The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the

Author Message
BuddyRoadhouse

  • Total Posts: 4082
  • Joined: 12/10/2004
  • Location: Des Plaines, IL
Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Tue, 01/30/07 12:38 PM (permalink)
Cheeseburger!

Here is Kaelin's, a restaurant in Louisville, Kentucky, boasting of the creation of the first Cheeseburger.

Some years back I had heard that Denver, Colorado was the birthplace of the Cheeseburger. I have no idea who told me this, and mind you, they made no claims as to the origin of the Hamburger itself, only to the notion that someone in the Mile High City was the first to place a piece of cheese on top of a cooked, ground beef patty before putting the top of the bun in place.

I have made numerous efforts to find substantiation for this claim including putting out the call on a Denver based, food oriented radio program for any evidence of the truth of this rumor.

No luck.

So now, with Kaelin's as our restaurant of the day, making the same assertation, I'm wondering if any of you have heard about the Denver/Cheeseburger connection and if you have any information proving same.

Buddy
 
#1
    IansMom

    • Total Posts: 394
    • Joined: 12/12/2003
    • Location: Louisville, KY
    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Tue, 01/30/07 1:00 PM (permalink)
    Kaelin's is ok... more like a place to take your grandmother and her buddies... I've found tons of places here in Loiusville that serve a better burger at a cheaper price.. go for the history.. not the food
     
    #2
      Michael Hoffman

      • Total Posts: 17845
      • Joined: 7/1/2000
      • Location: Gahanna, OH
      RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Tue, 01/30/07 1:15 PM (permalink)
      After many years of research I can now say with certainty that the cheeseburger predates even the European settlement of North America.

      To find the origin of the cheeseburger you must go back to the days of Genghis Kahn

      In 1206 a Mongol known as Temujen, or Temujin, was crowned Genghis Khan, which translates to "emperor of all emperors." His army of Mongols, also known as Tartars, rode out of the steppes of Asia and subjugated some two thirds of the known world.

      The Tartar warriors, a fierce and dedicated lot, were known to place pieces of meat under their saddles so that as they rode the movement of the horse under the saddle would help to tenderize the meat which made up the vast majority of their diets. In fact, this is where we get the name Steak Tartare -- except, these warriors did not carry onions, eggs or capers with which to season and garnish their tartare. (That would come later under Genghis Khan's successor, Kublai Khan.)

      It seems that one day in 1206 a Mongol staff sergeant, whose name, sadly, has been lost to history, thought it might be a really terrific idea to have some cheese with his meat so he opened a package of Kraft Singles and placed four slices of the dairy product atop his piece of about-to-be burger and then saddled up to ride that day into battle, hoping, of course, to help slaughter the entire propulation of the province into which they charged. We do not, unfortunately, know the name of that province, nor do we know how many inhabitants lost their lives to the Mongol hordes. But we do know that all that riding and fighting really gave the warriors a big appetite.

      After the battle and the ensuing rapes and decapitations it was time for dinner. Because the bun had not yet been invented, the warriors were forced to put their meat between slices of toast (and that, by the way, is where Louis Lassen got the idea). When the relaxing soldiers sat around the campfire -- and it was a really big campfire, for there were thousands of soldiers -- some of them noticed the staff sergeant's meal. And many became envious and wished they had thought to add cheese to their meat. Being the sort of people they were, the killed the poor slob before he got a chance to finish eating the very first cheeseburger, which was a good thing considering all the problems he probably would have had with cholesterol.

      And that, is the actual history of the cheeseburger. Eat your hearts out Louisville and Denver.



       
      #3
        doggydaddy

        • Total Posts: 1847
        • Joined: 6/11/2006
        • Location: Austin, TX...got smoke?
        RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Tue, 01/30/07 2:46 PM (permalink)


        HHmmm,, When did Louis' start putting that cheese whiz on the toast? The claim is that they have been making their burger the same way as Louis did ever since he started. Would you consider cheeze sauce to actually be cheese?

        mark

         
        #4
          Michael Hoffman

          • Total Posts: 17845
          • Joined: 7/1/2000
          • Location: Gahanna, OH
          RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Tue, 01/30/07 2:51 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by doggydaddy



          HHmmm,, When did Louis' start putting that cheese whiz on the toast? The claim is that they have been making their burger the same way as Louis did ever since he started. Would you consider cheeze sauce to actually be cheese?

          mark



          Are you sure you meant to post this in this thread?
           
          #5
            Tedbear

            • Total Posts: 1832
            • Joined: 1/26/2004
            • Location: Somerset, NJ
            RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Tue, 01/30/07 5:58 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

            After many years of research I can now say with certainty that the cheeseburger predates even the European settlement of North America.

            To find the origin of the cheeseburger you must go back to the days of Genghis Kahn

            In 1206 a Mongol known as Temujen, or Temujin, was crowned Genghis Khan, which translates to "emperor of all emperors." His army of Mongols, also known as Tartars, rode out of the steppes of Asia and subjugated some two thirds of the known world.

            The Tartar warriors, a fierce and dedicated lot, were known to place pieces of meat under their saddles so that as they rode the movement of the horse under the saddle would help to tenderize the meat which made up the vast majority of their diets. In fact, this is where we get the name Steak Tartare -- except, these warriors did not carry onions, eggs or capers with which to season and garnish their tartare. (That would come later under Genghis Khan's successor, Kublai Khan.)

            It seems that one day in 1206 a Mongol staff sergeant, whose name, sadly, has been lost to history, thought it might be a really terrific idea to have some cheese with his meat so he opened a package of Kraft Singles and placed four slices of the dairy product atop his piece of about-to-be burger and then saddled up to ride that day into battle, hoping, of course, to help slaughter the entire propulation of the province into which they charged. We do not, unfortunately, know the name of that province, nor do we know how many inhabitants lost their lives to the Mongol hordes. But we do know that all that riding and fighting really gave the warriors a big appetite.

            After the battle and the ensuing rapes and decapitations it was time for dinner. Because the bun had not yet been invented, the warriors were forced to put their meat between slices of toast (and that, by the way, is where Louis Lassen got the idea). When the relaxing soldiers sat around the campfire -- and it was a really big campfire, for there were thousands of soldiers -- some of them noticed the staff sergeant's meal. And many became envious and wished they had thought to add cheese to their meat. Being the sort of people they were, the killed the poor slob before he got a chance to finish eating the very first cheeseburger, which was a good thing considering all the problems he probably would have had with cholesterol.

            And that, is the actual history of the cheeseburger. Eat your hearts out Louisville and Denver.




            Are you sure about this Mr. Hoffman? I have it on good authority that the cheeseburger originated in Gary, Indiana.
             
            #6
              Michael Hoffman

              • Total Posts: 17845
              • Joined: 7/1/2000
              • Location: Gahanna, OH
              RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Tue, 01/30/07 6:08 PM (permalink)
              Oh,yes. My research was extraordinarily thorough -- even for me.
               
              #7
                mayor al

                • Total Posts: 15066
                • Joined: 8/20/2002
                • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Tue, 01/30/07 6:08 PM (permalink)
                Kaelin's is OK, I agree with Ian's Mom. Only I don't feel it is worth the effort to visit the place. If I want a 'special cheeseburger' in urban Louisville, I go to Genny's Diner for the Big-Daddy Burger and some "Frickles" (deep-fried pickle slices).
                 
                #8
                  Louis

                  • Total Posts: 714
                  • Joined: 4/28/2003
                  • Location: Henderson, KY
                  RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Tue, 01/30/07 6:51 PM (permalink)
                  I went to Kaelin's for the first time a little over a year ago. I was disappointed with the cheeseburger. Not much taste to it. Some of the other menu items were better than the hamburger. One thing you should try is the bread pudding. It's listed under another name, but ask the waitress; she'll know what you are asking for. I recommend it because it has to be the most bourbon-soaked dessert I've ever put in my mouth. If you go to Kaelin's, go for the history, albeit one in an ever-perpetual dispute--not for the very expensive (and not very tasty) cheeseburger.
                   
                  #9
                    CoastFan

                    • Total Posts: 116
                    • Joined: 1/23/2005
                    • Location: Issaquah, WA
                    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Tue, 01/30/07 9:25 PM (permalink)
                    Not just Denver or Louisville. Looks like Pasadena, CA has a place also making the claim. Undoubtedly there are others.

                    quote:
                    http://www.culturefreak.com/tale.html
                     
                    #10
                      Oneiron339

                      • Total Posts: 2075
                      • Joined: 2/13/2002
                      • Location: Marietta, GA
                      RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Wed, 01/31/07 7:30 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by CoastFan

                      Not just Denver or Louisville. Looks like Pasadena, CA has a place also making the claim. Undoubtedly there are others.

                      quote:
                      http://www.culturefreak.com/tale.html


                      If you go by this article, it places Kaelin's as the first in 1934 with Denver and Pasadena in 1935 and 1937 respectively.
                       
                      #11
                        the ancient mariner

                        • Total Posts: 3987
                        • Joined: 4/6/2004
                        • Location: st petersburg, florida
                        RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Wed, 01/31/07 7:52 AM (permalink)
                        Michael Hoffman that is a great story and I know for a fact every word is true. How, you ask, do I know? When I was a kid in Brooklyn the Kahn's lived on the 3rd floor and I my bestest friend Irving told me they have a picture of Genghis with a sign saying "Genghis Kahn slept here" which he was going to sell on E-Bay. And in the background was the sargent, eating cheeseburger Numero Uno.
                         
                        #12
                          IansMom

                          • Total Posts: 394
                          • Joined: 12/12/2003
                          • Location: Louisville, KY
                          RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Wed, 01/31/07 8:30 AM (permalink)
                          LOL
                           
                          #13
                            Michael Hoffman

                            • Total Posts: 17845
                            • Joined: 7/1/2000
                            • Location: Gahanna, OH
                            RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Wed, 01/31/07 11:10 AM (permalink)
                            That's really interesting, Oh Ancient One. I went to school with a kid named Zezzie Kahn who was a tenor sax player and had his own one-design Zip Class sailboat when he was 12 and living at Bagel Beach (Woodmont) during the summers. Ah, those were the days.
                             
                            #14
                              BuddyRoadhouse

                              • Total Posts: 4082
                              • Joined: 12/10/2004
                              • Location: Des Plaines, IL
                              RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Wed, 01/31/07 2:08 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by CoastFan

                              Not just Denver or Louisville. Looks like Pasadena, CA has a place also making the claim. Undoubtedly there are others.
                              quote:
                              http://www.culturefreak.com/tale.html
                              Actually, if I'm reading the article correctly, Denver is not the birthplace of the cheeseburger itself, but rather the word "Cheeseburger". Anyone else getting that impression?

                              BTW, Mssrs. Hoffman and Mariner, very amusing tales. Not much help answering the question, but amusing nonetheless.

                              Buddy
                               
                              #15
                                corabeth

                                • Total Posts: 157
                                • Joined: 1/2/2005
                                • Location: Seattle, WA
                                RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Wed, 01/31/07 2:10 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                                That's really interesting, Oh Ancient One. I went to school with a kid named Zezzie Kahn who was a tenor sax player and had his own one-design Zip Class sailboat when he was 12 and living at Bagel Beach (Woodmont) during the summers. Ah, those were the days.


                                I have never heard of a Bagel Beach. I have heard of a Bagel Sandwich though.
                                 
                                #16
                                  Michael Hoffman

                                  • Total Posts: 17845
                                  • Joined: 7/1/2000
                                  • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                  RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Wed, 01/31/07 2:27 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by corabeth

                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                                  That's really interesting, Oh Ancient One. I went to school with a kid named Zezzie Kahn who was a tenor sax player and had his own one-design Zip Class sailboat when he was 12 and living at Bagel Beach (Woodmont) during the summers. Ah, those were the days.


                                  I have never heard of a Bagel Beach. I have heard of a Bagel Sandwich though.

                                  While I realize that you are merely attempting, unsuccessfully of course, to pull my chain, Bagel Beach was the name used by those of us who summered in the area for a particular stretch of beach and adjacent cottages in one of the Woodmont Beach sections of Milford, Connecticut.
                                   
                                  #17
                                    corabeth

                                    • Total Posts: 157
                                    • Joined: 1/2/2005
                                    • Location: Seattle, WA
                                    RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Wed, 01/31/07 2:39 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by corabeth

                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                                    That's really interesting, Oh Ancient One. I went to school with a kid named Zezzie Kahn who was a tenor sax player and had his own one-design Zip Class sailboat when he was 12 and living at Bagel Beach (Woodmont) during the summers. Ah, those were the days.


                                    I have never heard of a Bagel Beach. I have heard of a Bagel Sandwich though.

                                    While I realize that you are merely attempting, unsuccessfully of course, to pull my chain, Bagel Beach was the name used by those of us who summered in the area for a particular stretch of beach and adjacent cottages in one of the Woodmont Beach sections of Milford, Connecticut.


                                    Oh c'mon Mr Insecure, it was just a joke.

                                    Methinks it was successful, because you replied so quickly!

                                     
                                    #18
                                      buffetbuster

                                      RE: Today's Restaurant-Kaelin's and the Origin of the Wed, 01/31/07 3:01 PM (permalink)
                                      I am another one who wasn't particularly impressed by Kaelin's. Not that the food was bad or anything, there just wasn't anything really memorable about the place. There are too many other places in the Louisville area I like much better. Like today's restaurant of the day, The Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen, which is fantastic!
                                       
                                      #19
                                        Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                                        Jump to:

                                        Current active users

                                        There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                        Icon Legend and Permission

                                        • New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

                                        2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com