The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Old Hamburger Resturants!

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 77 of 77
wallhd

RE: Old Hamburger Resturants! Fri, 02/8/08 3:46 PM (permalink)
Plattsburgh NY still has a Ground Round, owned by the same family firm that used to own our local HoJo's (which is now part of the 99 chain). GR is kind of a fun place to go for a few drinks, but I'm not fond of their food.

Wally

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
    RE: Old Hamburger Resturants! Fri, 02/8/08 3:51 PM (permalink)
    Hey nicolem,
    I went to the same Burger Chef and also the one in Brick. There's a rumor Hardees may be bringing back Burger chef!

Earl of Sandwich

• Total Posts: 600
      RE: Old Hamburger Resturants! Sun, 02/10/08 8:11 AM (permalink)
      I used to love the old Dixie Hamburger joint in Hamilton, OH on Rt 4 (Dixie Hwy) . Seems like they were about 6 for $1 years and years ago. Really small, smothered in onions and fasntastic.

newwavemichael

• Total Posts: 12
        RE: Old Hamburger Resturants! Sat, 02/16/08 7:02 AM (permalink)
        leethebard I believe the rumor that hardees is bringing back burger chef wont happen,there is a guy that specializes in reviving long gone brand names and he has been trying to get the burger chef name for a few years now,and since hardees owns it they have to use something from the dormant brand name every few years or there rights expire,so every so often hardees will add a sandwich to there menu at a few of there locations with the name of a burger chef sandwich,eventhough it doesn't remotley resemble the long gone sandwich,that along with proper paperwork filing lets then keep the trademark so noone else can use it,there is a rumor that hardees was late in that last filing,so there is a small window of hope that burger chef will be back,but not likely,I know I have way too much time on my hands to know about this(lol)

leethebard

RE: Old Hamburger Resturants! Sat, 02/16/08 8:28 AM (permalink)
          Thanks Michael for the info> We can only hope. And welcome to Roadfood.

Holly Moore

RE: Old Hamburger Resturants! Sat, 02/16/08 12:20 PM (permalink)
            Back in their glory days Burger Chef was owned by general foods. General foods paid less to buy the entire Burger Chef chain than McDonald's paid to buy out its Washington DC franchise.

brickie

• Total Posts: 226
              RE: Old Hamburger Resturants! Sat, 02/16/08 7:28 PM (permalink)
              Well I had my first White Hutt cheeseburger on the 15th of Feb.
              I had it with onions and ketchup.
              It was WONDERFUL.

leethebard

RE: Old Hamburger Resturants! Sat, 02/16/08 7:32 PM (permalink)
                What's White Hutt and where are they????

Tony Bad

RE: Old Hamburger Resturants! Sat, 02/16/08 10:14 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by leethebard

What's White Hutt and where are they????

[url='http://roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=364'] THIS [/url] is the only one I know about.

leethebard

RE: Old Hamburger Resturants! Sun, 02/17/08 7:25 AM (permalink)
                    Thanks,Tony Bad for the pictures. Looks like an interesting place.

ohtara1211

• Total Posts: 1
                      Re:Old Hamburger Resturants! Sat, 10/10/09 2:38 PM (permalink)
                      I recall my parents taking us to a Kellys just outside of Montville, CT, circa 1966, every Friday or so. It was located directly across from a McDonalds that eventually spelled it's demise. As an 8 year old kid I would beg my folks to let us go to across the street to the The Golden Arches, such was the power of their marketing campaign on my young mind. As an adult I had occasion to drive by there a couple of years ago. Sadly, Kellys was long gone. I could have fulfilled my childhood wish with a Big Mack, but somehow could'nt bring myself to do it. Be careful what you wish for.

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 900
                        RE: Old Hamburger Resturants! Thu, 10/15/09 10:05 AM (permalink)
                        I remember a few Hot Shoppes car hop service places around Philly in the late 50's.  My favorite burger was the Mighty Mo

rokelemaster

• Total Posts: 9
                          RE: Old Hamburger Resturants! Thu, 10/15/09 11:05 AM (permalink)
                          I remeber a chain called Burger Boy Food-o-rama, or BBF. There were three in my hometown and they had 15 cent items: 15 cent hamburgers, 15 cent fries and 15 cent soda. A meal for a half a buck!

This was about the time the first Mcd's came to town (No indoor dinner room!)  and the first Burger Chef. We used to go to the side window and watch the guy load burgers on the conveyor belt and we could see the "flame-broiled" cooking!

brb-vt

• Total Posts: 1
                            RE: Old Hamburger Resturants! Mon, 11/2/09 10:49 AM (permalink)
                            WallHD-
                            We have a  Ground Round on this side of the lake on Williston Road in South Burlington, Vt., owned by the same family that owns the restaurant in Plattsburgh. The Ground Round burgers are still big and juicy and consistent in quality.

Burlington is loaded with local favorite restaurants with many featuring good burgers. One of the best is Ground Round's Williston Road neighbor, Al's French Frys, a fast food spot that is always busier than a McDonalds just two doors to the west and a Burger King across the street. Al's also has a popular ice cream stand with soft serve and Hershey's-brand hard ice cream. 

In both the Burlington and Plattsburgh area, Ground Round has survived while Hooters has come and gone. TGI Friday's in South Burlington also has closed.

plb

RE: Old Hamburger Resturants! Mon, 11/2/09 1:09 PM (permalink)
                              rokelemaster

I remeber a chain called Burger Boy Food-o-rama, or BBF. There were three in my hometown and they had 15 cent items: 15 cent hamburgers, 15 cent fries and 15 cent soda. A meal for a half a buck!

There was an early 60's place in my hometown that had 15 cent items.  It was originally named Mr. 15.  But later when it raised its prices it became something to do with burgers, like Burger Boy or Mr. Burger, wish I could remember. 

Joisey

• Total Posts: 150
                                RE: Old Hamburger Resturants! Tue, 11/10/09 1:36 PM (permalink)
                                As a kid in Jersey city, we had a few good burger joints.  Mister S on Observer highway was the closest we had to fast food/mcdonalds type burger joint.  The king was Tippy's on Kennedy Blvd.  Charcoal broiled, crisp fries and you could also get pizza there!  Best of all worlds!

Buddy Dek

• Total Posts: 133
                                  RE: Old Hamburger Resturants! Sun, 11/15/09 6:22 PM (permalink)
                                  In the last 5 years Ground Round locations have disappeared from parts of long Island. Restaurants were in Commack, Hauppauge,Bay Shore and Pathchogue.  I never realized how big the chain really was. See thread below from Wikepedia
                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_Round   Buddy

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                    Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 77 of 77

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com