Who Makes Your Favorite Borscht?

Author
rockfest
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
2007/02/13 22:39:04 (permalink)

Who Makes Your Favorite Borscht?

My Dad has been making a variety of Polish borscht since I was a kid. He makes it twice a year... for Easter and XMas Eve. It takes days involving oatmeal, rye bread, straining the liquid from the mush, and who knows what other steps. It was always a bit bitter and I don't think I'd like it if it weren't for the mashed potatoes and melted butter that help mellow it out. In the last 10 years or so my dad started to add caramelized onions to the butter. It seemed perfect.

The thought of borscht with nothing in it never occurred to me until I tried some at a local restaurant www.collegiancourt.com in Chicopee MA. It was OK. But one day there was a borscht that was on the sweet side and I loved it... so much so that I had another cup for desert. That day the borscht was made by Dorothy, the matriarch of the family who owns the restaurant. They don't have it every Polish buffet day... sometimes using a concentrate from Chicopee Provision. I've repeatedly suggested Dorothy market it on the side.

Sorry Dad!

9 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1