Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella!

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 51 of 51
leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Sat, 08/2/08 5:52 PM (permalink)
Ketchup with a "C" ...there's the clue...California!!!!

tommyeats

• Total Posts: 277
    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Sun, 08/3/08 9:29 AM (permalink)
    tomatoes in ketchup? isn't ketchup/catsup really just vaguely-tomato-flavored high fructose corn syrup?

leethebard

RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Sun, 08/3/08 8:43 PM (permalink)
      Yup!!!

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
        RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Mon, 08/4/08 11:33 AM (permalink)
        I have an easy recipe but like Twin said, no Jersey's here in N. Texas. I use Romas.

Slice romas about 3/4" thick. I get 3 slices per mater (Texan for tomato). Fill up a nuker safe plate with em. Next drizzle w/ plenty of olive oil. Sprinkle w/ S&P, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Now top with grated parmesan, shreaded romano, and a slice of fresh mozzarella. Now nuke it till the mozz starts to melt. Then put it under the broiler until the mozz starts to get crusty. Then eat em w/ some good bread for dipping the extra olive oil.

You could do the whole thing in the oven but the nuker saves energy, especially in the summer.
        Joe

efuery

• Total Posts: 630
          RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Mon, 08/4/08 11:40 AM (permalink)
          Mmm fresh 'maters - I like to have them in a grilled cheese sandwich using provolone instead of american cheese. I like to give the bread a brushing of garlic butter too.

wowdogs

• Total Posts: 14
            RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Mon, 08/4/08 12:06 PM (permalink)
            Jersey Tomato and Garlic Sandwiches!

Take the freshest white bread, spread a generous amount of Hellmann's Mayo, plenhty of fresh ground black pepper, slices of tomato and very thinly sliced garlic (the more the better, but I'm a garlic freak)

A true summer treat!

leethebard

RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Mon, 08/4/08 2:02 PM (permalink)
              Wow...sounds good...especially with a nice after dinner mint!!!

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
                RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Mon, 08/4/08 7:18 PM (permalink)
                The only problem with growing your own Jersey tomatoes (in NJ) is that we anxiously wait for the ripening, and they all ripen at once. I guess I have to start canning, soon.

leethebard

RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Mon, 08/4/08 7:25 PM (permalink)
                  Or make a great pot of sauce, especially if you have plum tomatoes!!

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1560
                    RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Tue, 08/5/08 10:04 PM (permalink)
                    <<Fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil from our own pot growing on the patio, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, extra virgin olive oil; food of the gods! We had it for supper last night.>>

To that we add good olives, some fresh cut vidalia onion and crusty Italian bread. Oh yeah, and maybe a glass (or three) of slightly chilled red wine.

--Ken, from NJ, but not a fanatic about NJ tomatoes other than our own home grown.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4900
                      RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Tue, 08/5/08 10:11 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by CCinNJ

The only problem with growing your own Jersey tomatoes (in NJ) is that we anxiously wait for the ripening, and they all ripen at once. I guess I have to start canning, soon.

Can I join you? I'll bring my own can.

CCinNJ

RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Wed, 08/6/08 1:05 AM (permalink)
                        Sure. BYOC.

Remember I have 24 lb's of bacon in the freezer. You might want to bring bread and lettuce. Mayo is optional.

leethebard

RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Thu, 08/7/08 2:39 PM (permalink)
                          Had our first Ramapo today...first ripe one!!! Delicious...made a great BLT!!! Looking forward to many more!!!!

tommyeats

RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Thu, 08/7/08 7:55 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by leethebard

Had our first Ramapo today...first ripe one!!! Delicious...made a great BLT!!! Looking forward to many more!!!!

unfortunately that ramapo from your garden has about as much to do with jersey tomatoes as does a chicken.

got some late summer tomatoes in my yard that I'm looking forward to. in the meantime send me some of yours.

leethebard

RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Fri, 08/8/08 7:47 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by tommyeats

quote:

unfortunately that ramapo from your garden has about as much to do with jersey tomatoes as does a chicken.

got some late summer tomatoes in my yard that I'm looking forward to. in the meantime send me some of yours.

Please explain...the Ramapo tomato was developed at rutgers U. over thirty years ago...cultivated lately overseas and reintroduced this year! It's a Jersey creation!!!

tommyeats

RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Fri, 08/8/08 11:25 AM (permalink)
                                quote:

quote:

quote:

Please explain...the Ramapo tomato was developed at rutgers U. over thirty years ago...cultivated lately overseas and reintroduced this year! It's a Jersey creation!!!

i'm aware of its history. however when people are buying "jersey tomatoes", and when they have been buying jersey tomatoes for many years, they're not buying ramapos that have been grown to ripeness in your back yard.

leethebard

RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Fri, 08/8/08 1:19 PM (permalink)
                                  Our local market sells vine ripened locally grown Jersey tomatoes that are pretty good...and held us over 'til our own were ready......duplicated by several other produce stands,who swear they were not picked very green...the taste test could confirm that,,,,now super markets would be another thing.

CCinNJ

RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Fri, 08/8/08 5:00 PM (permalink)
                                    Here is an interesting article about Jersey tomatoes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/23/dining/23toma.html?ei=5070&em=&en=40fe5dc95aaa600e&ex=1217044800&pagewanted=all

My "Jersey Romas" (said with pride & joy, grown right in my Jersey garden) are ripe and delicious!!!

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4900
                                      RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Fri, 08/8/08 5:15 PM (permalink)
                                      Fresh, vine ripened New Jersey beefsteak tomatoes with fresh, imported (Italian) bufala mozzarella and fresh basil leaves. That's summer to me.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                        RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Fri, 08/8/08 5:45 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:

tomatoes in ketchup? isn't ketchup/catsup really just vaguely-tomato-flavored high fructose corn syrup?

Maybe you should reserve eight pounds of those Jersey tomatoes to make about two pints of homemade ketchup sometime. Then you'll know what real ketchup/catsup tastes like.

leethebard

RE: Jersey Tomatoes, Fresh Mozzarella! Sat, 08/9/08 9:26 AM (permalink)
                                          CCinNJ and Twinwillow...I guess we know the real truth about our Jersey tomatoes...perfect soil and climate for perfect tomatoes...what ever variety...you Jersey detractors...come to the Jersey shore..or away from the metropolitan cities....there is a reason we were called "The Garden" State...it was because of truck gardens...or those excellent vegetable gardens of old....well it IS still going on in the Garden State!!!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                            Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 51 of 51

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com