The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Save the World Chicken Soup

dickestep

• Total Posts: 533
Save the World Chicken Soup Thu, 03/22/07 4:39 AM (permalink)
My kids decided long ago if ordinary chicken soup can cure the common cold, this soup could save the world. Thus their name for it, "Save the World Chicken Soup."
Let's see if I can remember the list... A whole boiled chicken, chopped up (I dice the skin and leave most of it in the broth), it is supposed to have medicinal qualities), Anaheim green chilis, yellow onions, garlic, Brussels sprouts, brocolli, cauliflower, fresh snow peas, carrots, and a couple of cans of Mexican-style corn. If you use regular corn add some pimento, or a big red bell pepper or two. Mushrooms are also welcome in most anything I cook. My second wife didn't like tomatos, so they were left out of the first batch of this, but a can of tomatos works well if desired.
The major seasonings I use in it are Tony Chachere's Seasoning, fresh ground black pepper, bay leaves, basil, oregano, and sage.
This has to be served with an iron skillet of corn bread, of course. My Father-in-law the first time I made this was eighty-something years old. I sent some soup to him in one of those three pound plastic bowls butter comes in, with half of a square skillet which held a double batch of cornbread. Mom-in-law ate one bowl, he ate the rest at one sitting. He pronounced it THE best chicken soup he'd ever eaten. :-)

rouxdog

• Total Posts: 1421
    RE: Save the World Chicken Soup Thu, 03/22/07 5:35 PM (permalink)
    You frighten me! Don't get me wrong, that "save the world chicken soup recipe" your children come up with works for me! Sounds a lot like my "let's see what I can find in the pantry, frig and freezer" recipe.
    Shoot, with enough spices, etc. even chicken tastes good!
    Get'n a little personal now, BUT,
    don't mean to meddle, but how many wives do you have??? I admire a man who's able to deal with multiples. I've strived to keep peace with ONE for 35 years! Still trying!
    I know this is about chicken soup, but maybe we might digress for a moment to hear your "way with women".
    Let's just call it male therapy?
    You know I love ya,
    Ole Rouxdog

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
      RE: Save the World Chicken Soup Thu, 03/22/07 8:31 PM (permalink)
      I worked with a lady who had had her own restaurant and retired, then came to work for us. She had a recipe she called "Spring Soup" which was a lot like this. It was awesome. I had forgotten about it. Time to make some. Thanks!

dickestep

RE: Save the World Chicken Soup Fri, 03/23/07 12:47 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by rouxdog

Get'n a little personal now, BUT,
        don't mean to meddle, but how many wives do you have??? I admire a man who's able to deal with multiples. I've strived to keep peace with ONE for 35 years! Still trying!
        I know this is about chicken soup, but maybe we might digress for a moment to hear your "way with women".
        Let's just call it male therapy?
        You know I love ya,
        Ole Rouxdog

Pard, I swear I've never had more than one wife in my house... Well, there was this one time, when gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

dickestep

RE: Save the World Chicken Soup Fri, 03/23/07 12:53 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by shortchef

I worked with a lady who had had her own restaurant and retired, then came to work for us. She had a recipe she called "Spring Soup" which was a lot like this. It was awesome. I had forgotten about it. Time to make some. Thanks!
          Thank you, Shortchef! I'm glad this one brought back good memories. I've cooked it for ill Friends and Family many times since.

rouxdog

RE: Save the World Chicken Soup Fri, 03/23/07 1:21 AM (permalink)
            dickestep,
            I'M AHEARING YOU!
            thanks for the therapy session, it has been helpful. I especially appreciate the modest fee you charge.
            Ole Rouxdog
            PS. I particularly like to be liberal with Tarragon in chicken soup.

rouxdog

RE: Save the World Chicken Soup Fri, 03/23/07 1:49 AM (permalink)
              Dick,
              Feel like I owe you a serious note. Your recipe sounds very good. You begin with a whole chicken, then your children build from there. In my opinion, theres only one thing better than a delicious pot of chicken soup we adults might make, thats a pot of chicken soup OUR children gleefully and eagerly put together. I remember and cherish those times in the kitchen with our children.
              It don't get any better for me.
              Ole Rouxdog

dickestep

RE: Save the World Chicken Soup Fri, 03/23/07 2:25 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by rouxdog

Dick,
                Feel like I owe you a serious note. Your recipe sounds very good. You begin with a whole chicken, then your children build from there. In my opinion, theres only one thing better than a delicious pot of chicken soup we adults might make, thats a pot of chicken soup OUR children gleefully and eagerly put together. I remember and cherish those times in the kitchen with our children.
                It don't get any better for me.
                Ole Rouxdog

Rouxdog, you just reminded me of another type of soup entirely, but it deserves another thread. Thank you for the inspiration.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com