The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Brown's

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
Brown's Mon, 12/4/06 9:33 PM (permalink)
I used to love Brown's Chicken when I was a kid. The chicken there always had a fresh taste, and never seemed greasy like KFC. It wasn't quite as good as the fried chicken my mom made, but it had a similar flavor and texture.

I hadn't been to Brown's since probably 1993, but tonight, when my kids wanted to go to Wendy's in our hometown of Highland Park, IL., and there was a Brown's next door, I decided to take a chance. My wife and I both ordered breasts and wings and brought them over to Wendy's, along with biscuits. The kids ate Wendy's chicken nuggets and fries happily, while my wife and I tried the Brown's chicken.

I'd expected the place to have gone downhill in the last 13 years, because you see so few of them around these days. Luckily, I was wrong. It had the same fresh, good flavor I remembered, and wasn't the least bit greasy. The flavor of the chicken shined through, and the skin was so good I couldn't help myself from chewing on the bones.

Now I consider myself a pretty good judge of fried chicken. My mom made excellent fried chicken when I was a kid, I've made some of my own that tasted pretty good, and I've eaten at places like Stroud's in Kansas City and Mary Mac's Tea Room in Atlanta, which in my book are the best around. I'm not going to say Brown's was on the same level as those. But when compared with other fast food fried chicken, it was in another league altogether.

And another thing - the biscuits also tasted good. No fake butter flavor.

Anyone else tried Brown's lately?

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
    RE: Brown's Tue, 12/5/06 9:37 AM (permalink)
    I can't remember for sure but I think Brown's might've made a foray into the Rockford area in the late '70s or early '80s. I would eat there occasionally when I lived in the Chicago area and *always* got a side order (or two) of mushrooms with my chicken.

Sounds like it's still pretty much the same. It was always identifiable as Brown's and not easily confused with someone else's chicken.

Brad

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
      RE: Brown's Tue, 12/5/06 10:22 AM (permalink)
      There is a Brown's in Aurora that shares the space with a Mexican place called Tiawanna's. They have seperate kitchens but the rest is open and although they don't encourage it, you can easily order from each or the other as my work friends enjoy for lunch. The Mexican food is very good despite the name but every now and then, I enjoy the Brown's side and especially the breaded mushrooms.

fdaniels

• Total Posts: 84
        RE: Brown's Tue, 12/5/06 11:00 AM (permalink)
        Living down herein North Carolina now, I sure do miss Browns. I will be heading up home for 2 days for Xmas, looking forward to haveing Browns, some Italian beef and Vienna Hot Dogs! Oh, and a Holiday meal with my family.

Tdybr27

• Total Posts: 92
          RE: Brown's Wed, 12/6/06 8:40 PM (permalink)
          Browns used to have a location in Overland Park KS, we ate there from time to time... I don't remember much about it but I do remember I liked it.

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
            RE: Brown's Thu, 12/7/06 7:16 PM (permalink)
            The Browns across the street from my old office in Chicago served beer and wine....and gizzards. Great fries, cooked in the same oil as the chicken I think. They also sold cold chicken from the previuous day. Not a big fast food eater,but I liked Browns.

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
              RE: Brown's Thu, 12/7/06 8:18 PM (permalink)
              I like Brown's chicken livers.Always cooked to order.

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
                RE: Brown's Fri, 12/8/06 3:34 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Cosmos

The Browns across the street from my old office in Chicago served beer and wine....and gizzards. Great fries, cooked in the same oil as the chicken I think. They also sold cold chicken from the previuous day. Not a big fast food eater,but I liked Browns.

Same here - I don't like fast food, generally. But when it's this good, you've got to give them credit.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3219
                  RE: Brown's Fri, 12/8/06 4:58 PM (permalink)
                  Brown's is owned by Frank Portillo, brother of Dick Portillo, the Chicago hot dog king. www.brownschicken.com

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com