In-A-Tub Tacos

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Joined: 2006/05/24 19:03:00
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
  • Status: offline
2007/01/04 17:38:39 (permalink)

In-A-Tub Tacos

Is there anyone out there that has had In-A-Tub tacos besides me? I remember getting them in Kansas City during my younger/crazier days. Greasy as hell, but in a good way.
#1

51 Replies Related Threads

    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    • Joined: 2006/01/13 11:23:00
    • Location: Dallas... DFW area
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/04 19:14:36 (permalink)
    What were they like Dog? Maybe we can make our own?
    Joe
    #2
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    • Joined: 2006/05/24 19:03:00
    • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/05 14:18:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

    What were they like Dog? Maybe we can make our own?
    Joe


    I found a review on the place, and it seems to still be there. Reading the reviews now I know why they were so greasy. They actually put the meat (and powdered cheese?) into the shell, then deep fried them. May not sound too appealling, but my tastebuds remember that they were very good!

    Here's the link to the review/comments:

    http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-2828840-prod-travelguide-action-read-ratings_and_reviews-i;_ylt=AtijNihfvjNAG3Wt8joSHbWGFmoL
    #3
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4587
    • Joined: 2000/11/20 16:52:00
    • Location: Rogue Valley
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/05 14:28:13 (permalink)
    http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=502
    What time did you spend in KC, DD?
    In a Tub is still on N. Oak Trafficway, I believe. Zaatar?
    #4
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    • Joined: 2006/01/13 11:23:00
    • Location: Dallas... DFW area
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/05 15:13:33 (permalink)
    I read the reviews Dog. sounds like most folks love those tuby's. A mention was made about the great sauce, any input?

    Bill, good info at the other thread, thanks. The ones kinda like tub's from Austin sould awsome. Not a bad sounding recipe for fried tacos on that thread.

    It sounds like JNB maybe got their idea from the In-A-Tub place, maybe? Or, maybe it was an old style taco that almost went extinct.
    Joe
    #5
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4587
    • Joined: 2000/11/20 16:52:00
    • Location: Rogue Valley
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/05 15:30:18 (permalink)
    Joe, it seems to be a plains state thing, including adding peas in several locales.
    #6
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    • Joined: 2006/01/13 11:23:00
    • Location: Dallas... DFW area
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/05 16:53:48 (permalink)
    Bill, it sounds like the "old fshioned tacos" from Nuevo Leon in Austin, that Bushie mentioned on the other thread, were kinda like the Tub's. Sounds like this type of taco is more popular in the plains states though. But, Jack In The Box must have gotten their idea from somewhere years ago, and now they are popular almost everywhere. Maybe not as good but real popular. I always wish JnB's had more, and beefier, stuff in them.

    I'm going to try making them fried in olive or canola oil. Then they will be healthy food, well maybe healthy er.
    Joe
    #7
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    • Joined: 2006/05/24 19:03:00
    • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/05 23:48:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

    http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=502
    What time did you spend in KC, DD?
    In a Tub is still on N. Oak Trafficway, I believe. Zaatar?



    Hey, Bill. I lived in Mission during the mid-80's. My brother lived up in Liberty at that time and he used to go to In-A Tub quite often, that's how I remember the place. Haven't had them since. Every time I'm back in KC, it's usually Haywards, Stroud's and Bo-Ling's on the top of my list.

    Next time I'm back I'll e sure to make a trip up to the Tub, camera in hand, of course.
    #8
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4587
    • Joined: 2000/11/20 16:52:00
    • Location: Rogue Valley
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/06 10:16:52 (permalink)
    Pretty funny DD. One of the incarnations of my used Record Store was in Mission as I'm a Roeland Park and Shawnee Mission North guy.
    My lifelong friend and fellow Missionite Ricky is a damn good Photographer
    who's lived down your way since the 80's.
    http://rickodellphoto.com/
    Arizona Highways: Gateway to an Inspiring Land
    ...The tradition of those photographers continues today with the superb photographic work of people like Jack Dykinga, Nick Berezenko, George Stocking, Tom Danielsen, Willard Clay, Larry Ulrich, Rick Danley, Kerrick James, Gary Ladd, Edward McCain, Robert McDonald, Chuck Lawsen, Randy Prentice, Laurence Parent, Bernadette Heath, Peter Nobles, Larry Lindhal, Rick Odell, Tom Till, Don Stevenson, George H. H. Huey, Jerry Sieve, David Elms, David Smith and dozens more
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    As far as the Ozarks, my sister and Brother in Law own about 1/2 of Billings, not far from Nixa. His whole family have farmed that area for a 100 years.
    #9
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    • Joined: 2004/04/05 15:08:00
    • Location: kansas city, MO
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/06 11:50:19 (permalink)
    In-A-Tub is still on North Oak, and there may be another one still in Riverside. My sister lives 3 minutes from the one on North Oak. Too close, my sister says! They taste pretty much the same as when I was in Junior High. A good friend of mine's mother worked there for 25 years, back when they were on the other side of the street.

    Pocket Burgers are still a popular item. When I didn't eat meat I always got cheese tacos. They would put what tasted like a mild cheddar, probably processed, with all the other stuff, and deep fry them. They weren't as oily as it sounds.

    I must admit, I haven't had anything other than a diet soda from them for years. My sister and I, when driving by, avert our eyes at the proper moment.
    #10
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    • Joined: 2006/05/24 19:03:00
    • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/06 15:16:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

    Pretty funny DD. One of the incarnations of my used Record Store was in Mission as I'm a Roeland Park and Shawnee Mission North guy.
    My lifelong friend and fellow Missionite Ricky is a damn good Photographer
    who's lived down your way since the 80's.
    http://rickodellphoto.com/
    Arizona Highways: Gateway to an Inspiring Land
    ...The tradition of those photographers continues today with the superb photographic work of people like Jack Dykinga, Nick Berezenko, George Stocking, Tom Danielsen, Willard Clay, Larry Ulrich, Rick Danley, Kerrick James, Gary Ladd, Edward McCain, Robert McDonald, Chuck Lawsen, Randy Prentice, Laurence Parent, Bernadette Heath, Peter Nobles, Larry Lindhal, Rick Odell, Tom Till, Don Stevenson, George H. H. Huey, Jerry Sieve, David Elms, David Smith and dozens more
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    As far as the Ozarks, my sister and Brother in Law own about 1/2 of Billings, not far from Nixa. His whole family have farmed that area for a 100 years.


    Looks like I keep following you around Bill. Wonder if this means I'll end up in Oregon one day!

    Something also a bit funny, my Great Grandmother and her parents came over to the states from Voss, Norway back in the 1890's. I have all the info on where their farm is/was, plan on getting over there sometime. Suppposed to be a beautiful area.
    #11
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4587
    • Joined: 2000/11/20 16:52:00
    • Location: Rogue Valley
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/07 00:21:10 (permalink)
    Voss is the Ashland of Norway.
    #12
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    • Joined: 2006/05/24 19:03:00
    • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/07 02:05:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

    Voss is the Ashland of Norway.


    Then it'll definitely be worth the trip! Ashland sounds like a nice place....not that I'm planning on moving there or anything.

    Bill, what do you know about this wine? We had it tonight with dinner, really liked it. Are you familiar with the producer?

    #13
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    • Joined: 2006/05/24 19:03:00
    • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/07 09:59:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by zataar

    In-A-Tub is still on North Oak, and there may be another one still in Riverside. My sister lives 3 minutes from the one on North Oak. Too close, my sister says! They taste pretty much the same as when I was in Junior High. A good friend of mine's mother worked there for 25 years, back when they were on the other side of the street.

    Pocket Burgers are still a popular item. When I didn't eat meat I always got cheese tacos. They would put what tasted like a mild cheddar, probably processed, with all the other stuff, and deep fry them. They weren't as oily as it sounds.

    I must admit, I haven't had anything other than a diet soda from them for years. My sister and I, when driving by, avert our eyes at the proper moment.



    Hey Zataar, Why don't you do a little "recon" for us? Maybe nab a pic or two...
    #14
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    • Joined: 2006/01/13 11:23:00
    • Location: Dallas... DFW area
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/07 11:08:58 (permalink)
    And, whats a pocket burger? Kinda like a slider?
    Joe
    #15
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    • Joined: 2004/04/05 15:08:00
    • Location: kansas city, MO
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/07 12:06:16 (permalink)
    A pocket burger is more loosemeat than slider. It's texture is similar to Nu-ways but the flavor is different. I'll see what I can do about getting some photos of tacos posted soon.
    #16
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    • Joined: 2006/05/24 19:03:00
    • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/07 12:11:35 (permalink)
    Cool. Thanks, Zataar!
    #17
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    • Joined: 2006/05/24 19:03:00
    • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/17 08:23:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

    Bill, it sounds like the "old fshioned tacos" from Nuevo Leon in Austin, that Bushie mentioned on the other thread, were kinda like the Tub's. Sounds like this type of taco is more popular in the plains states though. But, Jack In The Box must have gotten their idea from somewhere years ago, and now they are popular almost everywhere. Maybe not as good but real popular. I always wish JnB's had more, and beefier, stuff in them.

    I'm going to try making them fried in olive or canola oil. Then they will be healthy food, well maybe healthy er.
    Joe



    Ever get around to making these, Joe?


    #18
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    • Joined: 2006/01/13 11:23:00
    • Location: Dallas... DFW area
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/17 11:32:37 (permalink)
    Not yet Dog but they are on my list. I think I will make mine as full of meat as I can get them, and put lettuce and tomatoes maybe on top, not inside. Oh, hot sauce maybe on top, jalappenos, and salsa on the side. Hmm, maybe some cheese inside? I'm confused now. What do the Tub's have inside?

    Those pocket burgers sound good also! Thanks Zataar!
    Joe
    #19
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    • Joined: 2006/05/24 19:03:00
    • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/17 15:03:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

    Not yet Dog but they are on my list. I think I will make mine as full of meat as I can get them, and put lettuce and tomatoes maybe on top, not inside. Oh, hot sauce maybe on top, jalappenos, and salsa on the side. Hmm, maybe some cheese inside? I'm confused now. What do the Tub's have inside?

    Those pocket burgers sound good also! Thanks Zataar!
    Joe


    As I recall they were just meat...powdered Cheese ends up on them in the end, and they are piable enough to open and stash other things although I think I only added Taco Sauce.

    Wish I had a trip to KC planned in the near future...love the food up there!
    #20
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    • Joined: 2004/04/05 15:08:00
    • Location: kansas city, MO
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/17 15:39:42 (permalink)
    Hey guys, I'm still trying to get to In-A-Tub for a photo shoot. We had a big ice storm here this weekend, and I've been working alot this week. But it will be soon!
    In the '60s and '70s the deep - fried tacos were fried, then topped with shredded lettuce and powdered cheese. We'll see if they still do that. I'll post pocket burger pictures on the burger thread with a detailed description. Hopefully it will be this weekend.
    #21
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    • Joined: 2006/01/13 11:23:00
    • Location: Dallas... DFW area
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/17 16:35:03 (permalink)
    Great Zataar! I was gona say we might need a thread about those burgers. They sound kinda messy to put in your pocket though.

    Lettuce but no tamatoes, probably because of that sauce they have I bet. I will probably use real cheese for my tacos. I hate to rob a box of mack n cheese for that powdered stuff.
    Joe
    #22
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    • Joined: 2006/05/24 19:03:00
    • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/17 17:27:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by zataar

    Hey guys, I'm still trying to get to In-A-Tub for a photo shoot. We had a big ice storm here this weekend, and I've been working alot this week. But it will be soon!
    In the '60s and '70s the deep - fried tacos were fried, then topped with shredded lettuce and powdered cheese. We'll see if they still do that. I'll post pocket burger pictures on the burger thread with a detailed description. Hopefully it will be this weekend.



    MMMM, can't wait to see them!


    Joe, will you be keeping a photographic journal of your experiment?
    #23
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    • Joined: 2006/05/24 19:03:00
    • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/23 22:32:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by desertdog

    quote:
    Originally posted by zataar

    Hey guys, I'm still trying to get to In-A-Tub for a photo shoot. We had a big ice storm here this weekend, and I've been working alot this week. But it will be soon!
    In the '60s and '70s the deep - fried tacos were fried, then topped with shredded lettuce and powdered cheese. We'll see if they still do that. I'll post pocket burger pictures on the burger thread with a detailed description. Hopefully it will be this weekend.



    MMMM, can't wait to see them!


    Joe, will you be keeping a photographic journal of your experiment?



    PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES!!!!!


    #24
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    • Joined: 2004/04/05 15:08:00
    • Location: kansas city, MO
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/27 18:12:18 (permalink)
    Here are some photos from IN-A-TUB
    [img][/img]

    Notice the crimped edges on the shell. The tacos were surprisingly ungreasy. I forgot that ordering hot is not hot, we should have gotten extra hot.
    [img][/img]

    A close up of the very yellow cheese powder.
    [img][/img]

    A look at the interior.
    [img][/img]

    It had been years since I'd eaten here. It was the first time for my husband. We have another convert to deep fried tacos! He really liked it. The place was totally spotless and staffed by a group of young people who actually seemed to be enjoying themselves.
    The tacos cost about $1.09 each. We got 2 tacos, 1 large pocket burger, 1 order of very good fries and 2 drinks. Total, $8.64.
    #25
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    • Joined: 2006/05/24 19:03:00
    • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/27 18:33:01 (permalink)
    Sweet!

    Those look great! I gotta get back to KC soon! In the meantime I may have to make some of my own...next time Wifey is out of town, of course.

    Is the powdered cheese like from the packs in the cheapo Mac and Cheese? Pricewise they have gone up, but hell that was, yeah, quite a few years ago....I think we were getting them 3 for a buck. Oh well, that won't stop me from making the pilgramage north!

    Thanks, you guys for getting by and taking pics...glad to hear there is a convert in your midst! Now go treat yourselves to some Stroud's!

    Dean
    #26
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    • Joined: 2003/05/20 11:25:00
    • Location: Tallahassee, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/27 20:32:41 (permalink)
    What is the purpose of the cheese dust? Have I missed something here?
    #27
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    • Joined: 2004/04/05 15:08:00
    • Location: kansas city, MO
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/27 20:59:06 (permalink)
    It's a regional thing, you can't understand...
    #28
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4587
    • Joined: 2000/11/20 16:52:00
    • Location: Rogue Valley
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/27 21:44:58 (permalink)
    If only they had peas in em. Sigh.......
    Z, what do you think they clamp them with?
    #29
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    • Joined: 2004/04/05 15:08:00
    • Location: kansas city, MO
    • Status: offline
    RE: In-A-Tub Tacos 2007/01/28 11:52:22 (permalink)
    I couldn't really see into the kitchen well. I have no idea how they do it. The tacos are fried to order, then opened for the lettuce, cheese powder and sauce. The ordering system is similar to Gate's BBQ. When you order, the cashier shouts each item to the kitchen as you order it.
    #30
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1