The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Loudest Chain Restaurant?

letterdavidman

• Total Posts: 3
Loudest Chain Restaurant? Sat, 01/13/07 3:44 PM (permalink)
What would you characterize as the loudest, as in volume, chain restaurant to eat at? I would, without a doubt, have to nominate the Pappadeaux in nearby Springdale, Ohio. It's so loud that, after a typical meal there (usually lasting upwards of two hours), my ears are ringing. And it's not from music being too loudly piped from the P.A.; nope, the din is entirely created from the voices of all the diners ricocheting off the walls. I'm left wondering what genius designed the main dining room.

Your thoughts?

Sundancer7

RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Sat, 01/13/07 3:53 PM (permalink)
    I cannot make a comment on the noise level at Pappadeaux's. I ate there (Houston) a couple of weeks ago and I did not notice the noise level. It could be because I do not hear well at all??

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
      RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Sat, 01/13/07 4:30 PM (permalink)
      I would have to put Johnny Rocket's at the head of the list, followed by Joe's Clam Shack.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
        RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Sat, 01/13/07 4:55 PM (permalink)
        The local Red Lobster is very loud, another poor design with high ceilings and not much to absorb the din.

John

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Sat, 01/13/07 5:23 PM (permalink)

Since we are thinking of a Chain Operation as opposed to a specific single location, I nominate RED ROBIN. I have been in 4 or 5 of their stores across the country, and will not go into another, if I can avoid it. The blaring music in ALL parts of the building (including the restrooms) make it impossible to hear any conversations carried on at lower than a screaming level.
          I think their Burgers are overpriced and the furniture less than comfortable for a big guy...but the noise level is what keeps me out of the place.

Pwingsx

• Total Posts: 2170
            RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Sat, 01/13/07 7:26 PM (permalink)
            I agree with Al that Red Robin is too loud, their chairs are not kind to bigger people, and the burgers are over-priced.

That said, I still love banzai burgers. Can't resist 'em.

LegalLady

• Total Posts: 404
              RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Sat, 01/13/07 7:32 PM (permalink)
              Ewwwwwwwwww Applebee's it hurts my brain. Red Rob is a chain, and it is loud, but I love their burgers!

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Sat, 01/13/07 8:00 PM (permalink)
                Joe's Crab Shack was loud the last time we ate at the one in Louisville, Ky. Obnoxiously loud.

Andrea

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                  RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Sat, 01/13/07 10:16 PM (permalink)
                  Chuck E Cheese's is as loud as anyplace I've been.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                    RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Sun, 01/14/07 7:29 AM (permalink)
                    I think this is done on purpose. It lends an air that the place is lively and festive. I guess to the younger croud it puts them a good mood and would be willing to spend more on drinks and apps and stay a little longer.

Myself, being a stoggey old buck, I prefer a nice quiet meal with good conversation and good freinds. A freind of mine recently visited Babo's in NYC said the food was great and $$$ but the noise drove them out sooner than they would have liked. Chow Jim

John B

RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Sun, 01/14/07 9:15 AM (permalink)
                      The local Macaroni Grill wins for loud around here. Just too much.

buffetbuster

RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Mon, 01/15/07 8:19 AM (permalink)
                        Noise in a restaurant typically doesn't bother me, but the one exception is the Bravo Cucina nearest me. I have never eaten at any other Bravo so I can't say they are all like this. But the acoustics are so bad there that the place can only be half full and you can't have a normal conversation with your dining partner because of the noise.

frogger67

• Total Posts: 156
                          RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Mon, 01/15/07 10:47 AM (permalink)
                          Buffalo Wild Wings.
                          Forget about talking to anyone at your table at this place. The numerous TV screens show sports at full volume. The patrons are screaming and yelling loudly. Not a relaxing night out by a long shot.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                            RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Mon, 01/15/07 5:34 PM (permalink)
                            I find that many/most chain restaurants are loud.
                            Hooters, Crapplebee's Ruby Tuesday, Friday's..
                            Mostly wood with no insulation.

Sundancer7

RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Mon, 01/15/07 6:25 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by roossy90

I find that many/most chain restaurants are loud.
                              Hooters, Crapplebee's Ruby Tuesday, Friday's..
                              Mostly wood with no insulation.

Roossy: I think you are right particularly with the larger chains that build a 10,000 SF open shell with no insulation and open ceilings. The sound resonates throughout and I find that irritating. I guess it is cheaper to build them that way but it seems to me that loss of energy due to heat and cold would negate and building advantage?

I am hard of hearing but those places still irritate me.

Paul E. Smith
                              Knoxville, TN

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                                RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Tue, 01/16/07 7:30 AM (permalink)
                                My vote is for Joe's Crab Shack. We visited last summer for the first time in several years (thanks to a freebie) and after we left, we knew why we hadn't been in a while. The noise was terrible.

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
                                  RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Tue, 01/16/07 9:20 AM (permalink)
                                  A restaurant doesn't have to be a chain to be noisy. I have eaten in some very high priced restaurants where it was so loud that you couldn't carry on a conversation with people across the table. Gallitoires in New Orleans and Bobby Vann's Steakhouse in New York come to mind as the loudest I've been in recently.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4716
                                    RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Tue, 01/16/07 1:15 PM (permalink)
                                    We ate at the Texas Roadhouse in Janesville WI when it first opened and the noise level was torturous. The building was fairly full plus I believe it was a Saturday so I'm sure at least some of the patrons were more boisterous than usual, but the topper was that every time some song came over the sound system the staff would suddenly start singing/yelling and dancing around. I couldn't carry on a conversation with my family sitting across the table from me, and a grenade could've gone off and half the place wouldn't have noticed.

Add to this the server that wanted to be my bestest buddy and I'm not particularly inclined to return, although that'll probably happen someday.

Brad

frogger67

RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Tue, 01/16/07 1:41 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by Hillbilly

A restaurant doesn't have to be a chain to be noisy. I have eaten in some very high priced restaurants where it was so loud that you couldn't carry on a conversation with people across the table. Gallitoires in New Orleans and Bobby Vann's Steakhouse in New York come to mind as the loudest I've been in recently.

Good point--Spago's in Las Vegas, in the shops near Caesars Palace....for the amount of money we dropped there, I couldn't hear the person sitting next to me at table. And the tables were so close together it was a task to get up to use the restroom.
                                      Seems like people just want to be "seen" at these places, and pay good money to be seen...versus have a relaxing meal.

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
                                        RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Wed, 01/17/07 10:05 AM (permalink)
                                        I agree that it's not necessarily fast food places, and that, sometimes, it's a fashion (or ego) thing.

The loudest restaurants I've ever been to have been hot spots on South Beach in Miami, always as a guest of my Brother-in-law. One (some years ago) was the China Grill. We had to sit at a central table in order to see and be seen. Of course, we couldn't possibly carry on a conversation. My Wife and I remarked that we saw people who appeared to be on first dates and imagined it must be great for incredibly shallow people. They can eat an entire expensive meal together and never exchange a word.

Another thing we've noticed at a couple of these places is there's not enough light to read the menu. Apparently, if you're in the know and sufficiently known you let the server or chef (whom you've paid handsomely in the past) choose for you. Otherwise, you're probably eating something out of a can.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                                          RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Wed, 01/17/07 10:59 AM (permalink)
                                          Ru San's sushi bars in Charlotte and Atlanta top my list. Thank goodness the tone it down during lunch.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                                            RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Fri, 01/19/07 3:57 PM (permalink)
                                            Outback and Carrabas get my vote.

MandalayVA

• Total Posts: 367
                                              RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Fri, 01/19/07 6:18 PM (permalink)
                                              The local Lone Star Steakhouse. They CRANK the music (country, which I loathe) even at lunch when there's hardly anyone there. The last time we went, well over a year ago, we were one of two couples in there and we were literally yelling at each other to be heard. When I shouted to the waitress over the blaring Shania Twain if the music could be turned down, she said that it was kept at that level all the time and management wouldn't allow it. At least that's what I think she said; my lip-reading skills aren't the best.

• Total Posts: 335
                                                RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Sat, 01/20/07 10:54 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Brad_Olson

... the topper was that every time some song came over the sound system the staff would suddenly start singing/yelling and dancing around.

That sounds exactly like what happens at Lone Star Steakhouse (my nomination), at least that was the case ten years ago.

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                                                  • Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                                                  RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Sat, 01/20/07 11:09 PM (permalink)
                                                  I guess I'm lucky that the Lone Star Steakhouse less than a mile away from me keeps their music real soft.

There's usually not a lot of people in there , anyway... (it's really hit or miss, mostly miss)

I've actually found myself going there for a "quiet" meal the last few weeks. It was convenient on my way home from dealing poker.
                                                  Surprising , I gave their cheeseburger another chance (did'nt like it a year or so ago),
                                                  and it got so much better. Actually, delicious, believe it or not.
                                                  charred nicely, toasted buttered roll, and it sure seems like better meat now

Cornbread

• Total Posts: 53
                                                    RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Sat, 01/20/07 11:53 PM (permalink)
                                                    Roy's in Sarasota is louder than any restaurant I have been in.

frogger67

RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Mon, 01/22/07 1:49 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by MandalayVA

The local Lone Star Steakhouse. They CRANK the music (country, which I loathe) even at lunch when there's hardly anyone there. The last time we went, well over a year ago, we were one of two couples in there and we were literally yelling at each other to be heard. When I shouted to the waitress over the blaring Shania Twain if the music could be turned down, she said that it was kept at that level all the time and management wouldn't allow it. At least that's what I think she said; my lip-reading skills aren't the best.

I don't understand why management would not follow a CUSTOMER'S request and turn the music down. Do they want their patrons deaf, along with being hungry? This reminds me of a situation I encountered at Carlyle, a fancy Great American Restaurants location in Arlington, VA. The music was so loud, I could not talk to my date. I asked the server, and she agreed--the music was too loud and bothered her too. She checked with the Manager, the music was turned down for about 10 minutes, and then it was blasting again (it was that annoying "electronica" garbage, to add insult to injury).
                                                      I asked the server what happened-she said the manager wants the music that loud.
                                                      So much for accomodating the customer.

Doatsie82

• Total Posts: 205
                                                        • Location: San Diego, CA
                                                        RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Mon, 01/22/07 7:20 PM (permalink)
                                                        Joe's Crab Shack by far, because of their super-loud music. However Chucky Cheese is loud because of all the little urchins! Doatsie

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                                                          • Location: Kannapolis area, NC
                                                          RE: Loudest Chain Restaurant? Tue, 01/23/07 10:27 AM (permalink)
                                                          Another thought came into my head after thinking about the question. There used to be a bar in the Fan district of Richmond, VA that had a sign

"IF THE MUSIC IS TOO LOUD, YOU'RE TOO OLD"

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com