How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
St. Louis Browns fan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
2003/07/24 16:25:41 (permalink)

How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame?

They've got Halls of Fame for baseball, football, basketball and rock 'n roll. It's time for the foodies to start one.

My first-year class of Roadfood Hall of Famers includes the Mayfair Diner in Philly, Arthur Bryant's, Ted Drewes and Amighetti's in St. Louis, and the M & J in Albuquerque.

What do you folks think of the concept? Who are your nominees? Any comments from the Sterns?

30 Replies Related Threads

jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2003/07/24 17:25:00 (permalink)
    I think the Roadfood books already serve as restaurant halls of fame. The listings are the enshrinements.
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2003/07/24 18:58:08 (permalink)
    We could do some kind of ballot, might be fun---though the "rate it" section could take care of that.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2003/07/24 19:18:21 (permalink)
    I wish there was someway we could tie it into regional drives of interest. That would make it more interesting.

For example: The Mayor is doing the Great River Road beside the Mississippi River. The highlights of the drive, the restaurants, motels and opinions could be displayed.

The same could be applied to other areas. That would make it more fun to drivers who wish to explore the USA.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 543
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2003/07/24 19:37:23 (permalink)
    I know I am going to go to hell for this. Or be smote, or would it be smitted?. Regardless, burned in damnation, is going to be the punishment for this recommendation for a Hall of Fame choice. But we have to be honest. When I was seven or eight and living in Port Huron, Michigan, the epitome of gastronomical delights, and this is in a city that had a White Castle and an Isley's Ice Cream parlor, was getting on the bus with a bunch of like minded 7 and 8 year old, paying the driver our nickel, and with, as I remember correctly about .45 or .43 cents in each of our pockets, and getting a burger, fries and a shake, less if you wanted a Coke, at -------- I am sorry, at McDonalds. I know, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa, I am bad, I have sinned, I will pray for my salvation, and say a couple of Hail Mary's for my pennance. But it did start a revelution, and it got folks onto the road to eat food. Again, I am SORRY.
    Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2003/07/24 19:38:18 (permalink)
    The big question about a Roadfood Hall of Fame is: Would current restaurants be eligible or would this be like sports halls of fame that honor the greats only after they retire? Although it wouldn't be "useful," I love the idea of the latter, just to remember the truly great places that proved themselves over time but are no longer with us. Some of my nominations for that one would include Ma Groover's Pig & Plate in Valdosta, GA, Putnam & Thurston's in Worcester, MA, the Rocky Point Shore Dinner Hall in RI, Hap Townes in Nashville, Four Way Grill in Memphis, Gladys Breeden's in eastern Tennessee, Hillman's Seafood Cafe in Dickinson, TX, Mrs. Peters Chicken Dinners of KC, KS, and Mrs. Moeller's Ham House of Lexington, VA. Oh, sweet memories!
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2003/07/25 01:01:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CCJPO

I know I am going to go to hell for this. Or be smote, or would it be smitted?

Smitten?
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2003/07/26 17:53:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by St. Louis Browns fan

They've got Halls of Fame for baseball, football, basketball and rock 'n roll. It's time for the foodies to start one.

My first-year class of Roadfood Hall of Famers includes the Mayfair Diner in Philly, Arthur Bryant's, Ted Drewes and Amighetti's in St. Louis, and the M & J in Albuquerque.

What do you folks think of the concept? Who are your nominees? Any comments from the Sterns?

I think that the only Hall of Fame that the Mayfair Diner belongs in is the one that honors the meanest waitresses. I'm originally from Philly, and have gone back to the Mayfair Diner at different times since my defection to New Jersey. I believe that the Mayfair Diner has turned into one of those "oh, if you go to Philly, you must eat here" places, much like Pat's Steaks, without much substance to back it up. I'll probably burn for saying all that, but in my opinion, their food (with the exception of the french fries) has gone way downhill in the last ten years. Not only that but the waitresses are just the pits there. And watch your car in the parking lot to ensure it doesn't get hit! The spots are unbelievably close together. Again, my opinion only. Somebody else might love that whole Mayfair Diner experience. It was great when I was little.

I'm trying to think of nominees, though, meanwhile.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2003/07/27 19:33:17 (permalink)
    RIP: Short Stop Diner, Bloomfield, NJ; Virginia House, Lexington, VA
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

Although it wouldn't be "useful," I love the idea of the latter, just to remember the truly great places that proved themselves over time but are no longer with us. Some of my nominations for that one would include Ma Groover's Pig & Plate in Valdosta, GA, Putnam & Thurston's in Worcester, MA, the Rocky Point Shore Dinner Hall in RI, Hap Townes in Nashville, Four Way Grill in Memphis, Gladys Breeden's in eastern Tennessee, Hillman's Seafood Cafe in Dickinson, TX, Mrs. Peters Chicken Dinners of KC, KS, and Mrs. Moeller's Ham House of Lexington, VA. Oh, sweet memories!
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2003/07/27 22:37:44 (permalink)
    I like the idea of a hall of fame but only after the institution retires. I also would like a special part for roadfood critics/authors, etc., but they can still be active.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10496
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2006/12/10 14:15:27 (permalink)
    Three more places that have closed that would have to be included in any Roadfood Hall of Fame would be:

Mendenhall Hotel Revolving Tables Restaurant in Mendenhall, MS
    Uglesich's in New Orleans
    Stone's in Marshalltown, Iowa
    MacTAC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 432
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2006/12/10 14:37:10 (permalink)
    The Automats...
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2006/12/11 01:44:16 (permalink)
    I would nominate the now gone Camelia Grill and Progress Grocery in New Orleans.I loved their food and ambience.
    lostnthemail
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 427
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2006/12/11 07:15:07 (permalink)
    I'll second the revolving tables of Mendenhall. Brother's rehearsal supper was there some 30+ years ago. Wonderful!!!

What about a forum where everyone could list their top 5? It would be hard to do, but I think I could narrow it down. RIP's or currently opened, the best 5 meals you've ever had. Forum readers would then have a nice list of the best of the best.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2006/12/11 07:30:48 (permalink)
    lostnthemail-
    Glad to see another Mendenhall Hotel fan on here!

There is a thread on here already where some of us listed our all time top 10. If you want to check it out:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=148
    CCJPO
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 543
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2006/12/11 08:43:40 (permalink)
    I have to agree with MacTAC about the Automats. I loved them as a kid when we would visit New York City. But I still stand by my earler statement, which I know is makes me a heretic, but Mickey D's did put the road back into roadfood. And I don't even eat there anymore.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2006/12/11 09:37:44 (permalink)
    It is true that the sports all of fame inductees have to be retired but the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame honors bands/individuals that are still going strong. It could be more modeled after that set up.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2006/12/12 17:30:23 (permalink)
    Another excellent candidate that is now closed would be Hopkins Boarding House in Pensacola, FL.
    BakersBoy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2006/12/12 18:02:16 (permalink)
    This is a bit of a tough nut to crack. I think that a Hall of Fame would be appropriate but how would you ever decide. If I lived in California I would think that "In and Out " would be the best burger. However if I lived on the east coast I might think that Five Guy's had the best burger. There are places around where very few of us have been, ie. have you had a burger fron Angelos in Baltimore or a pork chop sandwhich from Willies in Brunswick, Ga.

Other Halls of Fame depend on statistics or universal appeal as in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. If this is the case, how do you compare McDonalds with Arctic in Salt Lake City.( Arctic is far superior, but that's just me.) I think that the Stern's have found a way to memorialize the places where WE want to go without any quantification.

If we were to vote for "The Food Hall of Fame". How would we be able to judge the contestants without having actually eaten there.

Hall Of Fame? We have it; It's called "Roadfood".

Just my humble opinion.

BB (Kevin)
    Sneetch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2006/12/12 18:55:44 (permalink)
    ...Manero's, the Mariner's Inn, Link's Log Cabin (all on Long Island, all RIP)...
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2006/12/12 19:09:59 (permalink)
    Whitey's in Arlington, Va has been gone for several years now, but was a classic.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2006/12/12 20:11:11 (permalink)
    Ahhh...finally a thread worthy of my 2000th response!!
    I do believe that any quality Roadfood joint deserves to be in the Roadfood Hall of Fame. However a true Hall of Fame should be dedicated to Roadfood establishments that are sadly no longer with us.

My "personal" Roadfood Hall of Fame would include

The Second Avenue Deli- NYC
    McDonald's Cafeteria- Charlotte NC
    Wolfie's Delicatessen- Miami Beach
    La Rumba- Miami Beach
    Uglesich's- New Orleans
    The White Way Cafe- Durant IA
    Crabtree's Kitchen- Marine on St Croix- MN
    M & J Restaurant- Albuquerque
    Onati- Boise ID
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2006/12/12 22:24:44 (permalink)
    wanderingjew-
    I was wondering when you were going to weigh in on this subject. And I whole heartedly agree about the M & J in Albuquerque. Is the Wolfie's Delicatessen in Miami Beach you mention Wolfie Cohen's Rascal House? Congratulations on your 2000th post!

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2006/12/13 07:46:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

wanderingjew-
    I was wondering when you were going to weigh in on this subject. And I whole heartedly agree about the M & J in Albuquerque. Is the Wolfie's Delicatessen in Miami Beach you mention Wolfie Cohen's Rascal House? Congratulations on your 2000th post!

Buffetbuster,

These are two differnet places. Wolfies was located in South Beach, I believe on 21st and Collins, in fact they were only a couple of doors down from La Rumba, the very first Cuban Restaurant I ever visited back in 1989. I last visited both places in 1997, when I returned in 2002 they were both gone. I've never been to Wolfie Cohen's, and probably never will since they are now owned by Jerry's Deli out of LA. I went to Jerrys in South Beach in 2002 and was extremely dissapointed.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1744
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2006/12/13 12:00:08 (permalink)
    WJ, Rascal House is a much better experience than Jerrys.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2006/12/13 12:51:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

WJ, Rascal House is a much better experience than Jerrys.

Signman, since I trust your judgement I will check out rascal house the next time I'm in Miami, which probably won't be for a while or at least until I lose every last pound...
    36 down- 20 to go !
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2006/12/15 13:30:31 (permalink)
    wanderingjew-
    My experience at Wolfie Cohen's was quite good, too. I had dinner there last September and then breakfast the next morning.

You used to live in Pittsburgh.... What did you think of Kazansky's in Squirrel Hill?
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2007/03/02 11:49:02 (permalink)
    My Hall of Fame List:

White House Sub Shop- Atlantic City NJ
    Frontier- Albuquerque NM
    Pepe's- New Haven CT
    Red's- Wiscasset ME
    Hodads- San Diego CA
    Katz's- New York NY
    Polly's Pancake Parlor- Sugar Hill NH
    Stroud's- Kansas City MO
    The Lobster Shack- Cape Elizabeth ME
    Roque's Carnitas- Santa Fe NM
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2007/03/02 12:10:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

wanderingjew-
    My experience at Wolfie Cohen's was quite good, too. I had dinner there last September and then breakfast the next morning.

You used to live in Pittsburgh.... What did you think of Kazansky's in Squirrel Hill?

Just noticed the thread revival and that I never responded to your comment about Kazansky's. I remember when Kazansky's was Rhoda's too.
    Both places were good for Pittsburgh,however overall I thought it was "OK", I would go there whenever I got the occasional fix for a Kosher Style Deli.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: How About a Roadfood Hall of Fame? 2007/03/02 15:56:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

The big question about a Roadfood Hall of Fame is: Would current restaurants be eligible or would this be like sports halls of fame that honor the greats only after they retire? Although it wouldn't be "useful," I love the idea of the latter, just to remember the truly great places that proved themselves over time but are no longer with us. Some of my nominations for that one would include Ma Groover's Pig & Plate in Valdosta, GA, Putnam & Thurston's in Worcester, MA, the Rocky Point Shore Dinner Hall in RI, Hap Townes in Nashville, Four Way Grill in Memphis, Gladys Breeden's in eastern Tennessee, Hillman's Seafood Cafe in Dickinson, TX, Mrs. Peters Chicken Dinners of KC, KS, and Mrs. Moeller's Ham House of Lexington, VA. Oh, sweet memories!

Could we maybe have "retired" AND currently open BUT with a longevity requirement---i know that i have RARELY been disapointed when trying a place that i happen to see "Est 1947"-or Searving you since 1955" painted on the place somewhere.--i know several places i would honer that way---and as a board member on one Hall of Fame--(oklahoma Blues Hall Of Fame)-a mix of past and current is pretty standard--i know one thing a nominee that is no longer with us has going for them is that yopu know they will never do anything to embarrass your putting them in!---and with LIVING Blues musicians--that isnt always true!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1