The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Best Pizza in the San Diego Area

MrDimn

• Total Posts: 14
Best Pizza in the San Diego Area Thu, 10/19/06 8:25 PM (permalink)
Hi Folks -

Before I get roasted for the subject line... let me give you the understanding that I am from New Jersey, I spent 30 years having the best pizza in the world living out there, and now I am dealing with what's here in San Diego.

Now then, the spots that I whole heartedly recommend are good spots. They are not exactly like the pizza found in NJ/NY or Chicago but I would suggest these spots when you are dying for some good pizza out on the west coast.

I will start with NJ/NY style thin crust pizza.

The pizza joints I would recommend for this style is called KnockOut Pizzeria. They are found in San Diego(Mira Mesa area), and Carlsbad.
They have a respectable version of the thin crust. They make an 18" pie with your basic toppings and a few strange things, but the owners are from the NY area. The only comments I have is that it's a little thinner than the standard NY/NJ pizza, but it's still better than the other chains.

If you want really tasty Chicago-style deep dish pizza, I would suggest a restaurant called The Spot in La Jolla (sounds like La Hoya), CA, which is in the same area as San Diego.

They have a fantastic crust, with some fresh tomatoes and everything is just delicious! Take your time at the place, order a beer or two or a soda, and just enjoy the food. Their pizza was the first one I found in San Diego that was actually really GOOD!

If you visit the left coast down in San Diego, stop by those shops and enjoy!

Thanks,

Doug

Doatsie82

• Total Posts: 205
    RE: Best Pizza in the San Diego Area Thu, 10/19/06 8:35 PM (permalink)
    Hello MrDimn. I was really tempted to send you an email directly after I read your first post about NJ dogs. You're from Bloomfield and now live in San Diego. I'm from North Arlington and live in Oceanside! You are correct about KnockOut of course. Did you know that their "sister" shop is Bronx Pizza in Hillcrest? Where are you in SD? Because if you are close enough to Oceanside I have a recomendation for pizza that I feel is even better than Knockout. It is Capozzoli's on Mission Avenue. The crust is not too thin like you said. One last thing, have you ever been to Jo-Jo's in Lyndhurst, NJ? Doatsie

MrDimn

• Total Posts: 14
      RE: Best Pizza in the San Diego Area Thu, 10/19/06 8:50 PM (permalink)
      Hi Doatsie -

Small world, huh? Going from NJ to SoCal and having the same basic tastes in food! I love the internet!

I do know about Bronx, I haven't tried it yet, but that is supposed to be really good also. I need to take a roadtrip down that way one of these days.

As for Capozzoli's, I don't know this place!! I think I need to take a ride over to Oceanside this weekend to try out a new place! If it's better than Knockout, I will be surprised. KO is pretty good.

I have not been to Jo-Jo's yet. But I will have to give it a try while I am back in NJ for my visits. I usually go back for T-day and X-mas.

Thanks for the info.

Doug

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com