The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Good Restaurants on Maui

elcoraidercheer

• Total Posts: 21
Good Restaurants on Maui Sun, 07/13/03 7:39 PM (permalink)
My family and I will soon be venturing to the island of Maui. We are staying in Kihei, but traveling around the island. We have been to the island before, but have only settled on returning to two restaurants which we had previously had the pleasure of dinning(Stella Blues and Roy's). However we aren't sure where else we should eat. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!
Thank you,
Terra

meowzart

• Total Posts: 773
    RE: Good Restaurants on Maui Sun, 07/13/03 8:42 PM (permalink)
    Maui Tacos, for a chain, is really good. Also right across the street from the beach in Kihei is Alexander's Fish and Chips. It was great! Lots of great fresh fish that you order broiled or fried and stuck on top of french fries. You order at the counter, and then take outside. There are tables next to the place, but also across the street at the beach (Kalama?) park. Try the ono! Yum!! Right next to a funky shopping area, too.
    http://www.alexandersfishandchips.com/

For breakfast, also in Kihei, we were addicted to Cinnamon Roll Fair. Honey macadamia nut rolls with Kona coffee. Fantastic! Conviently located next down the way from a dive shop that rents snorkeling equipment by the week!
    http://www.cinnamonrollfairhawaii.com/

For upscale we loved Roy's (both of them!). That dark chocolate souffle is to die for!!!

Also, our favorite luau is the Old Lahaina Luau. Great fun, great location, great show, and the best part, great food!! Spend the extra for the hollowed out pineapple "cup". It's made for two, and filled to the brim with your favorite tropical drink! Ask for a "Tropical Itch" or a "Lava Flow." Free refills!! Be careful!!
    http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/index_main.html

One of our most memorable meals though was packing a lunch and eating in Haleakala crater. Amazing!!

Enjoy your trip!! I am envious!

Meowzart

Howard Baratz

• Total Posts: 445
      RE: Good Restaurants on Maui Sun, 07/13/03 9:47 PM (permalink)
      We are continual Maui returnees, so here are some of our favorite places to eat. We go every 2 years and there are always new places so please explore and report back.

The Upscale Restaurants (in no particular order)
      1) Hali'imaile General Store in Hali'imaile (heading upcountry)serves fantastic Hawaiian Regional Cuisine.
      2) Sansei in Kapalua for incredible, inventive sushi and cooked food.
      3) Joe's in Wailea for wonderful fish, steaks and ribs.
      4) Prince Court in the Maui Prince Hotel in Makena for the world's greatest Sunday Champagne Brunch Buffet. It's not cheap but it's a meal you will talk about for years.
      5) You already mentioned Roy's, which is one of favorites, so just make sure that you end your meal with the Chocolate Souffle with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream for dessert.

The more "Roadfood-y" restaurants:
      1) Alexander's Fish and Chips in Kihei. We order the Ono as our fish of choice and get the onion rings (they put sesame seeds in the batter for extra crunch and flavor) instead of the ordinary fries.
      2) Saigon Cafe in Wailuku for unbelievable Vietnamese food at very reasonable prices. This place is very hard to find but well worth the effort.
      3) Da Kitchen in Kihei for Hawaiian plate lunches. This Hawaiian version of the mainland meat and three features meat and a scoop (or two) of white rice and a scoop of macaroni (or potato) salad. The kalua pork is great.
      4) Aloha Mixed Plate in Lahaina also has great plate lunches and fine stir fried noodle dishes. You can eat your food oceanside at one of Aloha's picnic benches. The menu says something like "where the plate lunch meets the million dollar view".
      5) Southshore Grinds in Kihei has amazing salads, burgers, fish sandwiches and plate lunch specials. Upscale tastes in a totally casual setting for low prices.
      6) Charley's in Paia for huge Macadamia Nut Pancakes, unique omelettes and daily Eggs Benedict specials. Our favorite breakfast stop on the way to watching the windsurfing action at Ho'okipa.

Aloha!

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 577
        RE: Good Restaurants on Maui Mon, 07/14/03 7:25 AM (permalink)
        We honeymooned in Maui last November, and would certainly second Howard's nomination of Sansei in Kapalua. While we are both huge sushi fans...some of the other (cooked) seafood dishes looked very innovative. The menu is huge, but signature dishes are noted and the waitstaff are quite helpful. The public beach nearby is fantastic.

In Kaanapali, the fish and chips at the Hula Grill's waterfront (and more casual/less expensive) Barefoot Bar were outstanding. My wife's fruit plate was more exotic than any we had for breakfast elsewhere on the island---and it was more reasonably priced. (Still hungry---then go for dessert next door at Leilani's on the Beach---the signature hula pie, as big as your head, made with macadamia nut ice cream hits the spot).

Though you may not believe us (because I wouldn't have either), BJ's Chicago Pizza (in Lahania) was surprisingly delicious. It was rated among the top ten in the U. S. a few years back (Gourmet?).

The Old Lahania Luau was a good time! Two mai tais did me (a lightweight) in. I got up at dinner to use the bathroom and could not find my way back!!! The roasted pig smelled a bit like vaseline when they pulled it out of the ground, but tasted mighty good. For a buffet, the food was alright, though you couldn't beat the atmosphere! Ask for the traditional (floor) seating up front, it's more intimate.

Bulldozer Rectangle

• Total Posts: 102
          RE: Good Restaurants on Maui Mon, 07/14/03 8:10 AM (permalink)
          My wife and I honeymooned in Wailea last October. We liked burgers at the "Maui Onion" in the Renaissance Hotel so much we went twice. And the onion rings are panko crusted real maui onions. Good food, great views, and won't break the bank like other Maui restaurants. Seriously, the place is super expensive.

We also liked Mama's Fish House in Paia. Expensive, but worth it. I had a raw tuna appetizer with freshly made wasabi that still gives me shivers. $20, but worth every penny.

jpatweb

• Total Posts: 232
            RE: Good Restaurants on Maui Mon, 07/14/03 8:44 AM (permalink)
            I'll add David Paul's, in Lahaina, to the list of recommendations. Classy joint, no kitsch. As with most restaurants in Maui, prices are a little mind-bending, but what the heck.

elcoraidercheer

• Total Posts: 21
              RE: Good Restaurants on Maui Sat, 07/19/03 8:33 AM (permalink)
              Thank you for your suggestions everyone!!! I really appreciate it! We are going to try out a lot of the restaurants you suggested. I’ll tell you about my experiences in two weeks! We’re leaving tomorrow morning, I can’t wait!
              Thanks again,
              Terra

Hode

• Total Posts: 153
                RE: Good Restaurants on Maui Sat, 07/19/03 11:10 AM (permalink)
                Bulldozer i agree with both your choices Mama's fish house and the Maui Onion should not be missed.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com