Northern Missouri Rails and Roadfood, HELP!

Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
2003/07/19 14:23:12 (permalink)

Northern Missouri Rails and Roadfood, HELP!

OK Folks,
We have had a couple of threads that deal with the general area, but I need some specifics, PLEASE!!
Our roadtrip up the Mississippi several weeks ago was interupted by a family emergency. We are planning to resume 'part' of it next week.
We will meet Bushie and his family for an early dinner at the Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro, KY Wed. evening, then stay the nite in Mt Vernon IL. Thursday the plan is to start in Mt Vernon,IL, get across the River on the 270 beltway and follow MO-79 up thru Louisiana (stop at Stark Bro. Nursery to check on fruit tree specials) and Hannibal to Ft. Madison Iowa. Friday and maybe part of Saturday, will be from Ft Madison thru Northern MO-- LaPlata, Marceline, Carrollton and Camden to K C .
As some of you know I am also a railfan...chasing trains, and photographing them has been a major hobby for years... So following the BNSF line up the River, then Following the Old SF line to Kansas City is something we really look forward to. We use a radio scanner to track the train traffic and photograph everything that moves (and some things that don't!!
What I need are some recommendations for chow along the way. Sidetripping a few miles is no big deal. The object is to stay as close to the rails as I can without breaking the law. I have received some good rail info from one of the rail-hobby forums, but need to correlate that with good ROADFOOD. We know Kansas City, so skip that segment. We will probably then run for home with a couple of stops one in MO (near I-70 and one in IL (near I-64).
One more item...Any fleamarkets, local festivals, or fairs going on next week in any of the communities mentioned...or others that you know of????Please give a reference to them also..
Overland, are you reading this???

Please give me some good possibilities.
Thanks,
AL

3 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1