Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Green Chile Cheeseburgers

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 58 of 58
NMBullRdr

• Total Posts: 38
RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Tue, 07/24/07 4:43 PM (permalink)
Two stories.

One, I am a transplanted Texan living in New Mexico. In West Texas, we liked to grill our burgers on those 55 gallon drums cut in half using mesquite wood. At the last minute or two, we would slather both sides with a little BBQ sauce. I remember the first time I ordered a cheeseburger after we move from Texas to New Mexico. The girl asked, "would you like chile on that"? I must have gave her a funny look, but I was also thinking and you have to remember I am from Texas and love a good Texas Red, but I envisioned a cheeseburger with some Wolf Brand Chili on the top!

Being a cowboy, we head to Vegas for the National Finals Rodeo during December. My partner has a timeshare at the Polo Towers and we frequent FatBurger. The first year we ordered our burgers and asked, "do you have green chile for the burger"? The answer was Si! We received our burgers and low and behold, chopped jalepenos!

I always wondered why the other states do not use green chile? Was at Disneyland (or insert your favorite place) and wondered why they did not serve it with green chile. For twenty five cents it would take an ordinary burger and elevate it to another level.

Now frozen chile is a good thing. We can enjoy it year round. If you check into the kitchens of your favs, you will find them peeling whole green chiles from the Autumn harvest. These are far superior to the mass produced frozen retail version.

Long live the chile!

PS, just read that article about Dick's Truck Stop in Las Cruces. As an Aggie, I would have to give a big vote for a Dick Burger! This GCC is HUGE! Probably twice as big as you will find throughout New Mexico and with really good Hatch green chile. And while we are in Las Cruces, check out La Cocina. They make their taco and burrito meat with beef, green chile, and potatoes. This combination makes the perfect taco!

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Tue, 07/24/07 7:55 PM (permalink)
    ooooooo Great to have this topic revived.

Maybe not the "best" but my daughter's favorite GCCB is from Bode's Store in Abiquiui - and I love the view

Bert's Burger Bowl in SF has a mean GCCB too.

ncmike1

• Total Posts: 16
      RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Tue, 07/31/07 11:42 AM (permalink)
      Ahh. GCC's. I lived in Santa Fe for twenty years, and other than green chile stew, gcc's are my favorite easy food.
      I don't care where you get 'em Bobcat Bite (which was a favorite)or Blake's Lotaburger, gcc's are great anywhere (as long as it's New Mexico chiles).
      I STILL get that NM chile craving.
      I order green chile sauce from Ol' Gringo Chile Co. in Las Cruces:
      http://www.olgringo.com/products.php?num=2
      That's about as close as I can get here in North Carolina.

cunnm2010

• Total Posts: 14
        RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Wed, 08/1/07 2:08 PM (permalink)
        I've never really seen GCCB outside of New Mexico, I think the rest of the country is really missing out! But then again it gives me something to drool about when anticipating my next trip to NM. I've had the GCCB at the Owl Cafe and the Bobcat Bite, and I prefer the Bobcat Bite, my waistline hasn't been the same since. On my next trip to NM (early summer of 2008) I plan on eating at the Outpost Bar and Grill in Carrizozo, which I've read makes a pretty decent GCCB. Anybody have a recipe to make them at home? I've made them at home using a recipe of Bobby Flay's but it just doesn't compare. I'd like to find a recipe where the cheese and chiles are melted together. Dreaming of NM!!

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
          RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Thu, 08/2/07 9:43 AM (permalink)

I will be visiting a local haunt in Scottsdale, AZ today called the Carlsbad Tavern. One of my favs for very good NM food, including a Green Chile Cheeseburger, my target for today.

Will take pics and report.

DD

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
            RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Thu, 08/2/07 5:07 PM (permalink)
            I have questions???

Do the best GCCB's use monterey jack cheese or?

Are the green chiles melted in w/ the cheese or just put on seperatly or?

I plan to try to makeing some at home. I am no where near a place to go buy one.
            Thanks,
            Joe

ncmike1

• Total Posts: 16
              RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Fri, 08/3/07 1:04 PM (permalink)
              I know being new here, I'm just a junior burger, but could I be a junior green chile cheese burger? LOL

cunnm2010

RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Fri, 08/3/07 2:09 PM (permalink)
                Was watching the Food Network today and Bobby Flay was in Santa Fe NM grilling up some GCCB with the chef from La Casa Sena restaurant. They seasoned the meat with salt and pepper only, grilled the meat and added a slice of Queso Asadero cheese on top (it was quite a thick slice.) They let it melt slightly and then added the green chile sauce right on top. The cheese and green chile's melted beautifully together. I am going to try this next time I make them! The green chile sauce seemed very basic. They roasted some green chiles, then peeled and seeded them, chopped them up, put some of the chiles in food processor with some onions they grilled, blended till smooth and then added some more of the chopped chiles to make the sauce a little chunky. It all looked soooo good! Can't wait till my next trip to NM.

PapaJoe8

RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Fri, 08/3/07 2:29 PM (permalink)
                  Mike, thats fine w/ me. :~)

Cunnan, the Queso cheese sounds great! The onions sound good also. The frozen and canned green chiles I have used are real tenter and would not even need to be chopped.

Did the great GCCB's you Roadfooders have had use onions and mexican cheese? Or....?
                  Joe

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
                    RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Fri, 08/3/07 3:06 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Mike, thats fine w/ me. :~)

Cunnan, the Queso cheese sounds great! The onions sound good also. The frozen and canned green chiles I have used are real tenter and would not even need to be chopped.

Did the great GCCB's you Roadfooders have had use onions and mexican cheese? Or....?
                    Joe

Onions? Never a one. I haven't seen that as an ordering option. Nor for that matter, mexican cheese. It's always American cheese.

ayersian

RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Fri, 08/3/07 3:19 PM (permalink)
                      Our recent trip to NM was merely a cover for finding the best GCCB in the state. We tried Blake's Lotaburger, Bert's Burger Bowl, Owl Bar, and Dave's Not Here, and our hands-down fave was Owl Bar in San Antonio. As I was telling our family in NM, Owl seasons the meat before cooking with special spices (garlic? something else savory?). As I picked up the burger to take the first bite, a loose piece of unadorned meat fell off, so I popped it in my mouth. It was definitely spiced -- maybe a pre-grill marinade of some sort? Whatever it was, the taste memory stayed with me for two weeks, being compared to every other GCCB we had. Owl Bar is glorious -- not to forget that we ate burgers at 8 a.m.!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
                        RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Fri, 08/3/07 3:39 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by desertdog

I will be visiting a local haunt in Scottsdale, AZ today called the Carlsbad Tavern. One of my favs for very good NM food, including a Green Chile Cheeseburger, my target for today.

DD

Hey DD. The East Valley Tribune had an article today about Carlsbad Tavern featuring their Habenero Burger. Give it a try.
                        The burger is made by mixing crushed habanero peppers (considered the world’s hottest pepper, roughly 60 times hotter than a jalapeño or chipotle) with lean ground beef. After grilling, it’s topped with jalapeño cheese.

This potent patty comes with a FREE glass of milk, just about the only thing that’ll dampen the flames a little. (Whatever you do, our server says, don’t drink water or soda if your mouth is burning. It only spreads the habanero oils.)
                        Give it a shot.

HotDogHead

• Total Posts: 665
                          RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Fri, 08/3/07 4:28 PM (permalink)
                          Blake’s Lotaburger, hands down! Their website is below and the reviews speak for themselves. I may have to take a trip to NM just for one of their GCCB.

http://www.lotaburger.com/index.php

http://albuquerque.citysearch.com/review/6929474

http://search.cityguide.aol.com/albuquerque/restaurants/blakes-lotaburger/v-101985270

PapaJoe8

RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Fri, 08/3/07 4:49 PM (permalink)
                            HDH, I'm sold on Blakes after reading the reviews. Can you give us the details of what causes this burger make the list of great GCCB's?
                            Joe

HotDogHead

RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Fri, 08/3/07 5:28 PM (permalink)
                              quote:

HDH, I'm sold on Blakes after reading the reviews. Can you give us the details of what causes this burger make the list of great GCCB's?
                              Joe

The chili is from locally roasted green chilis. Their food is always fresh. The combination of the chilis and cheese (I order mine with onions) is delicious. I prefer thinner burger patties, which theirs are. Order a double if you want the extra meat. The meat is lean but is juicy enough to meld with the condiments.

Their fries are perfectly cooked and seasoned. I would also recommend washing it down with a cherry shake. Granted they are a regional chain, their food quality is always consistent no matter which location you go to. That says a lot about their quality assurance policies. Also, your buck goes a long way for this delicious meal.

I have to say, theirs is one of the best cheeseburgers I’ve had anywhere!

PapaJoe8

RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Fri, 08/3/07 6:13 PM (permalink)
                                Thanks HDH! I hate to be a pest but I have 2 more questions. What kind of cheese do they use? And, is it mixed w/ tha chiles?
                                Joe

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
                                  RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Fri, 08/3/07 6:16 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:

DD

Hey DD. The East Valley Tribune had an article today about Carlsbad Tavern featuring their Habenero Burger. Give it a try.
                                  The burger is made by mixing crushed habanero peppers (considered the world’s hottest pepper, roughly 60 times hotter than a jalapeño or chipotle) with lean ground beef. After grilling, it’s topped with jalapeño cheese.

This potent patty comes with a FREE glass of milk, just about the only thing that’ll dampen the flames a little. (Whatever you do, our server says, don’t drink water or soda if your mouth is burning. It only spreads the habanero oils.)
                                  Give it a shot.

I'll have to get the Habanero Burger next time, missed your post till after my visit.

I did get the Green Chile Cheeseburger, and have to say it was wonderful. Smothered in diced green chile sauce and a combination of Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses, this sandwich is served open-faced on toasted sourdough bread. I added nothing to it; it needed no help.

Normally, I nearly always order the Roswell Reuben when I go there for lunch. Thinly sliced pastrami with spicy marinated red cabbage, spicy thousand island dressing and jalapeño jack cheese, on grilled rye.

Check out their full menu at: http://www.carlsbadtavern.com/

Maybe we should have a Phoenix meet-up there sometime next week. Foodbme, you in?

DD

cunnm2010

RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Fri, 08/3/07 8:16 PM (permalink)
                                    Desert Dog I've been waiting patiently for your review of the GCCB, it looks amazing. I'll be in PHX in mid September, I'll have to check that place out, thanks! I agree that burger looks like it doesn't need anything else.

P.S. Good luck with the habanero burger!

HotDogHead

RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Wed, 08/8/07 5:00 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:

Thanks HDH! I hate to be a pest but I have 2 more questions. What kind of cheese do they use? And, is it mixed w/ tha chiles?
                                      Joe

You're not being a pest at all. It's good old American. The chiles are underneath the melted cheese so it becomes somewhat mixed.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
                                        RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Wed, 08/8/07 5:13 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:

DD

Give it a shot.

The Desert Dog & I are meeting at the Carlsbad Tavern in Scottsdale AZ on Friday. We may tackle a Habanero Burger. I'm sure the Dogmeister will provide a blow by blow pictorial of two dudes attempting to set their gastro-intestinal organs on fire!

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
                                          RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Wed, 08/8/07 5:22 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by ncmike1

Ahh. GCC's. I lived in Santa Fe for twenty years, and other than green chile stew, gcc's are my favorite easy food.
                                          I don't care where you get 'em Bobcat Bite (which was a favorite)or Blake's Lotaburger, gcc's are great anywhere (as long as it's New Mexico chiles).
                                          I STILL get that NM chile craving.
                                          I order green chile sauce from Ol' Gringo Chile Co. in Las Cruces:
                                          http://www.olgringo.com/products.php?num=2
                                          That's about as close as I can get here in North Carolina.

Old Gringo is really good, but '505' is a little better IMO.
                                          http://www.505chile.com/locator/list/state/NC/

PapaJoe8

RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Wed, 08/8/07 5:38 PM (permalink)
                                            Thanks yall! Now I'm ready to open my can of Ortega fire roasted green chiles and make some burgers. I usually get frozen chiles. This will be my 1st try of this brand.
                                            Joe

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                                              • Location: New York, NY/Santa Fe, NM
                                              RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Wed, 08/8/07 6:28 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by HotDogHead

Blake’s Lotaburger, hands down! Their website is below and the reviews speak for themselves. I may have to take a trip to NM just for one of their GCCB.

http://www.lotaburger.com/index.php

http://albuquerque.citysearch.com/review/6929474

http://search.cityguide.aol.com/albuquerque/restaurants/blakes-lotaburger/v-101985270

We do like Lotaburger, but it is more a "chain" to us - like a burger "patty" with green chile. I like more the "homemade" kind (Dave's Not Here, for example, a place in SF). I'm glad to know that Lotaburger tho is easily available - I think SF has 3 or 4 branches, and there are others in and from ABQ.

EatingTheRoad

• Total Posts: 1205
                                                RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Wed, 12/2/09 8:55 AM (permalink)
                                                Here's a great video from the New Mexico Tourism Board on green chile burgers. It features Bobcat Bite's Don Cowell talking about them and Owl Bar & Cafe's Rowena Boca talking about how her father created the burger. It also has the Buckhorn Tavern's Bobby Olguin beating Bobby Flay on Throwdown and the Double Eagle Restaurant's Jerry Harrell talking about his monstrous green chile cheese burger (the World's largest).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3DeyrD02eo

EatingTheRoad

RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Mon, 12/7/09 7:02 PM (permalink)
                                                  Here's an amazingly thorough interactive map of green chili burgers in New Mexico:
                                                  http://www.newmexico.org/...r/cheeseburger_map.php

EatingTheRoad

RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Thu, 12/10/09 12:20 PM (permalink)
                                                    A Hamburger Today has a post today of Bill and Cheryl Jamison's (four-time James Beard award–winning authors of more than ten cookbooks)Top 5 green chile burgers:
                                                    http://aht.seriouseats.co...rs-in-santa-fe-nm.html

Bobcat Bite
                                                    Bert's Burger Bowl
                                                    Atrisco Cafe
                                                    Tune-up Cafe
                                                    Rio Chama Steakhouse

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
                                                      • Location: Saint Charles, MO
                                                      RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Thu, 12/10/09 12:24 PM (permalink)
                                                      I have to say other that what I've tried to approximate at home, never had one in New Mexico.

That's on the bucket list of places to visit; especially Santa Fe.

EatingTheRoad

• Location: Santa Fe, NM
                                                        RE: Green Chile Cheeseburgers Thu, 12/10/09 12:30 PM (permalink)
                                                        In my opinion they cannot be replicated outside of NM...least I've never seen it done successfully.

....like a Horseshoe outside of Springfield, IL.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                          Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 58 of 58

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com