The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!)

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
went on a steak rampage in NYC (pics, too!) Thu, 11/9/06 1:37 AM (permalink)
Hi from Ellen,
this past Monday, Nov. 6th, I took the bus into NYC for lunch.
Tried "Wolfgangs Steakhouse" (33rd Ave. and Park Ave)...
It was EXCELLENT!!! Sizzling steaks, on plates so hot that the waiter needs to dole it out to you on a separate plate. (aka "peter luger style",& pre-sliced) (the restaurant was started a few years back by a former Lugers headwaiter for 40 years, named, appropriately, Wolfgang.
Enough about that, you want to see the steak , right?!?

Well here it is!
Wolfgangs "steak for 2"

$78, (it's a porterhouse cut, 28 ounces of meat , plus the bone. add another $10 for the german potatoes.
well worth it!

this steak practically melted in my mouth!
look at the way it "glistens".

a perfect medium rare!

and I had another rampage last Monday, Oct 30th.
(a doubleheader!)
I tried Mark Joseph Steakhouse for lunch and Dylan Prime
for dinner.
Mark Joseph Steakhouse , ribeye, $38

It is located on Water St, in lower Manhattan by the South St. Seaport.
After experiencing Wolfgangs , I would recommend you just stick to Wolfgangs! (as I love their sizzling steaks, and I felt it was more tender and tastier) However, the french fries at Mark Joseph were some of the best I ever had in my life! (no sizzle at Ben and Jacks either, another Peter Luger offshoot I went to back in my Oct NYC report in MISC. )
My feelings were confirmed when I saw how busy Wolfgangs was for lunch , comparatively. Yet, my waiter Jose, was wonderful.

and then it was off to Dylan Prime for dinner. I was'nt even hungry, but I wanted to experience both restaurants.
Boy, this place was hard to find!! It was in the Tribeca section of NYC (Tribeca stands for "triangle below Canal St.") and the signage for the restaurant was basically non-existent, and very dark, except for a few Zagat restaurant reviews on their glass wall...
The first time, I just walked right past it!

I was their first customer in there at 5:30 pm, and nobody else showed up till I was paying my bill. It was the classic case of too many waiters, etc standing around, but yet no one rushing over to refill my water. (finally had to ask)

I had the porterhouse steak, which was around $40 if I remember correctly. Plus the potatoes, of course. (interesting mini baked potatoes in a creamy cheese sauce)

It was a tasty steak, tender in MOST, but not all parts. Not really remarkable enough to go out of your way for , though, IMO.
But if it is a dark, romantic, atmosphere you want, this place definitely has sexy vibes.

Dylan Prime , porterhouse steak

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com