The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

The End Of A Tradition

dale8783

• Total Posts: 7
The End Of A Tradition Tue, 03/6/07 8:17 PM (permalink)
The rumor is....Bubbling Brook in Westwood MA won't be opening this season. It's been sold and will be turned into a Dunkin Donuts. Like we don't have enough of those. A lot of people are going to be very disappointed. It's all about money. If you want more Dunkin Donuts shops keep giving them your money. How much does a cup of coffee cost to make? Probably not more than 25 cents and that includes the cup and all the things you add. How much do you pay for a cup of coffee? $1.50 or more? No wonder there are more of these places turning up on every corner. What a goldmine! Maybe I'm a little bitter over this considering 1) the way I found out about Bubbling Brook closing (rumor only - nothing was posted on their website so it looks like they would open as usual) , 2) I don't drink coffee so I never go to Dunkin Donuts. If anyone knows of a decent seafood, grilled hot dogs and hamburgers /ice cream place near Walpole/Norwood/Westwood or surrounding area please post ideas. I am going to keep looking. There are plenty of acceptable ice cream stands in the area (Tootsie's in Wrentham, Scoops in Walpole-at Watson's Candies, Crescent Ridge in Sharon, The Ice Jack in Norwood).

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
    RE: The End Of A Tradition Tue, 03/6/07 9:44 PM (permalink)
    This is HORRIBLE!!!The Brook was has been a family favorite for my family for as long as i can remember---we lived in Millis and Medfield and went to my grandparents in Norwood every week and this was a long time favorite stop for softserve, and when i was a kid and would trek to Noni's on my bike, it was a great spot for a grilled cheese and a frappe!--and after swimming at New Pond---back before the churh bouth the beach-it was a must stop! I am truly saddened--i do like Dunkin Donuts--and miss them now that i live far from them--but my trips back home always included a stop at the Brook. Im crushed!
    ---and Dale--over on rte--just south of the stadium--KILLER seafood at the Red Top--no Red somthing or other--wonderfull fishermans platter! I will call my brother and double check on the name---i know its Red somthing--not RedTop-thats the bait shop on the canal--i believe that the Sunshine Dairy in Framingham is still around--alot like the Bubbling Brook menu--with their own very good ice cream.

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
      RE: The End Of A Tradition Wed, 03/7/07 10:26 AM (permalink)
      Okay, anger, denial...

This is not possible. I just "discovered" Bubbling Brook last year. I really can't imagine DD taking over that spot. It's way too much real estate. I also have trouble imagining the citizenry of Westwood permitting such a travesty in their midst. Heaven's, what next, a Wal-Mart?

BTW - DD had a plan to move into the dead mini-mart in Sharon. It was more than a rumor, it was published in the local paper that they were going to create one of their new cafe-style locations there. Well, the mini-mart is back on the market, and the new concept DDs don't seem to be spreading.

Tiki - it's the Red Wing. Great old diner and family restaurant, but no replacement for the old-fashioned ice cream stand / clam and dog shack that is the Bubbling Brook. IMO the clams are better at Bubbling Brook.

Let's hope it isn't true.

tiki

RE: The End Of A Tradition Wed, 03/7/07 12:54 PM (permalink)
        The Red Wing--thats the place--thanks Ashphault.---oh---and i do remember a spot for clams AND ice cream--but its another place whose name escapes me--but its real close to Ma Glockners on Maple street in Bellingham--found it on my last trip home--had great clams--and lots of them at a fair price-- and good ice cream too--any of you Bay Staters know it,by chqance?--or if any of you are out that way-maybe you can check it out and see if it is still there and still good.

ice cream fan

• Total Posts: 1
          RE: The End Of A Tradition Thu, 03/15/07 10:13 AM (permalink)
          After reading these posts about Bubbling Brook, earlier this week, I called Bubbling Brook, and they confirmed the place has NOT been sold and in fact they hope to open for the season later next week.

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
            RE: The End Of A Tradition Thu, 03/15/07 10:58 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by ice cream fan

After reading these posts about Bubbling Brook, earlier this week, I called Bubbling Brook, and they confirmed the place has NOT been sold and in fact they hope to open for the season later next week.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of driving by this weekend to scope it out for the site, but the latest forecast doesn't sound much like ice-cream stand weather.

Soon, though, very soon.

tiki

RE: The End Of A Tradition Thu, 03/15/07 12:33 PM (permalink)
              YES!!!! Glad to hear it!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com