The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Arepas

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
Arepas Sun, 11/12/06 6:55 PM (permalink)
Who has tried these Latin American (esp. Venezuelan) type sandwiches made of cornmeal? I get them in a sort of cubano/carib type coffee shop, Sucelt, on W. 14th St.in NYC

According to Topics online magazine, the most famous is "La reina pepiada," an arepa made with chopped meat, avocado and cheese. It is the most traditional arepa.

What do you think of them (addictive, no?)

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
    RE: Arepas Wed, 11/15/06 2:11 AM (permalink)
    Hey there,

I haven't tried the 14th Street place you went to, but I have been to Caracas Arepa Bar at 91 E 7th Street. I thought the arepa was excellent! The website has a great pic of the one I had: DE PABELLON. shredded beef, black beans, sweet plantains and aged cheese. Go to caracasarepabar.com. The only drawback for me was the wait. I went on my lunch hour from work and aited a while to get mine, but they were busy, so thats a good thing. The place is about the same size as some apartments I looked in Brooklyn a few years ago. Very tiny, but they really maximize on kitchen space, they have to. I would get it to go as I'm a big guy I like a little space to sprawl when I eat out. What I really like about the arepas there is that I believe they use white corn and the corncakes aren't sweet and sticky like those dreadful "mozz-arepa" things that turn up at every street fair like a bad penny. The Caracas ones are tasty, yet showcase they really good ingredients inside. I'll have to try the one on 14th street. Oh, if you're looking for good Mexican below 14th Street (yeah, I think I'll throw Indy the idol and he'll throw me the whip!), I hear a new cart called (Calexo?) on Prince at Wooster Street is supposed to have some killer lunch grub. They were a finalist in the Vendy Awards this year!

NYNM

RE: Arepas Wed, 11/15/06 11:33 AM (permalink)
      Hi Neighbor!!!!
      Just left Sucelt a few hours ago for my regular fix of "Spanish Coffee". Sucelt is quite the cult place. A little "hole in the wall" on 14th St just off 7th Ave. It had the makings of Roadfood. Neon sign in window says "Latin American Comida" and is run by some nice Spanish ladies (I think from DR), been there for years. (W. 14th St & area used to be a Spanish - ie) Spain area).

They have just a counter with about 10 seats, lots of takeout. Homemade food from PR, DP, Venezuela, Cuba, etc. Empanadas, Rice & Beans, Sopa, Cuban sandwiches, etc. real comfort food. Lots of regulars. I love it. Let me know when you try it!!

Thanks too for replying to Arepas which are fabulous. I'm surprised there haven't been more responses here. Maybe RF hasn't dicovered these tasty sandwich type things!!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17795
        RE: Arepas Wed, 11/15/06 11:53 AM (permalink)
        They sound good, but I've never heard of them before.

NYNM

RE: Arepas Wed, 11/15/06 1:07 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

They sound good, but I've never heard of them before.

My favorite is the cheese, wich is a sort of grilled cheese on cornmeal bread. I had one a few weeks ago and there was an Argentinian women next to me who ordered "The Angel and the Devil" (The angel = coffee with lowfat milk, the devil = cheese areapa! She said she made up the expression herself).

Some people have commented about street fair arepas, which they say are awful, but I'm talking about restaurant arepas, very good.

NYNM

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
              RE: Arepas Wed, 12/20/06 9:48 PM (permalink)
              <<Some people have commented about street fair arepas, which they say are awful, but I'm talking about restaurant arepas, very good.>

I tried a few arepas at a street fair in NYC, and I agree, they were nothing to write home about. I have to get to one of the noted places to try the real deal.

But here's a place that IMHO has the best Hispanic take out food I've ever had. I don't even know the name of it, but it is a hole in the wall on the west side of Clinton Street just north of Delancey. At work we call it Edgar's Place because a Puerto Rican guy I work with named Edgar makes a trip up there every few months from our office Downtown and we all chip in for a sh*tload of fried stuff. The "Meat Pies" (sorry, I don't know the actual name for them, they are not empanadas or Jamaican patties, they are more like torpedo shaped) are my single best greasy dish in all of Manhattan. --Ken

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com