Suburpia - More than memories

Author
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2635
2006/12/22 18:56:36 (permalink)

Suburpia - More than memories

Suburpia was the only sub shop I knew growing up. The chain went out of business sometime after I left Madison. Why does an excellent chain like this die, while all the mediocre sub chains flourish (rhetorical question - the answer is in my link)?

Suburpia is back in business in the Milwaukee suburbs (not a pun) and the sandwichs are fantastic, just as I remember. My wife and kids never ate at Suburpia before and are now devoted fans, too.

We went again for lunch today, it is a completely different experience. You have a few choices for sandwichs and there are no ingredients to add - I half expect the Sub Nazi to throw me out if I order wrong. The subs are made behind a wall (in something called a "kitchen") and pop out through a hole in the wall. The bread at Suburpia is superior - it tastes something like Italian bread, but with the texture of a brat bun. They also load on the meat - so unlike the chains - and have great seasoned dressings poured on. If you haven't ate there, you won't understand.

Are there any other Suburpia fans here?
Here's a secret - the Waukesha shop (near Silvernail) is seldom crowded, unlike reports from the Tosa location.

http://www.onwisconsin.com/dining/dining.asp?id=3667

42 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1