CajunKing's Adventure to Mexico Beach, Florida

Author
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
2007/02/14 23:59:52 (permalink)

CajunKing's Adventure to Mexico Beach, Florida

Feb 13, 2007 - Southeast Indiana

Today I am getting ready to head south for the 9th annual gumbo cookoff in Mexico Beach, Florida. I have things to pack and things to do before I head out at 6AM tomorrow.

I opened the door to head out and guess what Mother Nature has been busy, the wonderful snow we had was getting rained on, the temp was hovering around 31 degrees and the ice was building up fast.

I got home about 3:30 this afternoon and loading the cooler with all the goodies for my gumbo, and went inside to pack my suitcase. Again mothernature plays a trick on me, and we lost power.

Have you ever tried paccking a suitcase by candle light?? It is not the easiest thing to do. I hope I didn't forget anything. Finally about 11pm the power is restored, and the house can start to warm up.

I have everything loaded into the car, and I really hope in the morning I can get into the car with all this ice forming. We shall see.

05:30am, power went out again, good thing I have a battery operated alarm clock. Dearborn County is under a level 3 snow emergency, no one allowed out on the road or ELSE!!

Finally at 6am I got the car somewhat scraped off, and somewhat warm, the temp dropped to 12 degrees last night, hey when did this snow start falling.

I met my friend at the local Wal-Mart and we set out, travelling a whole 20 miles an hour along the highway. We finally get out to the interstate and YEAHHHHH we can go a whole 45 mph now. As we head south the ice and snow gets less and less, and by the time we are in Louisville, there is just a little blowing powdery snow, but nothing really slowing us down.

We got to Elizabethtown, KY and stopped for breakfast. My friend will only eat breakfast at Cracker Barrell, so we stop there. Walking through the parking lot, I don't notice this patch of black ice and down I go.

Laying there on the ground wondering what the heck just happened. I tried to get up and my knee gives out and down I go for the second time. Finally I get to my feet and walk tenderly into the CB.

The food was ok, the service was horrible. I had the country boy breakfast (3 eggs, steak, grits, biscuit gravy, hash browns and baked apples) Everything was ok but the steak they mashed it to hurry it up and it had a nasty burnt bark on it.

We ate and I limped back out to the car, this is where I must say painkillers can be a wonderful thing, when you need them. I took some and slept for a while.

At this point I must stop for now, it has been a LONG day, and my second round of pain meds are starting to kick in.

More tomorrow, including pix.

So for now from Mexico Beach, Florida where the introverts stare at their shoes and the extroverts stare at yours, TTFN.

18 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1