Hot!Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 14
Author
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6398
2007/03/11 18:33:29 (permalink)

Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS

It was another stay in Saturday night watching Borat on DVD. So, I made another pizza starting at 4 PM making the dough from 2-1/2 cups flour, 1 cup warm water with a packet of yeast and a pinch of sugar, a dash of salt and garlic powder in the flour, and olive oil to wet the wooden spoon. I hand knead my dough, turn and fold, turn and fold and so on. By hand kneading I get a feel for the dough's texture and workability and add olive oil or more flour as I go as needed. Then I let it sit for about an hour covered while I prepare the other ingredients. When it rises I punch it down and let it sit again. Also during this time I have to stove pre-heating at 450F with a pizza stone on the bottom rack.

I use a 16" aluminum pizza pan. First I form the pizza by hand on the knuckles. Still have not mastered the art of tossing. I drop it on the pan and push it out to the edge and then pinch the dough around the edge to form a slight lip. My last pizza was a deep dish where I put provolone cheese in the bottom first. I did this on my flat pizza thus...

Next I spread pre-cooked with a chopped red onion and a little fennel seed, hot Italian sausage. After I cooked the sausage and onion I poured off as much fat as possble and let it sit in a bowl with paper towels to bleed off more fat - my token healthyism.

I spread just a little bit of pizza sauce and a sprinkling of oregano first and then evenly spread out the sausage mix. I de-imphazised the sauce on this one using probably half of what I would normally put on. Next I placed baby bella sliced mushrooms thus...

Next I topped the pizza with shredded mozzerella cheese topped with black olives and finished off with a cross sliced banana pepper. I find that if I place an aluminum pan directly on a stone, the heat transfers rather quickly and I get an even crust lightly browned on the bottom. This pizza baked in a quick 15 minutes at 450F. And this is how it turned out...

PS. I forgot to add. They came out of the oven at 6 PM.

408 Replies Related Threads

xannie_01
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/03/11 18:40:49 (permalink)
    davydd,
    do you deliver??
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/03/11 18:48:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by xannie_01

davydd,
    do you deliver??

I worked for an independent pizza restaurant when in high school and watched how the owner struggled. As much as I would love to make pizzas for a living and deliver, I'll leave that to Tom on Desparate Houswives.
    dholk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/03/11 19:24:07 (permalink)
    Beautiful pizza, Davydd.

I worked for a pizza chain before and all through college. It was a good chain as far as they go and I did learn to make and work with dough everyday. It's pretty clear to me that the crust is the make or break aspect of a great pizza. You can only go so far using pre-made crusts like Boboli or even using frozen bread dough. To get in the top 20% or so, you have to master the crust. The real art is in the dough and the heat/pan/stone you cook it on, IMHO.

That said, the only time I've made my own pizza dough is when I am visiting my folks and I can use my Mom's kitchen-aid mixer with the dough hook thats a decent mini-version of the Hobart floor mixer I used for years.

Am I reading your description right that you make the dough completely by hand? What, just a pile of flour, pour the water/yeast on top and knead?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and pics with us.
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/03/11 19:49:22 (permalink)
    looks good Davydd...................... I too love making pizza.
    thanks for letting us see yours.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/03/11 20:27:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dholk

Beautiful pizza, Davydd.

Am I reading your description right that you make the dough completely by hand? What, just a pile of flour, pour the water/yeast on top and knead?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and pics with us.

Yes, totally by hand. First I olive oil up a wooden spoon and mix everything until it is almost a ball and then I knead the ball by hand for about 5 minutes folding it over and over. It's a mindless exercise and lets you feel the dough. This is when I add a little olive oil or flour as needed to get just the right mix and feel. I might add hand kneading is less clean up too. All you have to do is wash your hands which I do frequently so I can grab a beer.
    007bond-jb
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 926
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/03/12 16:32:11 (permalink)
    Great lookin pie Davydd, Provalone & mozzerella are what lots of pizza joints use. sometimes I like cheese under toppings sometimes cheese over you did both!! Great idea! rock on guy.
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/03/12 18:24:56 (permalink)

Another Saturday, another masterpiece! Looks great Davydd, as usual!

DD
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/03/12 19:05:53 (permalink)
    ===Still have not mastered the art of tossing. I drop it on the pan and push it out to the edge and then pinch the dough around the edge to form a slight lip. My last pizza was a deep dish where I put provolone cheese in the bottom first.===

Try using a rolling pin to make your circle. Put your hands gently under the middle and try from there. Start with small circles at first as you may still want to stretch it out on the pan. As time passes, you should become more confident.
    I can't toss one up in the air, but sometimes I get a good spin....

Oh yeah, I like how the cheese is on the bottom and nicely browned on top.

mark
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/03/12 19:25:17 (permalink)
    Looks good. Bananna peppers are one of my favorite toppings. What? Needs more onions IMO. Do you use a dough docker? Tossing & spinning made a lot easier. Dough must be proofed, of course, but very cold for best results.
    dholk
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/03/12 19:49:51 (permalink)
    Adjudicator,

Using a dough docker makes throwing easier? I was taught to use it to reduce bubbles in the crust during baking. I had no idea that docking also made it easier to throw. Thanks for the tip.

Dave
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/03/12 20:20:00 (permalink)
    quote:

Adjudicator,

Using a dough docker makes throwing easier? I was taught to use it to reduce bubbles in the crust during baking. I had no idea that docking also made it easier to throw. Thanks for the tip.

Dave

As to above, yes indeed a docker's main use is on the dough way before it even hits the oven. Press your dough out as much as possible on your working surface. Use the docker thoroughly on the product (i.e. not just one or two swipes). There are many types of dough dockers out there. The best ones use FLAT (not pointed) aluminum pins. You will not have excessive "bubbles" if the docker is used correctly. Also and this applies for all; even those in the pizza service industry: If a chain oven is used =====>>> , the pizza WILL suck.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/03/12 20:55:11 (permalink)
    There was plenty of onion but I put it in when I browned the Italian sausage in a frying pan. It kind of blends out of appearance that way. I did it that way because my wife prefers the onion carmelized.

I must be missing something about a dough docker. Rarely does my pizza crust bubble probably because I generally go heavy on the toppings. But when I start out with a dough ball and start working it out by hand off the table, spinning on the knuckles, etc., when does the dough docker come into play? I can usually spin the dough out to just about cover the pan before flopping it down and then stretch it out to the edge. I haven't needed a rolling pin. I just haven't worked up the courage to toss it in the air in fear of dropping it and having to start all over.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8515
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/03/12 21:06:20 (permalink)
    This low carb way of living is killing me!!!!Your pizza looks divine!
    dholk
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/03/12 21:42:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

Adjudicator,

Dave

As to above, yes indeed a docker's main use is on the dough way before it even hits the oven. Press your dough out as much as possible on your working surface. Use the docker thoroughly on the product (i.e. not just one or two swipes). There are many types of dough dockers out there. The best ones use FLAT (not pointed) aluminum pins. You will not have excessive "bubbles" if the docker is used correctly. Also and this applies for all; even those in the pizza service industry: If a chain oven is used =====>>> , the pizza WILL suck.

I agree, use the dough docker prior to baking. Thanks for sharing that insight.
    dickestep
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 533
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/03/14 00:49:51 (permalink)
    Mmm, great looking Pizza, Davy! I can almost smell it.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/09/16 10:21:56 (permalink)
    Saturday night is my pizza night and here is another one made with all things, ground bison.

This is the first time I actually prepared my dough 24 hours in advance and proofed it in the refrigerator. I'm learning. It made a major difference in how it handled and how it came out in a very consistent thin style. So I've become convert if and only if I can plan ahead that far.

The ground bison is a lean, but dry meat without a lot of rich flavor. I pre-cooked it with a lot of doctoring up with oregano, basil, thyme, fennel, cayenne and garlic to try to put some Italian into it. In the future I'll stick to pork sausage.

On top of the dough I put a thin coating of tomato sauce and then covered it with provolone cheese. Then I covered that with a layer of chopped fresh spinach leaves. Next came the bison, onion, and bella mushrooms followed by a light sprinkling of mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Then I layered a few cross sliced Anaheim peppers and finished off with sliced Romano tomatoes.

John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/09/17 11:27:34 (permalink)
    Looking good Davydd, keep it up. Thanks
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/09/17 12:47:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

Saturday night is my pizza night..... This is the first time I actually prepared my dough 24 hours in advance and proofed it in the refrigerator. I'm learning. It made a major difference in how it handled and how it came out in a very consistent thin style. So I've become convert if and only if I can plan ahead that far....

Since Saturday night is your pizza night, try preparing your dough on Wednesday or even Tuesday night. It will handle even better and the taste will improve also. The only thing you have to (perhaps) do differently is use less yeast. For two 16" pizzas, I use a scant 1/2 teaspoon of active dry yeast. Also, be sure to get the dough in the fridge as soon as possible after prep. btw, that bison pie looks great! pb
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/10/13 20:03:29 (permalink)
    It's Saturday night and another pizza. This time I kept it simple and did not load it up with a lot of different ingredients. I made my dough ahead of time again. I spread the dough out on a pizza tin that is perforated with tiny holes while the oven is pre-heating at 500 degrees with a pizza stone. I'm in to spinning the pizza to make it large enough before plopping it down on the tin. Then I spread just a little bit of pizza sauce on the dough and topped that with provolone cheese. I sauteed a package of hot Italian sausage with chopped onions until it was thoroughly cooked and then drained off the fat. Then I chopped 2 oz. of fresh basil and half a garlic and spread that over the provolone. Then placed the sausage and onion and added a little bit of mozzarella and parmesan cheese as a binder. The green you see is the chopped basil leaves. Baked it for 10 minutes. There is not a pizza restaurant in town that can touch my pizzas now but I doubt I could afford to stay in business with the cost of ingredients I put in the pizzas. The fresh basil alone cost me 3 bucks.

007bond-jb
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 926
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/10/16 11:20:48 (permalink)
    The pizzas look great DD. I might have already told you about this site I don't remember.
    http://www.pizzamaking.com/
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/10/17 07:02:35 (permalink)
    That's a real good looking pizza Davydd, very nice job.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/10/17 09:11:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 007bond-jb

The pizzas look great DD. I might have already told you about this site I don't remember.
    http://www.pizzamaking.com/

I occasionally read pizzamaking.com but have never registered to post. It is a great source for information.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/11/04 18:08:17 (permalink)
    Yep, last night was pizza Saturday night. This time we had our son and family with us so I made two pizzas. The first was a traditional Margherita pizza with fresh basil, tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and sliced Romano tomatoes - nothing fancy.

The second was an Italian sausage with provolone cheese base on the dough like I like to do, tomato sauce, onions, sausage and black olives topped with a six cheese blend.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/11/04 20:08:36 (permalink)
    mouth-watering!!
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/11/05 09:18:24 (permalink)
    Sure is, has me drooling.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/11/17 21:14:30 (permalink)
    It's Saturday night/ Guess what? Another pizza. This time I baked it in our new oven ( http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23338 ) on a new pizza stone using a pizza peel instead of a pan. Also I shelled out for some high gluten wheat flour that I mixed in with the bread flour. The pizza is provolone cheese, mozzarella cheese, red sauce, hot Italian sausage, baby bella mushrooms, onion, Romano tomatoes, chopped garlic and basil and oregano spices. Baked at 500 degrees for 11 minutes.

Pizza on the stone

Perfectly browned crust

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/11/18 09:22:10 (permalink)
    Davydd-Just want you to know I love your pizza posts and pics...wish you were here on Saturday nights!!
    brightcopperkettles
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 200
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/11/18 13:06:39 (permalink)
    Man, I want to eat at your house, Davy!!
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Another Saturday, Another Pizza - PICS 2007/11/18 13:44:07 (permalink)

I've stopped posting my Pizza pics 'caus Dayvdd's puts mine to shame!

Nice work, my friend!

DD

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 14
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1