Mutton Pies

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
teak
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2003/07/24 15:33:07 (permalink)

Mutton Pies

Anyone remember the Mutton pies made by Taylors in Paterson NJ?
Does anyone have the recipe? Mutton pies sure are good. Anyone know where in PAterson area they are?

79 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18866
    RE: Mutton Pies 2003/07/24 15:43:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by teak

Does anyone have the recipe? Mutton pies sure are good. Anyone know where in PAterson area they are?

I've never even heard of mutton pies. Are they pot-pie type things or pasty type pies?
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Mutton Pies 2003/07/24 16:33:45 (permalink)
    Yes, indeed, what are mutton pies? Have never heard of them. Are they anything like a chicken pot pie but made with mutton rather than chicken? Or are they something like a Natchitoches Meat Pie, a Shepherd's Pie, or something else entirely? Sounds interesting but different. While have known of a few areas/places where mutton, as opposed to lamb, is occasionally served, have never known of an area where it is really big other than the Owensboro, KY, area. Perhaps The Mayor will know about mutton pie and have a recipe for it.
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Mutton Pies 2003/07/27 20:52:33 (permalink)
    Teak, my curiousity is getting the best of me. How about letting us know more about those mutton pies.
    Tom Tierney
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Mutton Pies 2003/08/14 03:03:00 (permalink)
    I remember they were made in Clifton. If you find them, PLEASE contact me
    lovemyboxerz
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Mutton Pies 2003/08/26 13:20:06 (permalink)
    You can still buy them-on Union Ave in Paterson-at a small spanish restaurant-I don't know the exact address, but it is near a Dunkin Donuts, a deli and a tatoo shop.
    scenicrec
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Mutton Pies 2003/09/04 01:25:32 (permalink)
    Wow, this brings back memories! Every Christmas my nana, who is 94 and from southwestern Ireland, made mutton pies for my family to bring back to Connecticut (she lives in Springfield, MA). They were very simple- cubed, stewed mutton in gravy encased in a biscuit-like pastry. They were served hot in a shallow bowl of chicken broth. I never cared for them, but my family wolfed them down. Who knows how good they were?(On a side note, I'd like to add that every year she made a birthday cake for the baby Jesus and we'd blow out the candle!)
    mkv8353
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mutton Pies 2003/10/15 14:11:21 (permalink)
    My grandfather loved Taylor's meat pies. A couple of years ago we found the closest thing to them in Kearny, NJ. There are a couple of places, one is Stewart's of Kearny, and they have a website
    http://www.stewartsofkearny.com/ where you can order on line, however, I suggest taking the ride to Kearny. Enjoy!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Mutton Pies 2003/10/15 14:34:47 (permalink)
    Like to---
    Sorry, my experience with Mutton is either with the BBQ in Owensboro,KY...or at Louis's Basque Rest. in Reno. Louis serves a Mutton Stew which basically what is described a few times above..but in a soup bowl instead of a crust.
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Mutton Pies 2003/10/15 16:13:32 (permalink)
    mkv - what a great website! Wish I lived close enough to make the trip. I may have to order some of the things I'd like to try on-line.
    Carol Carfello Milidantri
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mutton Pies 2003/10/29 11:43:02 (permalink)

teak:

I went on line to see if I could find a recipe for Mutton Pies and found your question.

My first mother-in-law, Kate Carfello used to love the Mutton Pies you refered to. Almost 38 years ago when my kids were little we would drive to Paterson and turn off onto a side street and buy those delicious little pies. She recently went into a nursing home and I wanted to try and make some for her. The recipe I found sounds like it could be the one but the proof will be in the taste. It was nice to see that someone else remembered them too.
    MrGG
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mutton Pies 2003/11/06 20:54:07 (permalink)
    quote:

I grew up on them as a kid living 1 block away from Bill Taylors shop on Union Ave. I've often wondered where I might find a good pie like Taylors and am happy to find recomendations on this site. I don't believe Taylors is still in business anywhere but would happilly travel anywhere in the tri-state area to get some. I can almost taste them now----
    MrGG
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mutton Pies 2003/11/06 20:56:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lovemyboxerz

You can still buy them-on Union Ave in Paterson-at a small spanish restaurant-I don't know the exact address, but it is near a Dunkin Donuts, a deli and a tatoo shop.
    Sounds like Richmond ave to me. I will check this place out soon and let interested eaters know the result
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Mutton Pies 2003/11/06 23:20:26 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Good night, does this sound delicious! Keep this thread running; I'll check back. I knew there had to be some sort of local New Jersey thing like that....
    Salivating Pavlovianly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, Forgetting Momentarily About Livermush.
    Madmartigan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Mutton Pies 2005/01/28 04:27:17 (permalink)
    I too, grew up near Taylor's, on Redwood Ave. Last I heard, someone had bought the business and was making them on Belmont Ave. in Haledon. The last time I talked to him, he was having a rough go of it, and was considering selling the business. This was approximately 10-15 years ago.
    spaniel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Mutton Pies 2005/01/28 20:52:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

mkv - what a great website! Wish I lived close enough to make the trip. I may have to order some of the things I'd like to try on-line.

The menu on this website lists "Meatpie, Sausage Roll, Bridie or Cornish Pastie." Just curious, since I've heard all of these except "bridie," is this another name for a cornish pasty (pastie, whatever) or something else? Thanks!
    Madmartigan
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mutton Pies 2005/01/29 05:41:19 (permalink)
    "Sounds like Richmond ave to me. I will check this place out soon and let interested eaters know the result"

Well, Mr. GG, it's been over a year.
    MissKitty
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Mutton Pies 2005/02/01 08:13:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by spaniel

quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

The menu on this website lists "Meatpie, Sausage Roll, Bridie or Cornish Pastie." Just curious, since I've heard all of these except "bridie," is this another name for a cornish pasty (pastie, whatever) or something else? Thanks!

Definitely not another name for a Cornish pasty :) although originally when invented in the 1870's the bridie had some similarities. Cornish pasties [should] contain finely cubed ( not minced ) meat, usually beef, swede and/or turnip, onion, potato and seasoning. The traditional pastry to contain all this is shortcrust, although unfortunately many commercial companies use puff pastry, which somehow in my mind detracts from the rugged nature of the pasty. The shape is also different to a bridie - a pasty in all its variations including tiddy oggies and Lancashire Foots is usually shaped from a " half moon " pastry piece and crimped either at the top or at the side.

The original Forfar bridie did contain strips of beef, onions, mustard powder, a little beef stock and suet. It was made from two small ovals of pastry ( I have found different versions using suet pasty and flaky pastry )joined together to make a round little pie. Some of the modern versions in Scotland now use minced beef, and the bridie on the Stewarts of Kearney site appears to be nothing more than an oversized sausage rolls with potato - probably still very tasty though.

spaniel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Mutton Pies 2005/02/05 00:22:16 (permalink)
    Thanks MissKitty for the explanation. I am intrigued by some of the names of these things!
    MissKitty
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Mutton Pies 2005/02/08 15:01:49 (permalink)
    Youre welcome :) I will ask the guy who runs the little farm goods & deli store round the corner if he has any more info, as he's Glaswegian

Even though we may be smaller than some US states, we do actually have a really large and interesting range of regional foods, and they are making quite a comeback thanks to Tv chefs such as Rick Stein etc who take the trouble to hunt these things out and promote them and small producers. So it does make me quite cross when people offhandedly rubbish brit food without much basis ( like one particular poster did with several posts in the hotdog forum recently ) - yes there is some terrible food to be found here but that's a global problem, don't just come to somewhere like London and sample three or four places there and then say " Its all awful and they know nothing about food " !!!

Sorry, didn't mean to get on my soapbox, but that guy did make me really annoyed One of the reasons I love reading Roadfood forums is thats its fascinating to compare regional specialties even on different continents :) and its interesting to see similarities or how they have developed from one another.
    dipster455
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mutton Pies 2006/01/04 15:35:12 (permalink)
    quote:

dipster455
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mutton Pies 2006/01/04 15:41:34 (permalink)
    quote:

I am originally from NJ and I do remember Taylors in Paterson. My ex's grandfather used to take me over there for them. There was a place up further on Union Blvd. going towards Totowa, next door to the Dunkin Donuts. I forgot the name of that place, but they made the same mutton pie as Taylors did. I think they said they got the recipe from them. I was just trying to find one online and no one seems to have it. Not even my cookbooks have one. So if you do find one. Please send it to me as well. I'm dying to taste them again. It's been a few years since I had it last. I left NJ 2 years ago. I'm glad someone else has the same craving for them as I do. LOL
    tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: Mutton Pies 2006/01/04 15:57:43 (permalink)
    I think that less Americans than ever are eating mutton. I got very good auction prices for my lambs in 2005, but my old ewes (mutton) brought low prices. Lamb has become a luxury meat. Loin chops here in Massachusetts cost more than lobster, but lots of mutton ends up being used as a low cost "mystery meat". A lot, I am told, ends up in restaurant lasagna. The shepherds pie that was served in the school lunch programs 50 years ago turned a lot of people against mutton for life, so perhaps that is to blame. I have only had mutton pie once that I can remember, and that was in Europe. If I saw mutton pie in the store I would buy it if only to help the seller hold on to the shelf space. Mutton, if well prepared, can be very good.
    Madmartigan
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mutton Pies 2006/01/04 21:19:20 (permalink)
    I understand, there's a place called cameron's of kearney, who make "mutton" pies just like Taylor's used to make. They're made with beef, but I haven't gotten around to trying them, as for right now, I'm living in Michigan. But if i get back to Joisey, I will definitely try them.
    thc
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mutton Pies 2006/01/29 10:21:45 (permalink)
    quote:

They are no longer mutton...but they taste very good...
    hk10036
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mutton Pies 2006/02/21 00:37:52 (permalink)
    I have lived in and around Paterson all my life and grew up on Taylor's mutton pies.My great grandfather had a blacksmith shop at the bottom of the Great Falls,and his grandfather moved there when "God save the King" was still the national anthem. By the 40's Taylor's pies were everywhere, deli's, roadhouses(ginmills or bars),the corner store and not only in Paterson but all the surrounding towns.I grew up on all types of British foods, Oxtail soup,kippers and eggs,fish + chips, etc. but Mutton pies were my favorite.We would cut them down the middle so that the meat was facing up and watch them rock back and forth taken from a very hot oven, I can still smell them.My father talked to old man Taylor just before he died and he said he was closing the shop.But you can order them from [www.goodwoods.com] British Market, the postage is high but they taste very much like Taylors.If I find them closer I'll post a note.Next time I'll talk about hot dogs "all the way". Hk
    Madmartigan
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mutton Pies 2006/02/21 05:11:58 (permalink)
    This place is over 10 dollars cheaper on the actual food, don't know about shipping, AND they're in Jersey.

http://207.201.194.214/onlinestore/results.cfm?Category=01&subcat=ALL
    frank241
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mutton Pies 2006/09/28 18:27:54 (permalink)

I lived in Paterson where I bought mutton pies daily on union ave. They mover to belmont ave (no longer there)
    the spanish place on union ave by richmond no longer sells them but I heard there is a place in teaneck that does. I will get info. Anyone willing to open a place in Pateson and start making mutton pies again. Garented a success.
    Frank
    frankied2412000@yahoo.com
    anyone know of a place that sells them let me know.
    BernieF
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mutton Pies 2006/10/09 15:12:10 (permalink)
    I lived in Paterson most of my life and also had mutton pies. They were made by a family named Taylor. They moved to Haledon and their daughter made the pies on Belmont Avenue under the name Aston Meat Pies. They had a fire at this location and went out of business. If anyone finds them keep me posted I'm still searching too.
    Madmartigan
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mutton Pies 2007/02/15 14:23:25 (permalink)
    Since a lot of us are from the Paterson area, wouldn't it be a hoot if we actually knew each other?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1