The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Rockfish Recipes

Author Message
Stonewall

  • Total Posts: 7
  • Joined: 7/20/2004
  • Location: Winchester, VA, VA
Rockfish Recipes Fri, 10/20/06 8:05 AM (permalink)
I want to cook about a 6 lb rockfish. What would be the best way to cook it, whole or filleted? I plan to cook it in alum foil, with some type of marinate. If you have a recipe, please share it with me. What would be a good price per lb for this type of fish? Thanks.
 
#1
    shortchef

    • Total Posts: 624
    • Joined: 1/28/2004
    • Location: Nokomis, FL
    RE: Rockfish Recipes Mon, 10/23/06 2:09 PM (permalink)
    The last time I cooked one, I split it, scored the skin, put it on some non-stick foil, basted it with olive oil, sprinkled it with Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, grilled it, squeezed a fresh lemon on top when I served it. There was nothing left. So I guess I did okay. This also works with flounder, you don't have to split that one.
     
    #2
      shortchef

      • Total Posts: 624
      • Joined: 1/28/2004
      • Location: Nokomis, FL
      RE: Rockfish Recipes Mon, 10/23/06 2:10 PM (permalink)
      Oh, and by the way, where did you come up with a big rockfish? I would knock somebody down for one of those..
       
      #3
        Michael Hoffman

        • Total Posts: 17845
        • Joined: 7/1/2000
        • Location: Gahanna, OH
        RE: Rockfish Recipes Mon, 10/23/06 3:48 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by shortchef

        Oh, and by the way, where did you come up with a big rockfish? I would knock somebody down for one of those..

        A six-pounder is a sort of little guy. Stripers -- and even wipers -- get a lot bigger than that.
         
        #4
          ocdreamr

          • Total Posts: 1109
          • Joined: 3/12/2003
          • Location: Wilmington, NC
          RE: Rockfish Recipes Mon, 10/23/06 5:50 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

          quote:
          Originally posted by shortchef

          Oh, and by the way, where did you come up with a big rockfish? I would knock somebody down for one of those..

          A six-pounder is a sort of little guy. Stripers -- and even wipers -- get a lot bigger than that.


          I agree Michael. I must say, one of the things I've had trouble getting down here in North Carolina is rockfish. I have fond memories of the Rock that my old neighbor up in Baltimore used to give me. Here's a picture of one he caught 2 years ago, it made a state record. Chris is about 6 foot tall, for reference to the size of the fish! It was good too!!
           
          #5
            Michael Hoffman

            • Total Posts: 17845
            • Joined: 7/1/2000
            • Location: Gahanna, OH
            RE: Rockfish Recipes Mon, 10/23/06 6:12 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by ocdreamr

            quote:
            Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

            quote:
            Originally posted by shortchef

            Oh, and by the way, where did you come up with a big rockfish? I would knock somebody down for one of those..

            A six-pounder is a sort of little guy. Stripers -- and even wipers -- get a lot bigger than that.


            I agree Michael. I must say, one of the things I've had trouble getting down here in North Carolina is rockfish. I have fond memories of the Rock that my old neighbor up in Baltimore used to give me. Here's a picture of one he caught 2 years ago, it made a state record. Chris is about 6 foot tall, for reference to the size of the fish! It was good too!!


            You can catch stripers at Lake Norman, and the state record striper came from Hiwassee Reservoir in the western part of the state at 54 pounds, two ounces.

            The state record hybrid striper (a cross between a striper and a white bass), which is called a Bodie bass there, came from Lake Chatuge and tipped the scales at 17 pounds, seven ounces.
             
            #6
              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

              Jump to:

              Current active users

              There are 0 members and 2 guests.

              Icon Legend and Permission

              • New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com