The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them?

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Mon, 01/15/07 4:55 PM (permalink)
We just made at my house using their 15 bean soup mix, and added a cut up pack of Butterball turkey sausage and some onions. I ate 3 bowls! We soaked the beans overnight and no gas has showed up yet.

Looks like they make allot of bean and soup stuff, even chili. Has anyone used this brand of anything?
Joe

pamelakrest

• Total Posts: 362
    RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Tue, 01/16/07 2:55 AM (permalink)
    I love soupbeans :-) I haven't tried all,but most I have!
    I used to cook them on the stove but now I swear by my crock pot.I like to take jowl bacon (cut up),onions(chopped),2 cloves of garlic (chopped)cpl of tble spoons of Kikoman Lite soy sauce,toss all in crock pot,add soaked beans of choice...cook till tender. I made a huge crock pot recently for a function and they scraped the pot clean. I also made hoe cakes to go with my beans

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
      RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Tue, 01/16/07 7:04 AM (permalink)
      Jowl Bacon, Wow, wish I could find that around here. The Italians call it quingalle it's much like pancetta but has a somewhat sweeter taste and not as tough. Chow Jim

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
        RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Tue, 01/16/07 7:27 AM (permalink)
        I havent tried that particular brand,Papajoe-I use Jack Rabbit mixed beans because my great Uncle invented the mix at the Michigan Bean Co.in the 1940s!Yes,you might say my heritage is full of beans!!!

Jim in NC

• Total Posts: 186
          RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Tue, 01/16/07 9:01 AM (permalink)
          My favorite from Hurst is their Cajun 15 Bean Soup mix. Easy, good and freezes well.

tybeeguy

• Total Posts: 87
            RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Tue, 01/16/07 9:22 AM (permalink)
            Jim in NC, I agree, the Cajun 15 bean soup is outstanding. The cajun seasoning packet gives the soup a great little kick. I have tried several of Hurst's bean products and they all are quite good.

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
              RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Tue, 01/16/07 9:59 AM (permalink)
              Yes, they are. I can't get jowl bacon either, unlike Pam, but was able to find a great ham hock at the butcher's. 33 degrees here with snow showers. Looks like a great day to make some soup.

pamelakrest

• Total Posts: 362
                RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Tue, 01/16/07 10:55 AM (permalink)
                I am in Dayton,Ohio and I didn't think jowl bacon was not basically available everywhere in the states. The main reason I like jowl bacon is because it's very smokey tasting. I have used smoked turkey wings too when I am feeling like being a tad healthy lolzzzz I think the Kikoman Lite soy sauce adds an under taste that makes all the other flavors just pop,of course this is my own opinion lolzzzzzzzzzz

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                  RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Tue, 01/30/07 9:47 AM (permalink)
                  You are basically paying two dollars for a package of bullion. Have at it folks.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                    RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Tue, 01/30/07 12:59 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by V960

You are basically paying two dollars for a package of bullion. Have at it folks.
                    At least around here it includes the beans too. It does cost a little more than if you made it yourself, but then you would have to keep 15 little bags of different beans on hand. It is worth it to me to buy the one little bag of mixed beans when I need it, make the soup, and be done with it.

There was a very nice IH pull type bean combine on eBay a few weeks ago. I bid, but lost. It was the model (no longer made) that most dry (soup type) beans are picked with. A lot of dry beans are grown by small farmers in Maine and upstate New York. Big farmers, with big machines can't be bothered growing a few acres of an obscure type of bean, for a very limited market. Small growers can make a few bucks at it, but only if they are close to a buyer. If I had bought the combine, I'd have had to haul my crop several hundred miles to one of the 2 "local" buyers that I know of. I'm glad that I was outbid (lol)

tybeeguy

• Total Posts: 87
                      RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Tue, 01/30/07 1:11 PM (permalink)
                      You are correct tmiles. The packages here in Georgia also have the beans. Bullion cubes I have but I don't have the 15 beans laying around. A great product and well worth the 2 bucks.

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                        RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Tue, 01/30/07 3:41 PM (permalink)
                        Here in NC they have about ten different Hurst's Hambeans mixes. Only one is the fifteen beam mix, the rest are all one bean w/ the tiny ham flavor package. I should have be more clear in my description.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                          RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Tue, 01/30/07 4:26 PM (permalink)
                          I usually mix the 15 bean soup with smoked sausage. Other bean soup recipes, I use a honey-baked ham bone with alot of meat on it.

gregsgoatfarm

• Total Posts: 52
                            RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Fri, 08/31/07 8:52 PM (permalink)
                            Hurst is made right here in Indianapolis where the city paid them big money for their parking lot to use for the new Lucas Oil Stadium, future home of the world-champion Colts. For a while it looked like the city was going to use eminent domain and take their entire factory. Sympathetic public outcry due in no small measure to a big Hurst advertising blitz on local radio caused the city to reconsider its greed... er, plan. I particularly like the 15-bean Cajun prepared with a pound of pre-cooked Johnsonville Andouille sausage.

PapaJoe8

RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Wed, 09/5/07 3:45 PM (permalink)
                              Thanks Greg! I must try your Cajun version.
                              Joe

Chilton

• Total Posts: 12
                                RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Wed, 09/5/07 3:55 PM (permalink)
                                Burgers Smokehouse in California, Missouri sells jowl bacon that is very good. Also a great source for second cut bacon, ends, bean meat etc for cooking as well as hams and different bacon cures and flavors. Easy to find on line or call for a catalogue.

matty373

• Total Posts: 17
                                  RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Fri, 12/21/07 11:04 PM (permalink)
                                  The Hurst Hambeans are good beans, usually not as many bad ones (or rocks) to sort out. I prefer to get beans without the seasoning, but their 15 bean mix is good. The Burgers Smokehouse stuff is really good, though it is cured and tends to be a bit salty. I am lucky enough to get good smoked shanks here and to me, that is the best for bean soup. Usually, I will soak my beans overnight and cook the shank, along with with good stock veggies separately. Then you can take the shank (and some of the vegetables) out, separate it, and put the meat back in, along with the beans. That way the beans cook in the stock. Let it cook forever, make some good cornbread and bring on the snow. Mmmmm...I am going to make some this weekend.

These forums make me so hungry.

PapaJoe8

RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Thu, 12/27/07 12:54 PM (permalink)
                                    I kinda forgot about this thread. It reminded me it's time to cook some of these beans! I think I'll try that Andouille in the Cajun 15 bean pack.
                                    Joe

Captain Morgan

• Total Posts: 503
                                      RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Thu, 12/27/07 12:59 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by pamelakrest

I love soupbeans :-) I haven't tried all,but most I have!
                                      I used to cook them on the stove but now I swear by my crock pot.I like to take jowl bacon (cut up),onions(chopped),2 cloves of garlic (chopped)cpl of tble spoons of Kikoman Lite soy sauce,toss all in crock pot,add soaked beans of choice...cook till tender. I made a huge crock pot recently for a function and they scraped the pot clean. I also made hoe cakes to go with my beans

how long in the crockpot?

matilda

• Total Posts: 667
                                        RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Fri, 12/28/07 9:48 AM (permalink)
                                        I use them a lot. I don't use them to make soup and I don't use the seasoning packet. I like them because as stated above, the mix of beans is great. What I do, usually, is simmer leftover ham and bone(s) for a bit. Then I use about half the bag of beans, add more Limas because I love those big Limas, barley and maybe some more blackeyed peas. I cook these slowly on the stovetop and serve with cornbread, sliced onion and Duke's mayo. Mmmm. Sometimes I have devilled eggs on the side, but it's not necessary.

PapaJoe8

RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Fri, 12/28/07 5:29 PM (permalink)
                                          Capt, 6 hrs. or so, maybe a bit longer.

matilda, nice tip for the extra limas! I'll do that next time. What do you do w/ those season paks? Maybe I could trade some limas? I like those paks!

I'm dying to try the chili bean paks. They are not old here in north Texas that I know of.
                                          Joe

PapaJoe8

RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Fri, 12/28/07 5:33 PM (permalink)

Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Matilda, nice tip for the extra limas! I'll do that next time. What do you do w/ those season paks? Maybe I could trade some limas? I like those paks!

I'm dying to try the chili beanss. They are not sold here in north Texas that I know of. I'm not beyond ordering them off the net.
                                            Joe

matilda

RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Fri, 12/28/07 5:36 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:

matilda, nice tip for the extra limas! I'll do that next time. What do you do w/ those season paks? Maybe I could trade some limas? I like those paks!

I'm dying to try the chili bean paks. They are not old here in north Texas that I know of.
                                              Joe

The season packs usually end up in the nether regions of my cabinets, never to be seen again.
                                              Maybe I'll start keeping them in a Ziploc and save them for you.

Robearjr

• Total Posts: 1102
                                                RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Mon, 12/31/07 9:26 PM (permalink)
                                                I don't use the season packets. I use both hamhocks (2) and ham steak (1.5 lbs), so I don't have a need for extra salt or ham flavor. The season mix is all soy and salt anyway. There is no real meat flavoring in it.

They do suggest the juice of a lemon, which I think gives the soup a nice little snap.

MLange

• Total Posts: 5
                                                  RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Tue, 03/4/08 5:46 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by annpeeples

I havent tried that particular brand,Papajoe-I use Jack Rabbit mixed beans because my great Uncle invented the mix at the Michigan Bean Co.in the 1940s!Yes,you might say my heritage is full of beans!!!

What a blast from the past. I spent my childhood in Ann Arbor, where my mother is from. I grew up eating Jack Rabbit beans. Bean soup made with chunks of leftover ham and Jack Rabbit great northern beans was a family staple. I seem to have a dim memory of something called Michigan beans--can I possibly be remembering this right?

PapaJoe8

• Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                    RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Tue, 03/4/08 7:00 PM (permalink)
                                                    Matilda, somehow I missed this. Thanks for the offer but I was kinda teasin. I do use the packs though.

Anyone tried the chili flavor???
                                                    Joe

MiamiDon

RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Wed, 03/5/08 9:56 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by pamelakrest

I am in Dayton,Ohio and I didn't think jowl bacon was not basically available everywhere in the states. The main reason I like jowl bacon is because it's very smokey tasting. I have used smoked turkey wings too when I am feeling like being a tad healthy lolzzzz I think the Kikoman Lite soy sauce adds an under taste that makes all the other flavors just pop,of course this is my own opinion lolzzzzzzzzzz

Try 50/50 soy sauce and worcestershire sauce.

matilda

• Location: Port Royal, SC
                                                        RE: Hurst's Hambeans soups, anyone tried them? Wed, 03/5/08 11:20 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:

Matilda, somehow I missed this. Thanks for the offer but I was kinda teasin. I do use the packs though.

Anyone tried the chili flavor???
                                                        Joe

I knew you were teasing. LOL!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com