The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Cooking Fish and Seafood

Jellybeans

• Total Posts: 312
Cooking Fish and Seafood Fri, 07/25/03 9:15 AM (permalink)
I'm curious about the range of cooking techniques Americans use to cook fish and seafood. From what I've read on this website, it would seem that deep fried is the preferred method, especially in the South (just like deep fried is the preferred method in England where, bizarrely enough, despite being an island, they seem to not have learned how to cook seafood).

In Chinese cookery, we do fry fish but we prefer it steamed til just cooked, using ginger and other aromatic vegetables and herbs to add flavour. Or, the Hainanese in particular make a broth out of fish bones, dunk some mung bean noodles and all sorts of yummy fish balls, fish cake slices, shredded lettuce, beansprouts and sliced chillies in it. Served with soy sauce-drenched sliced chillies, it makes a very nutritious meal.

In Southeast Asia (where I was born), fish is cooked with okra, tomatoes, lemon grass and onions in a sourish curry that delights the tastebuds. Served with rice, it's a yummy meal in itself. Cockles are de-shelled and added to stir-fried noodles together with plump shrimp, egg, beansprouts, Chinese greens, soy sauce, shredded pork and served with a fiery hot chilli sauce.

How do you cook your fish and seafood?

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
    RE: Cooking Fish and Seafood Fri, 07/25/03 1:51 PM (permalink)
    I usually barbecue or broil it with a citrus-soy--garlic sauce (depending on the fish).

I make salmon with miso, sake, garlic, ginger, green onions, and soy, then put it in a tight foil packet to steam it in the oven.

I've always been fascinated with cedar-plank salmon, but never tried it.

Jellybeans

RE: Cooking Fish and Seafood Fri, 07/25/03 2:01 PM (permalink)
      Ooooooo!!! Your Japanese variation on the good ol' foil-baked fish sounds YUMMY!!! I must try it!!!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
        RE: Cooking Fish and Seafood Fri, 07/25/03 2:14 PM (permalink)
        I have a shrimp dish everyone seems to love. Cook up some rice then put rice in foil as a bed, then on top put shrimp, green onions, garlic, feta or blue cheese and pimentos. Quantities and ingredients can vary to taste but a cup of rice will support about 10 good sized gulf shrimps. Seal up the foil (those foil bags work good) and put in a 400 degree oven for about 25 minutes. Most fish we broil or grill but will sometimes poach a salmon.

VibrationGuy

• Total Posts: 229
          RE: Cooking Fish and Seafood Fri, 07/25/03 3:38 PM (permalink)
          Cedar planks are a great way to cook fish; it's a subtle flavor, but it's a nice foil to the fat of salmon.

I usually broil or grill, or pan-saute. I do have a serious soft spot for salmon tempura though.

Eric

wtgriffin

• Total Posts: 19
            RE: Cooking Fish and Seafood Fri, 07/25/03 4:49 PM (permalink)
            I love deep-fried fish as much as the next guy, but it never seems to be as good at home. Something about the smell gets me, too.

But at home, we've become big grillers of salmon. We like to marinate a nice chunk - preferably Keta if we can find it - in lemon juice and melted butter and then grill it in a fish basket. About 6 minutes per side does the trick, served with risotto or rice, a salad, some crunchy bread and a nice white wine. Delicious!

I've also gotten a lot of critical praise for my shrimp etoufee. The secret is the stick of butter that goes into the stew before you add the shrimp.

And we also like an occasional frogmore stew. That's when you boil shrimp, sausage, new potatoes, corn and mushrooms together. It makes for a great dinner.

Tim G.

Sundancer7

RE: Cooking Fish and Seafood Fri, 07/25/03 5:50 PM (permalink)
              I drove from Seattle to San Diego via the coastal route several years ago. As I passed through Eureka, CA, there was this gentleman selling fresh smoked salmon. It was about 10:00AM. A colleague and myself bought a pound each and the next stop, we bought a six pack each. We stopped at this scenic place by the Pacific and ate the pound of smoke salmon and drank the beers.

About one hour later, both of us had severe stomach problems. I have not been able to consume salmon since. White fish only for me. Haddock, Pollock, halibut and cod are my ocean fish and freshwater fish is walleye, crappie and any pan fish.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                RE: Cooking Fish and Seafood Fri, 07/25/03 8:46 PM (permalink)
                I enjoy fried fish fillets but I almost never make them at home. We catch and eat a lot of fish and about 90% of the time, it's baked. Like Elise, we often do the foil pack thing with all kinds of different ingredients so I guess that might qualify as steamed.

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                  RE: Cooking Fish and Seafood Fri, 07/25/03 9:15 PM (permalink)
                  I have a neighbor who fishes almost every weekend from early spring to late fall. As Ernie Ford would say "Bless his little pea picking heart". Did I say he's a good fisherman & everytime he goes out I get fresh fish - croakers & perch, presented to me fully fileted(sp?) (BHLPPH again), these I pan fry, breading them with Panko seasoned with Old Bay. Then there's the days he gets real lucky & brings home striped bass (known here as Rockfish). I have baked the rock with a sprinkling of Pico De Gallo Con Limon and serve it with a papaya salsa, yum or if I feel really decadent I bake it covered with crab imperial, running it under the broiler to brown at the end, heaven on a plate

Jellybeans

RE: Cooking Fish and Seafood Sat, 07/26/03 11:42 AM (permalink)
                    Wow!!! It all sounds so yummy!!

Being a student, I have no steamer (or one of those giant woks to steam things in), so I also steam my fish by baking. Has anyone here tried seafood curry done Thai or other Southeast Asian styles? It's a great way of eating stuff like squid, shrimp and shellfish

Has anyone tried a simple italian recipe calling for crabmeat sauteed with green chillies, green onions, garlic and chilli oil and drizzled over spaghettini?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com