The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Zaharako's, Columbus,Indiana

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
  • Roadfood Insider
Zaharako's, Columbus,Indiana Sun, 12/24/06 7:23 PM (permalink)
We received this note about an old, departed Roadfood favorite in Indiana, from Terry Snyder of Columbus, Indiana:

"The future of Zaharako's is up for grabs. They sold the organ at the beginning of 2006 due to having trouble finding parts and repairs. They had plans to buy another organ, but before they did the lone Zaharako running it passed on (around mid-2006 or a little later). He had been going down for some time and so did the place as some other people have mentioned (particularly in the past couple of years). At one time his mom, brother, and others in the family all worked there. Death, health and family commitments took their toll until Lew was the only one left. He had trouble keeping help and was not really able to keep up like even he wanted to. It was sad to see it waste away before my eyes. Yes, sometimes the chips were stale and the sandwiches were not as good as they once were. They had to quit selling candy because they couldn't keep up with it all. The drinks were not always available as they once had been.

Some years back the Chees Br-Grs, Coney Burgers (hotdog with the meat sauce from the chees Br-Grs with melted cheese on top), and drinks, including orangeades (which were freshly squeezed oranges, pretty finely crushed ice and sugar) were really great. I hope something is done with it, but Lew had said it was not for sale before he got more sick. Am not sure what the family intends to do with it now. Will update here if things change, but don't come now because it is closed down.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com