Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Who's the expert?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38
Texicana

• Total Posts: 185
RE: Who's the expert? Mon, 08/4/03 2:46 PM (permalink)
I know a thing or two about Mexican border food. Tamales especially, learned from the master. I want a PhD in ribs.

Stogie, you are too modest

wesza

• Total Posts: 54
    RE: Who's the expert? Mon, 08/4/03 4:35 PM (permalink)
    I'm supposed to be a "EXPERT", worked at it for 50+ years as Chef, Consultant, Owner and Troublshooter all over the world, even had a radio show in Northern California, was on Johnny Carson Show, associated with James Beard and Craig Claybourne. Since becoming retired can instigate, advise and enjoy without so called confidential restraints. My professional eating experience was unmatched as I mamaged to achive 485 pounds, can anyone be more of a dedicated eater?. Now i'm down to 185 pounds, but that another story. I spend most of my time seeking out, trying to learn as much as possable about every ethinic food. This to me a advocation, hobby and most fun. This site, Saute Wednesday and Chowhound are my favorites. The Stern's have led me to many pleasurable experiences thru the years, expediting my quest, i've always wished for a daily updated "Road Foods" and it's now available. I'm going on a drive this autumm from Seattle to New York, with stops predicated on where a eating adventure waits, truly a "Road Food Journey", my last was with my wife and we drove for 3 months covering 16,000 miles, YUM. I've been fortunate in setting up and operating Jewish, American, Cantonesse, Peking,Japanesse. Korean, Italian, French,German, Bar-B-Que, Coffee Houses [ Americas First in NYC in 1962], Wine Bars [Honolulu Hawaii 1972] and almost anything Baked, Imported or Exported, even worked on the original USDA meat guide. So, in the future please be tolerent of my postings, and if I overdue them, just bring me down to earth, as i'm not used to being free. Irwin

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7410
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Who's the expert? Mon, 08/4/03 4:46 PM (permalink)
      I am an expert at weeding out chains. I know a chain when I see one and can spot one from a mile even if i never heard of the place before. Can't exactly explain my gift. It's just a "hunch" that I get.

I also have a knack for pinpointing regional cuisine. I can travel from place to place and find something on a menu which I may not find elsewhere, however afer perusing several menus within a specified area over the course of a couple of days, if I find the same item on the menu over and over again, I know it's something regional. Classic example was about 5 years ago I was traveling through the Sioux Falls SD area and kept finding an item called "chislic" on various menus. Although I didn't get to try it, I finally concluded that it was something regional as I've never seen it in any other part of the country.

For those who don't know. Chislic is marinated deep fried meat cubes usually served with a bbq dipping sauce

BigGlenn

RE: Who's the expert? Mon, 08/4/03 8:36 PM (permalink)
        Eating...............I have my Doctorate in eating, Masters in Drinking, with a Minor in weight gain. I am currently working on a Degree in breathing and walking but am having difficulties with these two.

CoreyEl

• Total Posts: 156
          RE: Who's the expert? Mon, 08/4/03 11:38 PM (permalink)
          I'm sort of an expert on kosher Jewish cooking and Amish cooking. I also collect really old cookbooks and used to teach classes on 19th Century cooking at a living history museum.

Lize

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6257
            RE: Who's the expert? Tue, 08/5/03 12:53 AM (permalink)
            Graduate of LaVarenne Ecole de Cuisine when it was still in Paris, worked in France and personal chef to CEO of Schlumberger at their Paris residence and at the chateau at Ouroux. Subsequently went back to the US and was Exec. Chef for many different restaurants that I opened. Decided to semi-retire in Alaska where I enjoy cooking for friends, an occasional catering gig and love to fish and hunt. Life is good. Bueno Appetito

goldsborscht

• Total Posts: 128
              RE: Who's the expert? Tue, 08/5/03 1:06 AM (permalink)
              I'm an expert at spotting good restaurants from outward appearance. Call it superficial, but rarely am I wrong. It's this gift for understanding the nuances of restaurant architecture. I never ate home as a kid, so I have a lot of restaurants under my belt. I know a good restaurant when I literally see it.

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
                RE: Who's the expert? Tue, 08/5/03 4:17 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by CoreyEl

I'm sort of an expert on kosher Jewish cooking and Amish cooking. I also collect really old cookbooks and used to teach classes on 19th Century cooking at a living history museum.

Lize

So, is Amsih Friendship Bread really Amish?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                  Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com