Cooking Fish and Seafood

Author
Jellybeans
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 312
2003/07/25 09:15:19 (permalink)

Cooking Fish and Seafood

I'm curious about the range of cooking techniques Americans use to cook fish and seafood. From what I've read on this website, it would seem that deep fried is the preferred method, especially in the South (just like deep fried is the preferred method in England where, bizarrely enough, despite being an island, they seem to not have learned how to cook seafood).

In Chinese cookery, we do fry fish but we prefer it steamed til just cooked, using ginger and other aromatic vegetables and herbs to add flavour. Or, the Hainanese in particular make a broth out of fish bones, dunk some mung bean noodles and all sorts of yummy fish balls, fish cake slices, shredded lettuce, beansprouts and sliced chillies in it. Served with soy sauce-drenched sliced chillies, it makes a very nutritious meal.

In Southeast Asia (where I was born), fish is cooked with okra, tomatoes, lemon grass and onions in a sourish curry that delights the tastebuds. Served with rice, it's a yummy meal in itself. Cockles are de-shelled and added to stir-fried noodles together with plump shrimp, egg, beansprouts, Chinese greens, soy sauce, shredded pork and served with a fiery hot chilli sauce.

How do you cook your fish and seafood?

9 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1