The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Soffritto (aka Soufritte)

CuzinVinny

• Total Posts: 50
Soffritto (aka Soufritte) Tue, 12/19/06 4:07 PM (permalink)
I'm desperately looking to find a recipe for Soufritte, that ancient dish of offal stewed in tomato sauce. So far I have only one recipe using beef heart, but I am looking to expand my recipe variations. This dish, along with trippa seems to have fallen into a subcategory of Italian cuisine that most do not make anymore. I have been dying for some of the old classics lately and wish to enjoy this dish again. I would appreciate any helpful advice. Thanks!!!!

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
    RE: Soffritto (aka Soufritte) Wed, 12/20/06 10:45 AM (permalink)
    I'm not sure I'd call this an old classic dish. It's a pesants style meal, when to feed a family they used all the parts of an animial. you may be able to find the recipe at www.italianfoodforever.com but to find the ingreadiants your going to hard pressed. I also don't think you would find any native Italian that would enjoy this dish today. I still have tripe on occasion, it's served in many local taverns on Saturdays in my area. Chow Jim

CuzinVinny

RE: Soffritto (aka Soufritte) Wed, 12/20/06 2:23 PM (permalink)
      There is actually a very old restaurant on Atwells Ave in Providence, RI called "Angelo's Civita-Farnese", named after the Roman province where the owners had hailed from. Tripe was featured there as well.
      Thanks for the input!!! Buon Natale!!!

-CuzinVinny-

Ciaoman

• Total Posts: 375
        RE: Soffritto (aka Soufritte) Thu, 12/21/06 8:18 AM (permalink)
        Cuz, it's my understanding that there is still a big interest in offal-based dishes in the region of Lazio (especially in Roman cuisine). There are still restaurants in Rome (typically trattorie, not ristoranti) where they offer dishes featuring oxtail ("Coda alla Vaccinara"), sweetbreads, intestines. etc. Perhaps a look at Roman food will yield info about Soffritto.

CuzinVinny

RE: Soffritto (aka Soufritte) Thu, 12/21/06 5:53 PM (permalink)
          Very true, Ciaoman. Offal is still a regular feature in Roman trattorie. In David Downie's book "Cooking the Roman Way", he divulges the names of a few recipes not found in the book in order to suit American tastes. This is also because most of not all of the ingredients are to be found in the U.S., such as cock's combs, spleen, testicles, etc. I have reason to believe that calf spleen may still be supplied by a few butchers in Manhattan or Brooklyn, since one or two places feature it on their menu. It can be found in Sicilian focaccerie under the name "vastedda", a sandwich made with boiled and fried (or stewed) veal spleen topped with ricotta and caciocavallo on a semolina roll. I am uncertain as whether or not the USDA placed a ban on promotion of sales, though I here it can be found in a numeral few antique places.
          The same goes for ingredients like cock's combs, though I'm sure I may be able to find them in an Oriental grocery. Even testicles have been known to pop up in butcher's stores, though not an item featured exclusively.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com