The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Brown's

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
Brown's Mon, 12/4/06 9:33 PM (permalink)
I used to love Brown's Chicken when I was a kid. The chicken there always had a fresh taste, and never seemed greasy like KFC. It wasn't quite as good as the fried chicken my mom made, but it had a similar flavor and texture.

I hadn't been to Brown's since probably 1993, but tonight, when my kids wanted to go to Wendy's in our hometown of Highland Park, IL., and there was a Brown's next door, I decided to take a chance. My wife and I both ordered breasts and wings and brought them over to Wendy's, along with biscuits. The kids ate Wendy's chicken nuggets and fries happily, while my wife and I tried the Brown's chicken.

I'd expected the place to have gone downhill in the last 13 years, because you see so few of them around these days. Luckily, I was wrong. It had the same fresh, good flavor I remembered, and wasn't the least bit greasy. The flavor of the chicken shined through, and the skin was so good I couldn't help myself from chewing on the bones.

Now I consider myself a pretty good judge of fried chicken. My mom made excellent fried chicken when I was a kid, I've made some of my own that tasted pretty good, and I've eaten at places like Stroud's in Kansas City and Mary Mac's Tea Room in Atlanta, which in my book are the best around. I'm not going to say Brown's was on the same level as those. But when compared with other fast food fried chicken, it was in another league altogether.

And another thing - the biscuits also tasted good. No fake butter flavor.

Anyone else tried Brown's lately?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com