The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Olmos Soda Fountain And Diner

peppertree

• Total Posts: 301
Olmos Soda Fountain And Diner Fri, 01/5/07 8:18 PM (permalink)
I want to share my experience at the drug store soda fountain in San Antonio, Olmos Soda Fountain & Diner.

The service there was very good. I had a burger, fries and chocolate malted milkshake.

The burger was a typical soda fountain burger. Not great, but not too bad, just average.

Fries were steak fries. I consider them below average and bland.

The chocolate shake was ok, but not better than just OK. I did like the cup of whipped cream that was offered with the shake.

The drug store is at 3902 McCullough.

There are other eateries in San Antonio that I will go to if I have a limited time in town.

Steven Green

Neesie

• Total Posts: 322
    RE: Olmos Soda Fountain And Diner Tue, 01/9/07 12:45 PM (permalink)
    Steven, thanks for sharing. I may go to San Antonio this spring. I've always had good road food experiences there. I'll keep the address of Olmos' Soda Fountain & Diner and hope that it doesn't go out of business before I arrive. Have you ever tried Schilo's Deli on Commerce? Above average and very inexpensive!

peppertree

• Total Posts: 301
      RE: Olmos Soda Fountain And Diner Wed, 01/10/07 10:01 AM (permalink)
      I don't remember ever visiting Commerce, TX. Thanks.

You have been to Hung Fong on 3600 block of Broadway (SA)? Chinese food since 1939. I went there with a lady, in the fall, and everything was served 1960's style Chinese, as I remember it was served in NYC when I was a boy. All the entrees came in seperate pots with rice and dry noodles on the side and all could be shared by everyone because they came in separate pots.

The food even tasted like 1960's Chinese. I loved it.

PepperPhil

• Total Posts: 335
        RE: Olmos Soda Fountain And Diner Fri, 01/12/07 7:53 PM (permalink)
        Thanks for the tips peppertree, san Antonio might just be a trip we take in the near future.

naxet76

• Total Posts: 351
          RE: Olmos Soda Fountain And Diner Wed, 04/18/07 10:54 PM (permalink)
          Olmos Pharmacy (as it used to be called) is still open. It's on the corner of Hildebrand and San Pedro. Schilos Deli is downtown on Commerce street and unfortunately I've yet to visit. San antonio has many wonderful different places to eat...depending in what area you are staying in. If you're downtown it's kind of out of your way to go to Longhorns Burgers on Blanco Rd. even though they have awesome juicy burgers. I love Olmos pharmacy for the nostalgic effect. They serve their shakes with a small cup filled with thick whipped cream. mmmmmm

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
            RE: Olmos Soda Fountain And Diner Mon, 04/23/07 3:30 PM (permalink)
            They have a Longhorns Burgers now in Universal City on Pat Booker Road.Universal City is right across FarmRoad 78 from Randolph Air Force Base.You can find it on Yahoo maps.Longhorns Burgers is in the old Hungery Farmer restaurant,as you go towards the Olympia Forum Shopping area.
            One of the stores in Seguin has a soda fountain.It's located across the street from the Guadalupe County Courthouse.In all the years I have lived here,never once have I eaten there.Will have to try it some time,just like Briezke Station out in New Berlin,Tx,not too far from me.I maybe mispelling the name.I think they have a website.There is also Aurora Cafe down near St.Hedwig,which I think is still open,and Harmon's BBQ in Cibolo which is about maybe 2 to 4 miles from Randolph.You go out FM78 and
            turn left on Loop 536 I believe it's called.Then go straight till you come to a blinking light.Turn left and go up Main Street.It will be on your right hand side.There is also Cibolo Bakery and Catelano's Pizza there as well,all locally owned.
            Don't eat at La Tortillita in Cibolo next to the bank on FM78.Heard they had cockaroaches in the food.
            I heard this here at work,so take it from the locals.

naxet76

• Total Posts: 351
              RE: Olmos Soda Fountain And Diner Tue, 05/1/07 12:52 AM (permalink)
              oh my goodness, Harmon's BBQ is the absolute BEST!! We've been there several times and are constantly craving it! I love it, love it, love it. Now, i'm not a fan of Rudy's BBQ, so if you love rudy's you may not like Harmon's because their sauce is on the sweet side. Their brisket falls apart and their chicken is to die for. Try it!

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                RE: Olmos Soda Fountain And Diner Tue, 05/1/07 3:25 PM (permalink)
                Someone here said that Harmon's no longer has their place downtown.I'll have to go to Harmon's.Don't really have time at lunch,and they do get a lot of people from the base.I had tried the Rudy's in New Braunfels.Thought it was okay,but not spectacular.

southpoint

• Total Posts: 1
                  RE: Olmos Soda Fountain And Diner Sun, 02/10/08 12:52 PM (permalink)
                  Regarding Olmos Soda Fountain, we went there on a Saturday at 4:32. We were told that the kitchen was closed, and we couldn't order a soda either. Their website says 5 p.m....They were getting ready for the night, which it seems it is a bar/nightclub in the evening. So, go early in the day if going...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com