The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The care and eating of Cubans...

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
The care and eating of Cubans... Fri, 03/7/03 11:42 PM (permalink)
All hail the Cuban, which is the sandwich of choice here in its native Tampa -- just ask Gruden and Piniella, who have been known to chomp down on this delightful 'wich. But please, only use authentic ingredients when assembling this nosh. Any substitutes will render it tasteless and sub-par. You must use real and fresh Cuban bread - no, not French or Italian bread, either. Please use quality Swiss cheese and good sliced ham and pork. Don't doll it up with fancy grained or honeyed mustards -- just stick to pedestrian yellow French's Mustard. Lay the bread & butter pickles slices on generously. Slice diagonally after heating (we hot press 'em here), or eat it room temp downed with a bottle of Hatuey. Oh, and one last thing: Lettuce, tomato, onion and/or ketchup are purely VERBOTEN. The beauty of this sandwich is its simplicity. Thanks -- or as we say in Ybor City, gracias -- for keeping the Cuban alive.

Michael Stern

RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Sat, 03/8/03 1:42 PM (permalink)
    I could live on that bread used in a real Cuban: warm and buttered in the morning with my con leche, wrapped around cheese, ham and pork at lunch, and to push through ropa vieja at suppertime!

Edwaste

• Total Posts: 168
      RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Sun, 03/9/03 11:39 AM (permalink)
      Seven Bros. in Key west was my favorite place for Cubans, and Cafe Con Leche

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
        RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Thu, 05/1/03 9:24 PM (permalink)
        Does anyone know of a place that will ship real Cuban bread on order? I agree that a Cuban sandwich can't taste perfect unless it's made on the real thing, but I've been unable to find the bread anywhere. Not traveling to South Florida anymore, I REALLY miss those.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
          RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Fri, 05/2/03 5:12 AM (permalink)
          After reading about the real thing, I had to come as close as I could at home, and what a hit! Everyone loved it.

JRShakula

• Total Posts: 6
            RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Sat, 05/10/03 1:14 AM (permalink)

Originally posted by Kristi Siegel

All hail the Cuban, which is the sandwich of choice here in its native Tampa --

First only by a nose to the ubiquitous Grouper sandwich. We Florida expatriates miss both of them deeply.

seafarer john

RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Sat, 05/10/03 9:18 AM (permalink)
              We were sitting at that sinuous counter in the famous Cuban sandwich place in Ybor city enjoying and commenting on the great food. My wife called the waitress over to compliment her on the food, the waitress said, "You don't have to tell me lady, I eat here every day"!

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
                RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Tue, 05/27/03 9:21 AM (permalink)
                I'm sure there are numerous places that deliver... In the meantime, why not try here?
                http://icuban.com/3guys/cubanbread.html

quote:
                Originally posted by Bushie

Does anyone know of a place that will ship real Cuban bread on order? I agree that a Cuban sandwich can't taste perfect unless it's made on the real thing, but I've been unable to find the bread anywhere. Not traveling to South Florida anymore, I REALLY miss those.

FlattedFifth

• Total Posts: 34
                  RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Thu, 07/3/03 3:24 PM (permalink)
                  There has to be a decent place to get cuban bread in NYC. Does anyone have a suggestion?

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Thu, 07/3/03 3:53 PM (permalink)
                    I think it's terrible that there's a topic about caring for and then eating Cubans. I think that any nationality of people should be cared for and not eaten. Oh...you mean cuban sandwiches. Never mind.
                    Miss Emily Litella

Sundancer7

RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Thu, 07/3/03 4:02 PM (permalink)
                      Cheesewit, Great Humour.

Paul E. Smith
                      Knoxville, TN

CheeseWit

• Roadfood Insider
                        RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Thu, 07/3/03 4:24 PM (permalink)
                        Thank you, Paul. Just getting a bit antsy for the holiday weekend to begin, so I thought I'd throw in some humor. I guess it also shows my age. Miss Emily Litella was a Gilda Radner character in the early (and best in my estimation) years of Saturday Night Live.

Sundancer7

RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Thu, 07/3/03 4:32 PM (permalink)
                          Cheesewit: Too bad she had to die of ovarian cancer?. She was great.

Paul E. Smith
                          knoxville, TN

CheeseWit

• Roadfood Insider
                            RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Thu, 07/3/03 4:33 PM (permalink)
                            Paul, it really is too bad. Yes, it was ovarian cancer that took her much too early. I enjoyed her work.
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Sundancer7

Cheesewit: Too bad she had to die of ovarian cancer?. She was great.

Paul E. Smith
                            knoxville, TN

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                              RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Thu, 07/3/03 4:44 PM (permalink)
                              It just goes to show ya....

CheeseWit

• Roadfood Insider
                                RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Thu, 07/3/03 4:56 PM (permalink)
                                ...that it's always somethin'. (another great character of Gilda's...RoseAnn Rosannadanna)

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3555
                                  RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Thu, 07/3/03 6:54 PM (permalink)
                                  Just don't start with the Bass-O-Matic!

kangolpimp

• Total Posts: 119
                                    RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Fri, 07/4/03 2:19 AM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by FlattedFifth

There has to be a decent place to get cuban bread in NYC. Does anyone have a suggestion?

If you can get to Spanish Harlem or Washington Heights, go into any grocery or bodega and look for a brand called La Esperanza. It comes in a white wax paper sack, like Italian or French bread, and is delivered very fresh.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                                      RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Sat, 02/26/05 5:21 AM (permalink)
                                      I was at Jungle Jim's yesterday. In addition to all the awesome stuff to be found there I found a case dedicated to frozen cuban sandwiches. It amazes me what is there.

Donna Douglass

• Total Posts: 508
                                        RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Sat, 02/26/05 7:34 AM (permalink)
                                        Thank you so much for the information about the frozen Cuban sandwiches at Jungle Jim's. We make a trip down there a couple or three times a year and each time I find new and exciting things, so now I know to look for the Cubans.

We have breakfast and lunch occasionally at the Starliner Diner in Hilliard and the gentleman who owns (and cooks for) the diner is Cuban and while all his food is fantastic, I love his Cuban sandwiches most of all.

Donna

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
                                          RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Sat, 02/26/05 9:50 AM (permalink)
                                          KRISTI S. my fellow Tampanian,has defined Exactly what a cuban sandwich is,no,must be. I would add that down here,there are many,tiny places that you wouldn't think would have any kind of prepared food(many are bodega's,more grocery stores than anything)but have 'great' sandwiches.
                                          BUSHIE...cuban bread does not travel well,you really have to get it 'fresh baked'. even when we buy it fresh,within 1/2day,it becomes rather chewy,etc
                                          PS,I wouldn't ask Grudin anything but I would buy him a drink as I made a few bucks(no pun intended)betting against his less-than-spectacular football team.

SouthHillbilly

• Total Posts: 295
                                            RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Sat, 02/26/05 10:38 AM (permalink)
                                            "The care and eating of Cubans..."

She was a bit temperamental, prone to fits of anger sometimes, but overall a kind gentle woman. I don't remember her needing any special care.

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                                              RE: The care and eating of Cubans... Sat, 02/26/05 4:38 PM (permalink)
                                              Working in Miami, I found that like Gary said you can find cuban sandwichs in place you wouldnt usually expect. Leaning on the truck bumper enjoying a warm sandwich and a bottle of cuban soda(when in rome..etc)while watching the local fauna pass.. There's unfortunatly no place nearby to get a cuban = ( Ybor city is only about 3 hours away so maybe a roadtrip is in order..

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                • No New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                • Read Message
                                                • Post New Thread
                                                • Reply to message
                                                • Post New Poll
                                                • Submit Vote
                                                • Post reward post
                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com