The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

i am buying concession trailer, advice needed

Jake23

• Total Posts: 1
i am buying concession trailer, advice needed Tue, 09/19/06 10:06 AM (permalink)
Guys, we are buying concession trailer made in 2005. Do you know what restrictions there are in Miami, FL on this type of business?

Also is the trailer we buy worth $7500?

It is here:
http://allkap.100webspace.net/trailer/

Thanks in advance!

Acme

• Total Posts: 12
    RE: i am buying concession trailer, advice needed Tue, 09/19/06 10:14 AM (permalink)
    A little bit of advice: If you want to make a small fortune in selling food, be sure to start out with a big fortune and buy that trailer.

prisonchef

• Total Posts: 296
      RE: i am buying concession trailer, advice needed Tue, 09/19/06 7:22 PM (permalink)
      jake,
      from the pics that you show it has the required triplesink and hand washing sink. is this rig currently an MFD with an up to date decal???
      since you do not indicate the foods being prepared it is kind of hard to tell as far as hoods and fire systems are concerned.
      most likely the best thing to do before you buy is to get with the florida state department of business and professional regulation.
      myself if it wasn't new (which means you go through the plan approval process with a blank sheet of paper like we did) i would demand a current MFD sticker as a condition of purchase.
      from what i have been lead to believe st johns and dade county are the 2 hardest counties in florida for the permitting and approval process.
      hope it helps
      jack

texgrill

• Total Posts: 302
        RE: i am buying concession trailer, advice needed Wed, 09/20/06 12:26 PM (permalink)
        I shopped a few trailers here in south Texas. The condition and price range from $5000 - $30,000.

The best deal I ran across for a new custom build trailer was $1000 per foot. The chassis and exterior were fabbed in Mexico and built out to order in south Houston.

Why not start with a cart or BBQ pit? Let the business grow into something larger.

Ronnie
        Tex Grill

festivalfood

• Total Posts: 168
          RE: i am buying concession trailer, advice needed Thu, 09/21/06 9:15 PM (permalink)
          Hi Jake
          I would not buy that that trailer for that price.That trailer is clean ,but it is a homemade trailer built on a utility trailer.If you look hard enough you can find a clean used real concession trailer for that price,especially this time of the year.I know that sounds a little critical,but you would be hard pressed to get $2000 for that homemade trailer if you decided the business was not for you and you tried to resell it.There are many real concession trailers around,check ebay,they are always on there,also concessiontrailers.com and usedrides.com.If that trailer was a couple of grand and that was your price range,I would say go for it and if you do well,upgrade later,but $7500 for that trailer is way too much,unless it was in a busy spot and it came with the spot,but by itself no way.Take your time and look around,good deals pop up when you least expect them.I have two waymatic concession trailers a 8'x10' and a 8'x14' (each over $30k new)and a stainless enclosed hot dog trailer by custom sales (over $10k new) and I didn't pay $7500 for all three combined.I admit all three deals were total steals,but if you look hard enough you can find a nice used "real" concession trailer for that price and there is a difference in eye appeal("flash is cash"!)to the customer,and event officials if your trying to get into an event,and in resale value.
          Best of luck!
          Jim

prisonchef

• Total Posts: 296
            RE: i am buying concession trailer, advice needed Thu, 09/21/06 10:05 PM (permalink)
            jake,
            since you are in miami try this. go to www.trailer-tech.com Look at the specs there. their rigs will pass both dade and st johns county and most importantly florida department of professional and business regulation requirements.
            if you do go to trailer tech ask for alex alverez. good guy and can save you a bundle. their rigs tow like a dream and stop straight as an arrow in panic situations and we both know what the blue hairs here in florida are like.
            we have used one of their tt818 custom trailers over two years now. i have never regretted that purchase.
            jack
            ps. i just checked the link it works .

porkchopexpress

• Total Posts: 798
              RE: i am buying concession trailer, advice needed Fri, 09/29/06 5:03 PM (permalink)
              I do concessions for a living and in my area I couldn't get the events I have with that trailer. Find a company that makes concession trailers only. I own a century trailer but there are many companys like this. also check mattscarnivalwarehouse.com and click on classifieds. For $7500.00 you can find a decent used real concession trailer

holdem

• Total Posts: 411
                RE: i am buying concession trailer, advice needed Fri, 09/29/06 8:25 PM (permalink)
                Hey porckchopexpress. How do you actually get in the events? Thanks.

porkchopexpress

• Total Posts: 798
                  RE: i am buying concession trailer, advice needed Fri, 09/29/06 9:00 PM (permalink)
                  Talk to the person in charge of vendors for the event. Do it early and talk to them email most of the time won't work and find a different product to sell. Every vendor wants to sell funnel cakes and corn dogs in my area, well each fair or festival can only handle so many of those vendors. Find you a unique food item that will create a buzz and run with it. I can tell you a food that is a little cumbersome to prepare but it's just about all profit and its a hit in my area alot of the vendors in my area don't want to sell this item because it takes a little work to sell this item. But $6.00 for each one is worth it.

BR

• Total Posts: 233
                    RE: i am buying concession trailer, advice needed Sat, 09/30/06 3:52 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by porkchopexpress

Talk to the person in charge of vendors for the event. Do it early and talk to them email most of the time won't work and find a different product to sell. Every vendor wants to sell funnel cakes and corn dogs in my area, well each fair or festival can only handle so many of those vendors. Find you a unique food item that will create a buzz and run with it. I can tell you a food that is a little cumbersome to prepare but it's just about all profit and its a hit in my area alot of the vendors in my area don't want to sell this item because it takes a little work to sell this item. But $6.00 for each one is worth it.

Okay I'll bite... what's the item you are referring to?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com