The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Houston mexica Restaurants

Sundancer7

Houston mexica Restaurants Tue, 10/31/06 5:09 PM (permalink)
I am staying at the Residence Inn in Houston on Main St right across from the Reliant Stadium. I have never seen so many Mexican restaurants. It seems that there are two every block.

I suppose it is to be expected as there is a huge population of Hispanics that reside here. The hotel I am at employees at least 90% Hispanic.

There is a huge Mexican place across the street that I may try tonight called the Taco Cabana.

Pauol E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Texianjoe

• Total Posts: 639
    RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Tue, 10/31/06 5:27 PM (permalink)
    Taco Cabana is good but it is fast food. Within a block or two on the south side of 610 is Pappasitos which is good, about 1 mile west at Meyerland Plaza is Escalantes also good, and across Beechnut ST. on the same side of 610 as Meyerland is Los Tios. All Tex-Mex but better than Taco Cabana imo. If you drive east on 610 at the NW corner of 610 and 45 is Gulfgate Mall and on the 45 side behind HEB grocery is Doneraki. I think it is the best TexMex in Houston.

South of you on Almeda about 3 or 4 miles is the Spanish Village and north on 45 north of Downtown and west on Main St. is The Spanish Flower both old established excellent restaurants, but even me growing up in this town and holding a Concealed Carry Premit would't drive into those neighborhoods at night.

joe

Sundancer7

RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Tue, 10/31/06 6:00 PM (permalink)
      Thanks for the info. I think I will try Pappasito's as it seems handy for me as the Residence inn is on Main St. just north of 610.

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Tue, 10/31/06 6:02 PM (permalink)
        Paul

There is a great mexican place called El Pueblito
        Please trust me on this one. I went there in the Spring of 2005. The Beef Enchiladas were some of the best that I ever had.
        They are rated in the top 5 Mexican Restaurants in Houston by AOL
        http://www.elpueblitopatio.com/main.asp

oltheimmer

• Total Posts: 214
          RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Wed, 11/1/06 9:17 AM (permalink)
          As Texianjoe observed, Taco Cabana is a fast food chain; good for a chain, but portions are pretty small for what you pay. Portions at Pappasitos are huge and I think you'll be very pleased with the food.

Spanish Flowers on N. Main @ Airline is a favorite of Houston's Finest and I don't think I've ever driven by there and not seen several patrol cars in the parking lot. It's open 24 hours, 6 days a week, but you don't need to go that far to get good Mexican.

Also, just down from you where S. Main and US 90A (Old Spanish Trail) merge, Capt. Benny's for oysters on the half shell, cold boiled or fried shrimp, catfish (get the whole butterflied cat), gumbo, crawfish etoufee, crawfish piroque, etc. Excellent stuff and a lot less than you paid at Willie G's. Also, Pappadeaux on the S. Loop next to Pappasito's.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
            RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Wed, 11/1/06 11:02 AM (permalink)
            Paul, the reason you see so many mexican restaurants may be something other than the big Hispanic population in Texas. I doubt you will see many Hispanic folks eating in most of the places mentioned above. The reason there are so many mexican restauants? Well maybe because Tex Mex got started in Texas, or???
            Joe

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
              RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Wed, 11/1/06 11:43 AM (permalink)
              I used to travel to Houston all the time on business, and always enjoyed the Tex-Mex at either Pappacito's or Ninfa's. Both are Texas-owned family businesses, with multiple locations.

http://www.pappasitos.com/

http://www.mamaninfas.com/

Bulldozer Rectangle

• Total Posts: 102
                RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Wed, 11/1/06 12:38 PM (permalink)
                Original Ninfas only (on Navigation). the rest are not controlled by the family anymore. avoid avoid avoid.

Spanish Village is another good choice (very close to the stadium area). Not a fan of Spanish Flowers, but it will do in a pinch at 5am after a night of heavy drinking. There are just so many great Mexican dives in that neighborhood that I like better.

El Pueblito is actually Guatemalan/Mexican joint. The patio is the best in town. Fantastic choice, and a local favorite. Maria Selma 1/4 mile west is also good.

Texianjoe

RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Wed, 11/1/06 12:38 PM (permalink)
                  One of my favorit Mexican restaurants is Sylvias Enchilada Kitchen on the SW corner of Dairy Ashford and Westheimer. Here reciepies are as authentic as they can be and still appeal the a wide variety of palets. And she is a valley girl, which in Texas has a completely different meaning than California. My favorite of course are the McAllen Enchiladas, my city of birth.

The enchiladas Puebla are excellent, chicken enchiladas with a mole sauce, and the Morelia enchiladas are very authentic to what you get in northern Mexico, queso fresco(white crumbly cheese) and onions with a red chile sauce. If you browse the menu you will notice most of her dishes are named after towns in South Texas where she is from. All of her sauces are home made in the restaurand nothing from a can with a Sysco lable.

[url][/url]http://sylviasenchiladakitchen.com/

[url][/url]
                  http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/diningstory.mpl/dining/cook/3883633

joe

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                    RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Wed, 11/1/06 4:09 PM (permalink)
                    Papasito's is a chain, but quite good and the portions are huge. I like the Cadillac Bar for Tex-Mex in Houston - hope it's still there.

Texianjoe

RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Wed, 11/1/06 4:49 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Oneiron339

Papasito's is a chain, but quite good and the portions are huge. I like the Cadillac Bar for Tex-Mex in Houston - hope it's still there.

The Cadillac Bar now belongs to the Landrys chain. The original one on N. Shepherd is still there and they opened one at The Kemah Boardwalk. The Tex-Mex is not as good as it used to be but it is the only place in town to get grilled cabrito.

joe

cyrano

• Total Posts: 120
                        RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Wed, 11/1/06 8:58 PM (permalink)
                        Take the light rail into and through downtown and go to Irma's on Chenevert on the north side of downtown. A little idiosyncratic but very good. Go for lunch but expect a wait. I've never gone for dinner. Are they open for dinner?

Or better still, get a native who knows to take you on the Anonymous Tour of Houston, mostly Tex-Mex, starting at Last Concert Cafe, then to Club No Minors, and a nightcap at Marfreless.

Texianjoe

RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Thu, 11/2/06 8:41 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by cyrano

Take the light rail into and through downtown and go to Irma's on Chenevert on the north side of downtown. A little idiosyncratic but very good. Go for lunch but expect a wait. I've never gone for dinner. Are they open for dinner?

Or better still, get a native who knows to take you on the Anonymous Tour of Houston, mostly Tex-Mex, starting at Last Concert Cafe, then to Club No Minors, and a nightcap at Marfreless.

Irma's is not open for dinner. She only opens for lunch mostly for the downtown lunch crowd. She cooks from scratch several dishes and thats whats on the menu that day. When they run out thats it.

joe

teacup13

• Total Posts: 22
                            RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Thu, 01/25/07 4:42 AM (permalink)
                            or you could eat at Ruchis just down from the Reliant.. been eating there for about 6 years and my brother had been eating there longer... we stop there everytime we are at the livestock show..

http://www.ruchistaquerias.com/locations.htm

Niagara

• Total Posts: 983
                              RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Fri, 01/26/07 9:45 AM (permalink)
                              If you get out southwest, my favorite Mexican restaurant in Houston in Lopez in Stafford, just off the Southwest Freeway.

rkendrick

• Total Posts: 4
                                RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Mon, 08/27/07 11:21 PM (permalink)
                                I haven't lived in Houston for 13 years, but when I worked at KTRH at their old location in the Montrose district, there was a wonderful little hole-in-the-wall taqueria on Montrose Blvd. in a strip center on the east side of the street, located just north of Westheimer. Wish I could remember the name of it. Another similar place was in a strip center on the north side of Richmond just east of Gessner.

I second Pappasitos. Wish we had them here in Denver.

Texianjoe

RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Tue, 08/28/07 9:47 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by rkendrick

I haven't lived in Houston for 13 years, but when I worked at KTRH at their old location in the Montrose district, there was a wonderful little hole-in-the-wall taqueria on Montrose Blvd. in a strip center on the east side of the street, located just north of Westheimer. Wish I could remember the name of it. Another similar place was in a strip center on the north side of Richmond just east of Gessner.

I second Pappasitos. Wish we had them here in Denver.

I think it is still there. It is across the street from NIko-Nikos Greek Restaurant. I have not tried it but I go to Niko-Nikos a lot and remember seeing it.

joe

Big Kahuna Kooks

• Total Posts: 490
                                    RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Thu, 08/30/07 10:48 AM (permalink)
                                    Late night Texican: Two Pesos...cheap and you gotta love the condiment bar, sort of a taco bell meets fudruckers.

Up north at fm1960 and interstate was a great little place in a strip mall. you would see lotsa latinos dining there. no silverware matched, the plates we all different and served super hot, and the fajitas were incredible. the servers even came around asking if you needed more tortillas and pico...broke da mouth and truly missed.

bkk

Texianjoe

RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Thu, 08/30/07 1:10 PM (permalink)
                                      Two Pesos doesn't exist anymore. It was a spin off by employees of Taco Cabana. They had the same concept from menu to decor. Taco Cabana sued and won. All Two Pesos were either closed or taken over by Taco Cabana.

joe

Big Kahuna Kooks

RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Fri, 07/25/08 1:09 PM (permalink)
                                        T-JOPe; Is Champs and the chicken buffet chain still around?

Texianjoe

RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Sun, 07/27/08 12:44 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by Big Kahuna Kooks

T-JOPe; Is Champs and the chicken buffet chain still around?

If you mean the Champs that was similiar to Denneys or JoJos they are not in Houston anymore. I have not seen one in a long time. The chicken buffet, if you mean Hartz Chicken they are still going strong. It's one of the few places I can get my favorite, fried chicken livers and cream gravy for dipping.

joe

Big Kahuna Kooks

RE: Houston mexica Restaurants Tue, 08/12/08 5:05 PM (permalink)

TexJoe; Yes Hartz is the one. I too loved the fried livers except I smothered in Texas Pete hot sauce. Sorry to hear Champs left. Had many a late night after-club breakfast buffets there. Thanks for the info. BKK

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com