite sized chunks. I've used Round, Top Sirloin, I'm sure venison would be AWESOME...you get the point. I usually grab a London Broil. Also, you will need about 1-1 1/2 ground beef. I like a cast iron skillet for this step. Chop an onion, and several cloves of garlic (I usually do about 10). Put a couple of TBS of oil in the skillet and brown the onions/garlic. Toss them in the crock. Add the steak and brown. Season with salt and pepper. When brown, toss in the crock. Brown the ground meat, season...and toss in the crock.

Fill the rest of the crock with drained beans. (I spoon them in with a slotted spoon). Pop on the lid and let it simmer.

Now for the SECRET!!! This works for more than Chile.....

Pepper Madness...

Go to the veggy section, get a few of every pepper. Variety is the KEY. The ONLY MUST HAVES are 5-6 Habeneros, and some dried Anchos or Pablanos. A mix of fresh and dried works well. The more the merrier!! Clean all the peppers of seeds, toss them in the blender with a couple of spoons of oil and enough water to make a thick paste, and a couple of garlic cloves. Blend well, then simmer for about 10 minutes. Let it cool, and dip a finger and taste. This stuff should be "TIMEBOMB" hot...."Mmmmmm..............WOW!!!!"

Toss 3-4 spoonfuls of this in the crock. Let it simmer for about 4 hours. Now TASTE. Add more pepper sauce to what YOU LIKE as far as heat. Remember this is SLOW BURN, its NOT "blow your head off". Its MMMM..................WOW!!! :-)Some chopped cilantro? Diced bell peppers for color? A half can of beer? REMEMBER it is MAN CHILE!!! Usually at this point I leave the lid off, and simmer till it is "stand up spoon" thick. If you have to do a bit of cornstarch/arrowroot, fine.

I have never found ANYONE who DOESN"T like this. I "fine tune" by spooning more or less pepper, depending on who it is for. Also, the remaining pepper mix freezes well and works in anything you want to add a bit of nice heat too, enchiladas, etc.

Enjoy!!!

Forgot to say......spoon this into a tortilla and top with cheese...the best damn Chile Colorado Burro you will ever gum!!!!!

Sneetch

• Total Posts: 393
              RE: OMG...help! Fri, 10/13/06 5:41 PM (permalink)
              ...salt and cinnamon, perhaps?

PapaJoe8

RE: OMG...help! Fri, 10/13/06 5:43 PM (permalink)
                Wow Torchman, thanks for the post, and welcome to roadfood! You left me speachless, and that's hard to do!
                Joe

Torchman

RE: OMG...help! Fri, 10/13/06 7:21 PM (permalink)
                  Sneetch...
                  OF COURSE!!! That is what I was getting at!! Chile is a "process"..especially MAN chile! Toss in anything you like to eat!! What I posted was just a "basic" brew...the sky is the limit. Only thing I CONSIDER mandatory is the pepper "concoction for seasoning to taste. Oh, and I toss cumin, black pepper, whatever in as the mood strikes me....and LOTS of fresh garlic...as that ALWAYS strikes me!! :-) I have also been tossing FRESH chopped tomatoes along with the canned..its a nice touch. Just..learn a basic "method"...then run with it!! Like I said....NOBODY I have fed my swill to has NOT gone back to the pot!!
                  Take Care..

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                    RE: OMG...help! Sun, 11/19/06 10:31 AM (permalink)
                    It starts with the meat, if its not spiced as its browned everything else just sits on top. My daughter in law only uses ground turkey or chicken, absolutly no beef or pork, she's learned to be HEAVY with the spices as its cooked and most of her dishes are very well received, taco's burgers, chili etc.. its all in the cooking!

I like to add the packaged seasoning mixes to the meat AS it cooks, chili mix, taco mix , brown gravy mix, by themselves or a combo, sprinkle it over the meat and brown it off (no water) of course theres a base of onions, peppers and garlic in the pan

PapaJoe8

RE: OMG...help! Sun, 11/19/06 1:26 PM (permalink)
                      Dreamz, the "ways to cook the meat" thread needs your ideas above.
                      Joe

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                        RE: OMG...help! Sun, 11/19/06 1:38 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        firefun3 Posted - 09/14/2006 : 20:41:49
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Hello! I just made a batch of chili...ground beef, ground turkey, chili beans, tomatoes with diced green chilies, chili powder, ground ancho chile pepper, black pepper, and a touch of cumin...and while it smells wonderful,

OMG!!! It is BLAND!!!!

It has some heat to it, but the flavor just isn't there. Any ideas on what I can add to help it out? I do not want to add any more heat!

Thanks!
                        you asked........Any ideas on what I can add to help it out?
                        it's not what you can add it's what you can subtract ........the turkey.......!

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                          RE: OMG...help! Sun, 11/19/06 2:03 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Torchman Posted - 10/13/2006 : 19:21:23

quote:
                          My "Man Chile" is almost legendary (read as heartburn) at get togethers! It is based on recipe purportedly to be LBJ's favorite....unfortunately I lost the exact recipe years ago. But, hell, its CHILE!!! No two batches are exactley the same ANYWAYS!!! So, lacking an "exact" recipe...I'll just go through it like I was making it...except for the SECRET INGREDIENT that I will share seperately.
                          Torchman.............. when I make my "Man Chile" my SECRET INGREDIENT is I shred/puree the center fold of last month's Playboy magazine along with a can of anchovies.............. I dont know if LBJ liked it but I'm sure President Bill Clinton did ......

Torchman

RE: OMG...help! Mon, 12/25/06 8:07 PM (permalink)
                            FP....As long as it is not CHINESE CHILI..(MAN GOO) , all is good!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                              Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 44 of 44

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com