Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Beef Ribs- The butcher cut ??

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15057
  • Roadfood Insider
Beef Ribs- The butcher cut ?? Thu, 03/1/07 10:41 AM (permalink)

On our recent Texas trip we enjoyed Beef Ribs at Louis Muellers BBQ. When I have eaten Beef Ribs in 'Non-Texas' locations the Ribs were usually the bones from a Standing Rib Roast (Prime Rib), very similar in appearance to the Pork 'Spare-Rib' bones. The Texas Ribs (see the photo) looked at first like the Beef Ribs sold in many grocery meat departments- a long flat length of bone- with one major difference. They had a thick layer of meat (pretty fatty meat)attached to the 'underside' of the bone.

Now I understand that these ribs are cut from the rib-section 'further down the rib than the Rib-Roast area. My Question is-- Where does that block of absolutely delicious meet come from? I have never seen ribs in the butcher meat case that had that quantity or quality of meat on the underside of the bone. The store-bought ribs have a small amount of meat connecting the ribs, but nothing UNDER the bone.
The photo shows two beef ribs in the upper right... You can see the depth of the meat I am asking about. The top bone had that chunk of beef trimmed off (TwinWillow Bought it) but the lower rib is intact and demonstrates the cut I am asking about.

Any help in identifing this 'mystery meat' will be appreciated. I would like to find some ribs cut in this manner locally to try them in my smoker.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com